Ideas to get int. storage mounted as /data instead of /nand

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Well, I just ran out of space in /data on my mid7015... I was looking at the init.rc script for my droid x and started wondering if we could get the internal storage mounted as /data instead of /nand... Any ideas?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
(yay, I'm replying to myself)

I found some stuff about unpacking boot and recovery images on the interwebs thingy. When you repack the images, you can tell the kernel what size the mtd's are.

I'll play around a bit when I get to tn (home) and share any success (or failure).

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
I'm completely dumb with android still.... but.. Edit the vold.conf file maybe? point nand mounting toward the /data folder?

Or is that a completely stupid idea?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
It's actually mucking about with the kernel command line in the boot and recovery images.. I'm going to have to study 3 or 4 separate posts/guides to adopt their methods to the tablets. Again, I'll post my results when I can play around with it. I got the tablet as a toy to muck about with so I don't break my phone. This should be fun and possibly helpful.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
i've got the boot image apart now. interesting note about the default.prop in the boot.img from the update. ro.secure is set to 0 by default. so i have to wonder if z4root was even necessary to root the thing.

next step is to figure out the first offset of the mtd's and their sizes so i can adjust them and repack a modified boot.img .

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
okay. i have 512M to play with. defaults are as follows:
Code:
 10M boot
  5M kpanic
180M system
  4M splash
 40M cache
261M userdata
 10M recovery
  1M misc
  1M tcc
----------------------------
512M total

on my system (rooted with gapps installed), the usage percentages are as follows:
Code:
device                  Total     Used       Free   %   mount
/dev/block/mtdblock2    180.0M    115.0M     65.0M  64% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock5    261.0M    199.7M     61.3M  77% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4     40.0M     30.1M      9.9M  75% /cache

now the question is how to rearrange them.

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I came across these and thought you might be interested if you're not already past where they are.
Android boot process - BootLoader
Enea Android Blog: The Android boot process from power on
In one diagram they label one part "Boot Media (NAND)"
From my first impressions of my Kyros I though /nand/ was the user data partition. When you connect via USB to a PC and don't have a SD card the default puts you in /nand/ where there is like 2.7 GB of free space. Not bad for a 4GB device.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
i'm testing firerat's custom mtd scripts right now. will report back when the nandroid restore and boot.img patching is done.

after that, i'm going to poss. implement the S7 data2sd solution that they've been discussing in the huawei section of the forum. if i can, i'm going to move data to a bind on /nand. and instead of scripts that are doing things almost post-boot, i'm going to try to put it in init.rc in a custom boot.img. :)

EDIT: well, that failed. it booted into the bootloader every time. looks like i'll have to attempt to do it myself like i was originally going to do.

Last edited: