Iconia A500 Browser Not Responding

Hagar55

Oct 4, 2012
I hope someone on here can help me. I've had the Acer Iconia A500 for almost a year which I was very happy with it's performance until a few months ago when the browser started freezing on me. "I kept getting browser not responding" If I hit wait it comes back and works, then seconds later it freezes again. It's been doing this continuously. I have been searching this forum and anywhere else to see if anyone has a fix for this and haven't found anything yet. I've tried Opera which worked for a few weeks, then it started not responding, I tried Dolphin yesterday and after a few hours same message not responding.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I would like to tell you how to do a hard reset on your tablet without wiping the data but I don't know how on the Acer or if it is even possible. I would suggest you to to settings - apps - all and find Browser. Tap it and tell it to clear cache and whatever else is available there then force close it and restart your tablet. If it works well for Browser, do the same for Dolphin and for Opera.

There "may" be an app that is not behaving well that's causing the problems but I can't tell you what that app may be.

One other thing that keeps coming up is browser crashing due to problems with the WiFi communications so you may want to check out the link in my sig below re: WiFi problems. Start by powering down your router for 30 seconds.

Hagar55

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks for the quick response. I tried clearing the cache with force stop and reboot. Do I need to clear the data as well? I'm not sure if I should delete that since it says all data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files,setting, accounts, databases, etc. I didn't want to delete that before I checked. I tried it and right now it seems to be working better but I haven't used it much. I'll continue to use it and see if this is the fix.

Someone else told me it could be an app. Any suggestions for trouble shooting apps?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
On the clearing of data, so long as it is in that app it would only pertain to that app. In this case it would probably be bookmarks, history etc If it's working with just the cache cleared I would try it that way.

Finding a bad app is no easy task. The best thing to do is to try uninstalling the non essential apps if the problem is really bad, with a restart of your tablet afterwards. Many of these issues get corrected with updates on the apps so it's good to check for updates often. That's the first thing I do every day. In the past some of Google's own apps have been at fault for various issues but I'm not aware of any of those recently.

Hagar55

Oct 4, 2012
After using it for almost a full day, I'm still finding it not responding. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues as I am? Anyone have any other suggestions to try to fix this issue?

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I am not experiencing the problem. I'm using Dolphin and Firefox browsers, as well as the stock browser for different reasons, and all of them are working fine. I do clean out the caches pretty often.

Don't know if this will help, but it might give you a clue as to what is causing a problem when it happens. If you don't have aLogcat installed, you can get the free version from the Play Store, it's a very small app, and when you have the problem, start aLogcat and look at the log. Hopefully there might be a clue. (thanks goes to member Mrhelper for suggesting this app to me).

lbuckland

Jun 7, 2013
I have the same problem with a new Zeki 10" tablet that I bought a xmas but have never been able to use it as everytime I try to play a game it stops and shows browser not respoding and gives the option to wait or ok. When I select wait it will come back up for a few seconds only to do the same thing over and over. I am not that familiar with these tablets so don't have a clue as how to fix the problem but that has been alot of money I spent not to be able to use it. I bought it mainly for my 4 yr old grandson who stays in the hospital alot due to a rare blood disease to play games on but that has not happened. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa at [email protected]

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Lisa

You may want to try another browser for starters. Possibly Lightning or Next Browser. It may be a cache issue but trying another browserr may help or even solve the problem.

lbuckland

Jun 7, 2013
I have the same problem with a new Zeki 10" tablet that I bought a xmas but have never been able to use it as everytime I try to play a game it stops and shows browser not respoding and gives the option to wait or ok. When I select wait it will come back up for a few seconds only to do the same thing over and over. I am not that familiar with these tablets so don't have a clue as how to fix the problem but that has been alot of money I spent not to be able to use it. I bought it mainly for my 4 yr old grandson who stays in the hospital alot due to a rare blood disease to play games on but that has not happened. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa at [email protected]

Zeki tablet problem=After having to return my tablet for a replacement I found that one of the problems I was having was caused from downloading the 1mobile market. After I downloaded it my browser kept showing loading, loading, and loading in the top tabs and I was unable to really do anything so I uninstalled the 1 mobile market. I do not know what the problem is with this but it sure caused me a problem. Now I am having browser not responding error msg to ofter after I have started downloading apps but think it is a google problem for me. Any ideas let me know.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I don't know about ZEKI tablets but I have found that if the WIFI is slow - as in using the Macdonalds free WIFI - the browsers complain about errors, tend to lock up, and etc. This may be the problem. The only way around this is to tether the tablet to your smartphone/iphone - if the tablet doesn't have 3G.