I'd like to try nookhoney04

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I'm rooted, updated to 1.1, and running the 1.1 GHz kernel. I've only got one SD at the moment (8 gig). Will it hurt anything if I:

1) copy my card to my desktop.
2) format it
3) put the HC image on the SD card
4) boot up, look around in HC till I've had enough
5) format the sd card
6) copy my card data back to the card and resume using my rooted nc?

I've already got multiple backups of my NC...

Thanks! I think this should work out ok, just want to make sure...

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes that should be fine. It is ok to copy the contents of your sdcard to your computer and put them back on later. As long as you are using HC sdcard preview and not installing a HC Rom or anything.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You should be fine with those steps. I recommend formatting it in the Nook for steps 2 and 5 (make sure you boot without the card and then put it in and unmount it for formating in step 5 or you will boot to HC) :)

-JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That just ensures that it is the card is formatted with the correct sturcture. There are lots of ways to format a card and if you aren't sure what you are doing from the pc formatting utility you could format incorrectly. Formmatting in th nook is easy and you won't have to worry that way.

WARNING do not format the SD card in the Nook if you are running versions of 2.2 and reading this.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
It's up and running. It looks great! Can't wait until the smart people get it working!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
When you are planning to image an SD card with a bootable OS, or any other .img file, there is no need to format it before, since the image burning process will overwrite everything anyway.

Once you are done with a bootable card and want to make it normal.readable.etc again, formatting via the pc is fine if your plan is to copy back your original contents as this OP mentioned, there is no fancy structure needed that isn't already there. Formatting via the NC only adds a few folders, etc that the NC wants to use and which most folks who have rooted don't use. But to each his own really.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Question: i played with hc for a bit and then pulled the sd and booted back to my rooted b&n 1.1. Now im wondering... what was on my sd card before? All my apps work and all of my user names and what not are still saved. So what's on the sd card?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
When you are planning to image an SD card with a bootable OS, or any other .img file, there is no need to format it before, since the image burning process will overwrite everything anyway.

Once you are done with a bootable card and want to make it normal.readable.etc again, formatting via the pc is fine if your plan is to copy back your original contents as this OP mentioned, there is no fancy structure needed that isn't already there. Formatting via the NC only adds a few folders, etc that the NC wants to use and which most folks who have rooted don't use. But to each his own really.

Good poionts, just trying to keep it easy in case people don't understand. I don't assume most people know as much as the faceman and don't want them running off downloading a partition/format program they don't understand, making changes to their cards loading up Roms and then not being able to figure out why they can't boot. :) The simple format method of the nook just ensures they have an easy way to get a clean SD card for whatever they are about to do.

Question: i played with hc for a bit and then pulled the sd and booted back to my rooted b&n 1.1. Now im wondering... what was on my sd card before? All my apps work and all of my user names and what not are still saved. So what's on the sd card?

Mostly app data and any back ups you might run. For the most part when people root and install apps they are doing so internally.