Huawei S7 Slips into BestBuy for $299 Now - Best Bang-for-Buck Data Capable Tablet

lchen5

Oct 29, 2010
Guys,

I was so curious and went to best buy and checked it out for 30 mins. My local best buy had galaxy Tab, Archos 7 HT (gen 7) and S7 next to each other. I have tried three. In my option, I would not recommend this one.

here is my brief review
1) the custom UI was very slow.. and the navigation at the bottom was not too intutive.
2) Touch screen was not responsive. I found that Archos 7HT screen was more responsive.
3) Android market worked very well and I was able to download several games.
4) 3D games - the accelerameter didn't work at all in any of the 3D games such as Car Racing, etc
5) Web Browsing is good - loaded several web sites (CNN, yahoo, etc) very quickly.
6) Open Aikib ebook reader - the device didn't rotate correctly..
7) the shape of this device was too long, not sure why did they put buttons on both side..

Overall, I would not buy this one.. the Galaxy tab was very nice.. very responsive and the UI looked much cleaner but 2x the price.. I may just buy the Nook color and hopefully someone will create a custom ROM for it to make it a full android tablet..

I have pretty much feel the same about this.
The touch screen on S7 is not that responsive at all, plus S7 is much heavy than
Samsung one. Samsung one is nice but its price is just too high. As expensive as
iPad. The only thing that I don't like iPad is missing USB host, but it has much smooth
UI and better screen.

Huawei first needs to replace S7 touch screen before doing anything if they are
serious about the tablet market. By looking at 7" one. I just feel it's not practical
to use it as phone. Now I am thinking about to get 5" all in one devices(phone, GPS, and tablet) that I can carry it always.

Mozzer

Oct 30, 2010
^excellent news, just ordered from BestBuy.com as soon as I read your confirmation; thank you again!!
Keep us updated. This was another one that I was interested in, but they were sold out at the store and I hate waiting for their super slow media mail site to store get it to me. I know that I am so impatient but I don't want to wait up to 2.5 weeks just to return it for a refund if I don't like it or it is a total dud.

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
I spent some time on this at Best Buy today, but it was sitting next to the Samsung Galaxy Tab, so my experience was pretty much biased by the capacitive glass screen, super-fast-response Galaxy. The Huawei's "squishy", slow screen was not in the same class, but hey, neither is the price.

charles

Aug 18, 2010
I purchased one today from BB. I immediately put in a sim card from tmobile and had a fully functioning phone. It comes with the Android Market installed. My initial impression is that it handles mot tasks as well as the G1 and a similar screen.
For $300 you get:

1. A fully functioning unlocked phone with apps and data access.
2. The ability to install any apps you want.
3. Full GPS and it works with all maps available on the market.
4. No Contract with a carrier needed. Just pull the sim card out of your tmobile or att phone and install in this one.
5. Half the price of the Galaxy Tab, the only other choice available

What you don't get:
1. Flash
2 Capacitive screen

What other smart phones are available "unlocked and without contract" in this price range?
All in all this is a remarkable product for the money.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I purchased one today from BB. I immediately put in a sim card from tmobile and had a fully functioning phone. It comes with the Android Market installed. My initial impression is that it handles mot tasks as well as the G1 and a similar screen.
For $300 you get:

1. A fully functioning unlocked phone with apps and data access.
2. The ability to install any apps you want.
3. Full GPS and it works with all maps available on the market.
4. No Contract with a carrier needed. Just pull the sim card out of your tmobile or att phone and install in this one.
5. Half the price of the Galaxy Tab, the only other choice available

What you don't get:
1. Flash
2 Capacitive screen

What other smart phones are available "unlocked and without contract" in this price range?
All in all this is a remarkable product for the money.

It's an amazing deal.

Adobe Flash is coming with a later OS update. Or if enough people care, building the ROM from scratch isn't impossible.