[HOWTO] HAiPAD M701 Flashing firmware on windows vista

myact

Nov 13, 2010
locohasa, thanks for your reply. There is no "left button on the top". There is only the round "[]" button on my front screen. The "On/Off" slider is on the side. I did not see any other button. There is something on the side which is similar to the button that I use to turn up/down the volume on my phone. I tried that too.
I am attaching the picture of my unit. Can you help me locate this button? Thanks again.
$DSC01418.jpg

locohasa

Nov 24, 2010
hi myact yes the left button i mean is the top what you say volume button. There is no dedicated volume button on this device i believe. The round button is just a back button when on the device, the top black two buttons that look like volume are used to return to home screen and switch device on and off. So try holding down the left button (which you think is volume down) on top for a few seconds also make sure slider switch on side is switched on. fingers crossed

myact

Nov 13, 2010
locohasa, thanks for the clarification. I tried that but no luck.... If I keep the central [] button down for 20 seconds, I hear a brief sound (pretty much like the system is going to shut down).... however nothing happens when I keep the "home" button pressed, even for 20 seconds.

apad.king

Aug 20, 2010
Sorry been away for a while while I sort out a bad shipment of Apads from china.

I bought 20 of the m701 apads and everyone of them started to go faulty after a few days of testing. Basically the screen would go blank while using it and then it would appear as if the unit was not powering on.

In fact it was powering on and I was able to load firmware as per my instructions at start of this thread but couldn't see anything on screen.

But it seems there is a know fault with a recent batch of these tablets where the screen shorts out against the circuit board and hence the screen doesn't come on. The fix is to put some tape between screen and circuit board. Here is a video link. B-WPAD solution of Power onDoesn't Work (The_solution_of_Power_onDoesn_t_Work.AVI) - DivShare

The tablets initially came with Android 2.2 but that was fake and just 2.1 with the version number changed. Also it was pretty unstable. I loaded the firmware from HAIPAD version 2.1 and that semed OK until the screen problem occured. The tablets were the ones where the SD card stuck out by approx 1/3rd.

In the end I had to open a paypal disute with DHgate where I bought them from as DHgates customer service was crap and the end seller would not give a refund. I managed to get refund from Paypal but am still waiting for return postage costs from seller. I'm not holding my breath. The seller by the way is ce_vayava also known as Alvin on DHgate.

Stay well away from that seller.

So maybe some of you who have blank screens will have the same issue.

Hope this helps.

majrul

Oct 25, 2010
Hi,

I've discovered these very simple steps to boot the haipad into upgrade mode and i am sure it will help everyone.

1) Switch off the pad completely, with the power slider in the off state.
2) Connect the USB cord to the PC and the Pad (order is not important).
3) Now connect both the rocker switch together. Yes, together not one by one.
4) And then move the slider to turn on the haipad.

This will successfully start the pad in firmware upgrade mode. FWDN will detect the pad, enable the NAND area button and then follow the steps which you know.

5) According to me, this step is optional. But in case if FWDN is unable to detect the pad, after completing step 4, press the Home button along with the rockers still pressed, for a while till FWDN detects it.

Hope this information helps!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I've found that with the latest Android 2.1 firmware for this tablet getting into update mode or safe mode is a LOT easier now than it was with the original firmware. I previously had to slide the switch, press the "power" side of the rocker, then hold down both sides of the rocker AND the "back" button and if I didn't do it fast enough it would just boot into "safe mode." If I wanted to go into safe mode I had to hold down the "menu" side of the rocker and the "back" button on the front all the time until I got to the home screen, or it would just go into normal boot mode.

Now, though, I just need to hold down the "menu" side of the rocker up to the "Android" screen and I go into safe mode. I just need to hold down both sides of the rocker to get into update mode. So much simpler now!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Can someone just install clockwork recovery and make a nandroid back up for me. It would be much appreciated

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

AsianSX

Dec 26, 2010
I don't think someone can give you a nandroid backup, because it will restore there personal info, unless someone has a backup of the device before the set it up.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Release Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum App

ilemona

Dec 26, 2010
I tried your steps on my MD701 and I did get the Haipad splash screen, FWDN detects tablet and it seems like the upgrade is proceeding well but it always hangs at the CRC check and I never get the green window my window remains purple. I would appreciate any assistance and has anyone else tun intop this?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
ilemona, is yours the 4GB or 2GB model? That CRC check stuff sounds familiar, like if you try to apply the 2GB firmware to the 4GB tablet (because they have different flash storage chips).

ilemona

Dec 26, 2010
You may be on to something here, please see the description of what I ordered: Android 2.1 Tablet PC-aPad-MID-7" TFT Touch Screen-ARM 11-Telechips 8902B-720MHZ-256 DDR2-2G-Wifi-Camera(SMQ5821) Any ideas on where I can get the firmware for this tablet , I have been trying the one from HAIPAD, thanks

Last edited:

jpma2001

Oct 23, 2011
Hello!

I have had my Haipad for about a year now and recently followed the instructions in the first posting on this thread to update the firmware version of my device. I am writing to you directly as it seems you know quite a bit about this device. After following all of the instructions above, I restarted my device and it now shows a new Flash screen image, but then freezes. I was hoping you might have a suggestion to help me? If not, do you know how I can restore the device back? Thank you.

jpma2001

Oct 23, 2011
Hello!

I have had my Haipad for about a year now and recently followed the instructions in this first posting on this thread to update the firmware version of my device. I am writing to you directly as it seems you know quite a bit about this device. After following all of the instructions above, I restarted my device and it now shows a new Flash screen image, but then freezes. I was hoping you might have a suggestion to help me? If not, do you know how I can restore the device back? Thank you.​