Ice Cream Sandwich Device List

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Click here to subscribe to this thread to receive the latest updates.

Ice Cream Sandwich, the latest version of Android taking the 4.0 marker has been announced recently, and many want to know what devices will be supported. So, instead of everyone scrambling around to find the answers for their device, a one-stop shop (or rather, thread) would be a lot easier so I thought I'd make one! Below is a list of devices, and their status as regards the Ice Cream Sandwich.

References are located at the bottom.

Note: This list is a work-in-progress - any help is appreciated!
25/10/2011 >> Initial ICS confirmed list: ASUS Eee Pad lineup, Padfone, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, HTC Tablets, Samsung Nexus S and Galaxy S (I and II) phones, Droid RAZR, Motorola RAZR, HTC Phones
29/10/2011 >> Added Samsung tablets and Galaxy Note to ICS Confirmed list
12/11/2011 >> Added Sony Ericsson Xperia phones and HTC phones to ICS Confirmed list, revising HTC's original blanket statement.
22/11/2011 >> Added Flash Player to Ice Cream Sandwich confirmed list.
24/12/2011 >> Added Sony tablet S and Tablet P to ICS Confirmed list.

Adobe Flash Player (Confirmed)
Reference: PC Magazine - Adobe Developing Flash Player for Android 4.0 (But That's It)

Tablets:
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (Confirmed)
>> Eee Pad Slider (Confirmed)
>> Eee Pad Transformer Prime (Unreleased, Confirmed)
>> Padfone (Unreleased, Confirmed)
Motorola Xoom (Confirmed)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Confirmed)
>> Galaxy Tab 8.9 (Confirmed)
>> Galaxy Tab 7.7 (Confirmed)
>> Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (Confirmed)
Sony Tablet S (Confirmed)
>> Tablet P (Confirmed)

General HTC Tablets (Attempting)

References:
ASUS Eee Pad Line- Asus confirms Android 4.0 update for Eee Pad tablet range » Eurodroid
>> Padfone- Asus - Transformer Prime, Padfone, and Ice Cream Sandwich all on the way
Motorola Xoom- Motorola Support Forums - Software Upgrades
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1- Samsung Confirms Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for Galaxy Tab 10.1 – Galaxy Tab Life
>> Galaxy Tab 8.9- Samsung Italy apparently confirms what we already guessed - new Tabs, Galaxy S II, and Galaxy Note to get Ice Cream Sandwich
>> Galaxy Tab 7.7- Samsung Italy apparently confirms what we already guessed - new Tabs, Galaxy S II, and Galaxy Note to get Ice Cream Sandwich
>> Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus- Samsung Italy apparently confirms what we already guessed - new Tabs, Galaxy S II, and Galaxy Note to get Ice Cream Sandwich
General HTC Tablets- HTC tells Facebook friends to expect ICS updates in the future
Sony Tablet S- http://www.slashgear.com/sony-tablet-s-tablet-p-getting-android-4-0-update-23204433/
>> Tablet P-
http://www.slashgear.com/sony-tablet-s-tablet-p-getting-android-4-0-update-23204433/

Phones:
Samsung
Nexus S (Confirmed)
>> Galaxy Note (Confirmed)
>> Galaxy S II (Confirmed)
>> Galaxy S (Confirmed)
Droid RAZR (Confirmed)
Motorola RAZR (Confirmed)
HTC Vivid (Confirmed)
>> Sensation (Confirmed)
>> Sensation XL (Confirmed)
>> Sensation XE (Confirmed)
>> Rezound (Confirmed)
>> Evo 3D (Confirmed)
>> Evo Design 4G (Confirmed)
>> Amaze 4G (Confirmed)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray (Confirmed)
>> Xperia Play(Confirmed)
>> Xperia Arc (Confirmed)
>> Xperia Arc S (Confirmed)
>> Xperia Neo V (Confirmed)

References:
Droid RAZR- Motorola Support Forums - Software Upgrades
Motorola RAZR- Motorola Support Forums - Software Upgrades
Samsung Nexus S- Google Confirms Nexus S will get Ice Cream Sandwich - for Real
>> Galaxy S- Samsung Confirms Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Galaxy Tab Life
>> Galaxy S II- Samsung Confirms Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Galaxy Tab Life
>> Galaxy Note- Samsung Italy apparently confirms what we already guessed - new Tabs, Galaxy S II, and Galaxy Note to get Ice Cream Sandwich
HTC Vivid-
HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Range Revealed
>> Sensation- HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Range Revealed
>> Sensation XL- HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Range Revealed
>> Sensation XE- HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Range Revealed
>> Rezound- HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Range Revealed
>> Evo 3D- HTC's Ice Cream Sandwich Update Range Revealed
>> Evo Design 4G- (Confirmed)
>> Amaze 4G- (Confirmed)
Sony Ericcson Xperia Ray- Ice Cream Sandwich to run on 2011 Xperia Devices

>> Xperia Play- Ice Cream Sandwich to run on 2011 Xperia Devices
>> Xperia Arc-
Ice Cream Sandwich to run on 2011 Xperia Devices
>> Xperia Arc S-
>> Xperia Neo V-

Last edited:

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Thanks for the info walkop!!!!! Looks like I will be upgrading to the Asus Transformer Prime. If it is as awesome as the first transformer release, it should be a great quad core tablet. My dollars are ready for the release by Asus.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for the info walkop!!!!! Looks like I will be upgrading to the Asus Transformer Prime. If it is as awesome as the first transformer release, it should be a great quad core tablet. My dollars are ready for the release by Asus.

You're welcome ;) glad I could help! I thought a lot of people were looking for something like this, so I thought to spend a bit of time to put it together.

I got the Transformer now (as you can see from my annotation down below) and I'm really liking the Prime. Looks like I'll be upgrading as well. It looks to be an extremely well polished device - super build (brushed aluminum), and the awesome Quad-Core. That's great - and everything I've seen so far seems to indicate that it'll be the first tablet packing ICS, too! Not sure if it'll come preloaded, though - if it doesn't, then it'll still probably be first in line.

Now, we just have to wait...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Just updating the list now with a few new items. Some other devices have been confirmed. I also updated the post formatting which will (hopefully!) make it easier to read. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Everything I've read indicates the Asus Prime will come with ICS installed.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
No Acer or Sony?
I haven't heard anything at all regarding the Sony. It seems they are keeping their mouths shut about it.

As for the Android-based Iconia lineup by Acer, now that I check there have been some reports suggesting that ICS will come to said tablets. However, they seem a bit sketchy (small, foriegn website, no real proof) but the claims do make logical sense. I won't list it as confirmed, but I personally would bet on it. I doubt Acer would alienate customers by refusing to provide ICS to current Iconia owners.

Here's the link to the information, by the way.

Everything I've read indicates the Asus Prime will come with ICS installed.
Yeah, it seems that way to me too. However we have no confirmation from ASUS or Google yet. If it was released with ICS, though (especially since the Prime's release is likely quite close), then the two must be collaborating fairly closely to fit it to the Prime (which would be quite nice).

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks Walkop! They could market those Android ice cream sandwiches and make some bucks. :)

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
I don't have a tablet yet and I want to make sure I understand something: does this mean that owners of these existing models such as the Asus Transformer and the Samsung Galaxy Tab will have their OS updated automatically to ICS by the manufacturer the next time they turn their tablet on? Once the manufacturer turns the ICS update on on their web site, the tablet will automatically query the manufacturers' web site and download the ICS update? Thanks.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks Walkop! They could market those Android ice cream sandwiches and make some bucks. :)
Ha ha; no problem, glad I could be of assistance.

I don't have a tablet yet and I want to make sure I understand something: does this mean that owners of these existing models such as the Asus Transformer and the Samsung Galaxy Tab will have their OS updated automatically to ICS by the manufacturer the next time they turn their tablet on? Once the manufacturer turns the ICS update on on their web site, the tablet will automatically query the manufacturers' web site and download the ICS update? Thanks.
Basically; yes, this is what will occur. The tablets mentioned above (ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab) will get Ice Cream Sandwich. Once the manufacturer releases the OS, it will systematically appear across all their tablets. Once the update is available for your tablet, a notification will appear in the system bar, telling you an update is available (if Ice Cream Sandwich follows the pattern of other updates, anyway). It isn't fully automatic, though; you will have to manually accept the download but the actual installation should be largely automated.

Last edited:

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks. It makes me wonder: if existing tablets that use the NVidia's dual-core Tegra2 processor can get an ICS upgrade with no problem, how do we know that ICS will be able to take much advantage of NVidia's quad-core processor that's going to be in new machines like the ASUS Transformer Prime?

Well, I guess even if there's no quad-core-specific code in ICS, it'll still be running much faster when it has the new processor to run on.

I guess I don't know how much code in Android is tailored to the processor it runs on.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks. It makes me wonder: if existing tablets that use the NVidia's dual-core Tegra2 processor can get an ICS upgrade with no problem, how do we know that ICS will be able to take much advantage of NVidia's quad-core processor that's going to be in new machines like the ASUS Transformer Prime?

Well, I guess even if there's no quad-core-specific code in ICS, it'll still be running much faster when it has the new processor to run on.

I guess I don't know how much code in Android is tailored to the processor it runs on.
Well, supposedly Nvidia designed the cores in the Tegra 3 to be transparent to the operating system; its just the way the design works. Hence, it shouldn't really matter to the OS whether you're running a dual-core or a quad-core SOC, it should automatically take advantage of the cores. Smart design.

Regardless of that, I doubt that Google wouldn't bake-in support for technologies they very likely knew were right around the corner for their devices.

Frank.Aviator

Jun 25, 2011
So I have a gTab (running Vegan Tab Ginger Edition 7.1.0), this tablet is fairly easy to flash, and there are lots of custom ROMs available including several Honeycombs, but will ICS be made available? When?

I don't see any reason why not. Hope it's soon.;)

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
So I have a gTab (running Vegan Tab Ginger Edition 7.1.0), this tablet is fairly easy to flash, and there are lots of custom ROMs available including several Honeycombs, but will ICS be made available? When?

I don't see any reason why not. Hope it's soon.;)

I'm not sure; Samsung has confirmed many devices, but not the original Galaxy Tab. It might be due to age, or something else - I'm not sure. It is relatively old, the first major Android tablet; with a successor already for sale in some areas (the 7.0 Plus), but for the sake of reputation for support they may upgrade it.

It's hard to tell. Hopefully, they will release an update; but they may deem it too much work to do so as Samsung would probably want to release TouchWiz with it as well.

However, I would definitely bet on a custom ROM being made available for the device. It WAS the first, after all.

Last edited: