Huawei Mediapad Release Dates

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
Does anyone know when this tablet is likely to appear?
I've just returned my Synrgic Dreambook back to the vendor and was looking for something similar which works rather than a Chinese device which requires continuous firmware updates to fix features which should work from day 1!!

This looks like what I was looking for but I'm a little sceptical about Huawei support. Where is their official support page ? I assume the S7 had some form of support website.

I'm also guessing that the Mediapad won't appear in the UK any time soon.

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
I've just returned my Synrgic Dreambook back to the vendor and was looking for something similar which works rather than a Chinese device which requires continuous firmware updates to fix features which should work from day 1!!

This looks like what I was looking for but I'm a little sceptical about Huawei support. Where is their official support page ? I assume the S7 had some form of support website.

Chinese device that requires firmware updates to fix things that should have worked on day 1 - yup, that's a Huawei tablet you're describing!

Except that Huawei tablet owners don't actually see firmware updates. For example, those that purchased the original S7 in the United States never officially received an update that fixed the totally broken 3G support. Huawei even had the nerve to try and restrict distribution of the Indonesian Froyo update so people outside of Indo wouldn't get it.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You do have to keep in mind that the original S7 was not sold as a 3G device in the US, at least not at BestBuy. It came as a bit of a shock to many salespeople there that it had that functionality at all. Aside from this I had no trouble with 3G data from day one with a pre-payed data plan. I think that, since in the US they didn't sell a carrier backed model, there were configuration issues but that wasn't such a big problem.
I do think Huawei made some mistakes with their early tablets, and how they do with the MediaPad will probably determine their future success in the tablet market, at least in the USA.

hewjhn

Jul 17, 2011
here are the positives of the S7, but tech support does suk

Attachments

• $Huawei Ideos S7.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 1,222

JackJack

Dec 10, 2010
Hi all,
Some informations for reference.
MediaPad may launcher first in US(TMobile), 70% probably.

The firmware will ready very soon.
This time, the MediaPad will much better than S7 and S7 Slim in my opinion.

On the update firmware policy, till now, Huawei has no clear idea, is it a bad news?
But the device is really good I think.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I'd love to replace my S7 with a newer dual core capacitive 7" tablet. However, there does not seem to be many out there.

There are some that should be released soon (likely before 10/1). However, I also here there may be some tablets with newer chips released potentially this year.

1) The mediapad may have several competitors launched before it is launched. Newer hardware may also be released soon after.
2) T-Mobile in the US may soon be AT&T, so unless the mediapad supports AT&T 3G/4G frequencies, the data connection may be much less useful sooner than expected.
3) Current S7 and Slim firmwares have some issues that were not addressed by Huawei, and don't appear that they will be. Additionally, the US S7 still has not received an official firmware update (to not conflict with the Slim?). So lack of commitment to updating the mediapad firmware is disturbing.

If I am still in the market for a 7" tablet when the mediapad launches, I wouldn't jump on it immediately. There are too many factors that potentially make the mediapad a poor choice. I'd have to wait and see what firmware related problems the mediapad has. Depending on the AT&T/T-Mobile details, it might not make sense to pay a premium for a data connection. Newer hardware may be launching shortly after it, meaning I'd rather wait for a price drop, or pay the premium for newer hardware.

As xaueious says, Huawei needs to step up their game. I'd go with an earlier release date, and a firm commitment to updating the firmware (perhaps several times, at least for bug fixes). An unlocked boot-loader and immediate release of source code / drivers would also be a big plus.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Well, while Huawei was the first to announce a 3.2 tablet, Acer beat them to market with the first 7" 3.2 tablet.

Unfortunately, I'm not impressed enough with the A100 to consider it for purchase. I'm getting anxious to replace my S7. I'm still leery about Mediapad, but it looks very interesting.

Hopefully, it'll get released sooner rather than later.

JackJack

Dec 10, 2010
Yes, Acer did.
Huawei's MediaPad will launch first in outside of US, UK.
You may see MediaPad in HongKong in 30days.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Have to find the article, think it was engadget, but it expected an October release in the USA. They sounded quite excited about it, as am I, an given the specs and build of the device, including a more reasonable battery life than the Acer, I think Huawei may have a winner here.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

Apr 26, 2011
I have bought an S7 and S7 slim, and while I am generally happy with both devices (mostly because of this forum's help), Huawei won't get another cent from me until they show a marked commitment to customer support. As far as BB sales reps go, asking them technical or product related questions is like talking to a houseplant in most cases.