[HowTo] Titanium Backup - Restore Apps + System Data to New ROM

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Here is how to use Titanium Backup to backup all your current ROMs and system data, then restore it all to the new ROM you just installed.

First to create your Backup.

1. If you don't have it, install Titanium backup. (I strongly recommend donating for the full version. Its only $6 so don't be cheap)
  2. Launch Titanium Backup.
  3. Tap the Menu button.
  4. Select Batch at the bottom of the screen.
  5. Tap RUN next to Backup all user apps + system data
  6. Tap Select all and Kill active apps then tap Run the batch operation.
  7. It will now backup all your data, apps, saved data, game progress, everything.
  8. Once complete, tap the Menu button, tap Batch, then tap RUN next to Verify all latest backups (faster)
  9. Tap Select all then Run the batch operation.
  10. Once complete you should have no errors. This means you have a good backup.

Now to save the backup you just made.

1. Using Samba or the USB cable, navigate to the Titanium Backup folder on your tablet
  2. Copy the ENTIRE folder to your desktop. (Mine was 200MB so it will take a minute)
  3. If you have the donate version, don't forget to save your TitaniumBackup_license that is in the root folder.
  4. Now your backup is safe and you can flash your new ROM.

Now to restore your apps and data to the newly flashed ROM.

1. Titanium Backup is normally built into the new ROMs but if not install it via the market or apk.
  2. Copy your TitaniumBackup_license to the root folder if you have the donate version.
  3. Launch Titanium Backup.
  4. Tap the Menu button.
  5. Select Batch at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Tap RUN next to Restore missing apps + all system data
  7. Tap Select all and App + Data then tap Run the batch operation.
  8. With the donate version the process will just run, with the free version, you have to tap Install and Done on every single app you have installed. (This is where the donate version gets its worth from)
  9. Once complete, reboot your device just to make sure all the changes take effect.
  10. Do your happy dance now that you have your Angry Birds progress on your new ROM.
Hope this helps everyone out there. Let me know if I missed anything.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Fuganater,
Great instruction, as always.
Question: Everything worked fine as instructed. Then, after setting up adb, Titanium Backup gave a warning that USB Debugging should be turned on. I ignored the message and went ahead to back-up, and to verify (with 0 error found). Should I turn on the USB Debugging as suggested ?
Thanks

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Fuganater,
Great instruction, as always.
Question: Everything worked fine as instructed. Then, after setting up adb, Titanium Backup gave a warning that USB Debugging should be turned on. I ignored the message and went ahead to back-up, and to verify (with 0 error found). Should I turn on the USB Debugging as suggested ?
Thanks

Always leave USB Debugging on. It does you no harm to leave it on.

suvroadrage

Mar 30, 2011
Newbie question: Where do I find my TitaniumBackup_license? Did a search via Root Explorer and it did not turn up anything. Thanks.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
"If you have the donate version, don't forget to save your TitaniumBackup_license that is in the root folder."

It should be in the root folder of your device if you installed it correctly.

18HourBroad

Apr 13, 2011
Just a quick thing. I'm very green with this. I bought the donated version, backed up everything, flashed a ROM, and the Titanium Backup Icon wasn't there.

It doesn't say it up there, but if you need to reinstall Titanium Backup, you will need to install the Free one first, and then install your licensed Titanium. (2 Market app downloads) I kept installing the donated one, and the application icon kept not showing. It says so in the market but not the first thing it says.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Just a quick thing. I'm very green with this. I bought the donated version, backed up everything, flashed a ROM, and the Titanium Backup Icon wasn't there.

It doesn't say it up there, but if you need to reinstall Titanium Backup, you will need to install the Free one first, and then install your licensed Titanium. (2 Market app downloads) I kept installing the donated one, and the application icon kept not showing. It says so in the market but not the first thing it says.

Fuganater said:
  1. Titanium Backup is normally built into the new ROMs but if not install it via the market or apk.
  2. Copy your TitaniumBackup_license to the root folder if you have the donate version.

Install the free version and put the TitaniumBackup_license in the root folder like the text file says that came with the program.

Loachboy

Jan 22, 2012
6. Tap Select all and Kill active apps then tap Run the batch operation.

10. Once complete you should have no errors. This means you have a good backup.

Hell all firstly let me start by saying i am very new to all this, I have rooted my SGS2, and now would like to flash some new ROMS, hopefully that can save a bit of battery drain. (Any suggestions would be appreciated, I heard Villain is good for this reason)

I have been trying to go through the very well detailed instructions aboveb ut would like to comment and ask on a acouple of things.

I don't get a " Kill active apps" but a "Pause active apps" on my Tit, Backup (Free - Downloaded yesterday from Market)

Also I am getting about 98 errors at the end of the veirfication process (bit of an app junky), so how do I sort out these errors ???

Thanks to all whom reply with informative replies / answers.

Regards

Loach

Last edited:

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Uhhmmm....how come no one picked up on this???

***If you install a new ROM, NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM DATA APPS FROM TITANIUM***

The backup instructions were fine, but if you put on a new ROM, you can restore User App and Data (so you won't lose scores in games, for example....) but NEVER restore system apps or data!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

linnx88

Feb 16, 2013
Uhhmmm....how come no one picked up on this???

***If you install a new ROM, NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM DATA APPS FROM TITANIUM***

The backup instructions were fine, but if you put on a new ROM, you can restore User App and Data (so you won't lose scores in games, for example....) but NEVER restore system apps or data!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Excellent excellent point sherri!! I can't believe nobody noticed this. You do not EVER want to restore system apps from different ROMs, like if you're switching from ICS to JB or vice versa.

Just select Run Restore Missing Apps + Data

Last edited:

xCR_7

Mar 6, 2013
hello guys, i really need your help.. i came from a stock sg3 (rooted) and tried to install omega rom (4.1.2). i chose the right version and didnt do anything wrong i think, so i got to the installation screen, selected defaul installation an full wipe.. then it started installing and said: wiping preload..wiping dalvik cache....wiping cache...Formating system. and here it got stuck and the installation bar is at 0,00% aswell.. im waiting for almost an hour now and really dont know what to do..
please help!