HTC Shows Off an In-Depth 6-Minute Video of HTC Flyer Android Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011

HTC is showing off their new Android Tablet the HTC Flyer in an in-depth 6-minute video. It show-cases the aluminum unibody construction and scribe pen amongst other things. This little 7-inch tablet sports a speedy 1.5GHz CPU, and looks a bit more impressive than I originally gave it credit for. What do you guys think of the device after watching the video?

Source: AndroidPolice

Last edited by a moderator:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Love the video, one of the better ones I've seen on the Flyer. This device looks to be the most complete functional tablet ever created so far.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
HTC marketing = own

I do not see how the implementation is going to be much better than raster overlays though.

They really have to work on that note program to make it any good, and it looks like that is exactly what they are trying to do. It looks like a lot of extra stuff Android does not have.

Who needs Honeycomb :D

HTC is not going to contribute this to AOSP. Fragmentation shall continue...

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
impressive. i am willing to give up my ipad2 for this one.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
Looks really cool. But I am not convinced that a 7" tablet is all that. I like the 10" size, but I am a big guy and have no problem holding my G-Tablet with one hand.

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I think price will determine the success of the Flyer. I'd like to see a sub $400 price, but that might be wishful thinking :)

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Looks really cool. But I am not convinced that a 7" tablet is all that. I like the 10" size, but I am a big guy and have no problem holding my G-Tablet with one hand.

It depends on which angle you are looking at. From Computer to Mobile angle, Powering saving using ARM processers already beat out Intel's processors left and right. Hence Nvidia Tegra 2 processors are gaining some ground. However Tegra2 still is half way to reach Mobile angle. Viewsonic / Nvidia 's tablet still hold more PC / Notebook resemblence than a smartphone mobile device. Nividia can gain ground from Intel but not the likes of Qualcomm, TI, Freescale, Intel/Inferon and Apple own processor shop.

So from Mobile to Computer angle, from smartphones to 7 inches tablet with art & creative, enterprise and average consumers in mind, HTC's Flyer is right up there with Apple's IPAD2 with less known brand name and marketing efforts.

Price is high and product built quality is super, we will see how good they are in the future. I predict they will do well for those carriers which are jealous and hate Apple products........

Stay tune.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
It looks okay, considering the whole thing looks animated.

I'd like to see all of that with an actual working unit, "unbound by marketing". Ahem.

MikeTodd

Mar 26, 2011
Add bluetooth, have a beautiful girl running on a treadmill listening on bluetooth headset while watching a youtube video while you listen in....Oh. start the video off with children playing on the tablet and it's a winner. Love love the engineering drawing notes widget possibility. throw in voice commands for launching apps.

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011

HTC is showing off their new Android Tablet the HTC Flyer in an in-depth 6-minute video. It show-cases the aluminum unibody construction and scribe pen amongst other things. This little 7-inch tablet sports a speedy 1.5GHz CPU, and looks a bit more impressive than I originally gave it credit for. What do you guys think of the device after watching the video?

Source: AndroidPolice

Look at HTC Flyer's specs with a Qualcomm CPU + GPU and an animation like performance. Here is a performance chart comparing varoius devices currently on the market with various chips....

Qualcomm's 1.5GHz dual-core MSM8660 destroys the competition in majestic benchmark run -- Engadget

Take the 1GHz Scorpion core residing in Qualcomm's current flagship Snapdragon, the MSM8x55, duplicate it, overclock the resulting pair by 50 percent, and give them improved graphics in the form of Adreno 220. What do you get? A barnburner by the unsexy name of MSM8x60. Yes, the 1.5GHz Mobile Development Platform Qualcomm loosed on the world at CES earlier this year has found itself prostrate on a test bench, where it has produced some of the finest graphical performance scores yet seen on a mobile device. The taxing OpenGL ES 2.0 test you see above shows the new Snapdragon doubling the frame rates churned out by Motorola's mighty Atrix 4G (which admittedly has to work harder thanks to its higher-res display) and completely embarrassing older generation hardware like the EVO 4G. That's a theme carried on throughout AnandTech's benchmarking, which you may explore in full at the source link. If you're wondering when this world-beating dual-core chip will be coming to market, the answer is that it's already inside HTC's imminently upcoming EVO 3D and Pyramid devices, albeit running at a tamer 1.2GHz. Exciting, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
Great the video you ripped off is no longer available and the Engadget article ripped off Anandtech.

We are not good people.
2653_JackSparrow300.jpg