[INTRO] So you bought a NOOKcolor, now what? (aka - A Complete Idiots Guide)

angmhaha

May 25, 2011
I have reformatted both disks...it still says not enough space. Yes I went into the disks, there is nothing there. Been on this all day...what am I doing wrong? :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Did you reformat the cards in the nook or the pc? The nook does a full format. If you use the simple format on the pc it will only format the small portion of the card it sees after burning the image (usually just a few hundred MB).

After reformatting but before buring the card what size does your pc detect?

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Hello Angie. If your having trouble resizing your SD card using your PC or if Windows is showing your card as being smaller than it is then I suggest you start from scratch and do a low level format of your SD card. Google sdformatter or follow this link to the SD Association. When you run the Sdformatter program choose options and then select format type "full" and Format size adjustment "ON". Your card will be properly formatted back to its original factory state and size.

I will try and attach the zip file here in my post as well.

View attachment $SDFormatterv3.0.zip

angmhaha

May 25, 2011
I used the Nook to format both mSD cards I'm using & that process was super simple compared to the rest of this whole rooting process. After formatting, both cards show to have 3.82GB of space available. The 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file is only 900MB

Thanks for your patience guys...I'm determined to figure this out ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I used the Nook to format both mSD cards I'm using & that process was super simple compared to the rest of this whole rooting process. After formatting, both cards show to have 3.82GB of space available. The 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file is only 900MB

Thanks for your patience guys...I'm determined to figure this out ;)

Ok, now that we know you have a clean full size card, when you use Win32DiskImage to write the image to the disk with a clean disk it should work. After it is done writing the SD card will appear to be very small even though the .img file is only 900MB. This is part of the image burning process. What it does is actually repartition and special format your disk and this is to be expected. You will not have more than a few hundred MB of space left on your disk regardless of what size you started with.

Place this disk in the powered off Nook, power on and it will boot into CWR.

JP

angmhaha

May 25, 2011
But that's what I'm trying to say...I've tried both cards after formatting them, I know the space is available on the cards, and when I try to write the 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file a window pops up saying there's not enough space :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try one of the other files from here Nook Color: Updated Clockwork Recovery Bootable SD | Maurice Mongeon. You can pick any of them that are smaller than the size of your SD card but not larger (so 128MB to 4 GB).

Download the zipped image file and unzip it.
Once unzipped use Win32diskImager to burn the .img file as instructed previously.
Once you are finished you need to copy any ROM zip files you want to use to the card (not necessary if you are just creating this card to make a backup before rooting).
After you have the burned SD card and any additional zip files on it, eject the card from the PC and insert into the powered down nook.
Turn on and you should boot into CWR.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
But that's what I'm trying to say...I've tried both cards after formatting them, I know the space is available on the cards, and when I try to write the 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file a window pops up saying there's not enough space :(

First we just needed to make sure you were starting with a clean and full size card. Since we know that isn't the issue we can try other things. Maybe you got a bad download of the clockworkmod image file. The link I provided in the email above is to a newer versionof CWR and also gives you different sizes to choose from.

The size you choose will dictate the size of the card left over after burning the image. So choosing 128MB means your card will show very little usable space after burning the image and choosing the 4GB image will leave you with the maximum available space left over.

JP

englishelf

May 27, 2011
First, thank you so much for such a thorough article. While I have yet to attempt this on my NC, I look forward to accessing the android market place.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to "soft root" my nook.

Instead of changing the OS on the nook itself, can I have a bootable mSD that would have the full nook OS already rooted? That way, if I decide I don't want the rooted OS anymore, I can just power down, pop out the mSD, and be back at my factory installed baseline?

Thanks so much!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
First, thank you so much for such a thorough article. While I have yet to attempt this on my NC, I look forward to accessing the android market place.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to "soft root" my nook.

Instead of changing the OS on the nook itself, can I have a bootable mSD that would have the full nook OS already rooted? That way, if I decide I don't want the rooted OS anymore, I can just power down, pop out the mSD, and be back at my factory installed baseline?

Thanks so much!

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

JP :D

BHC

Aug 3, 2011
I followed the info and now I have a problem: It worked for a day but now my nook color is stuck in a boot up sequence.

It went past the "U" boot screen to where it starts scrolling the "Nook Color" letters. The word "Nook" scrolled completely, but it hung up at the first "O" in "Color", and repeatedly went through the same motions, never completely booting.

I want to reinstall but I'm not sure how, can someone point me in the right direction?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I followed the info and now I have a problem: It worked for a day but now my nook color is stuck in a boot up sequence.

It went past the "U" boot screen to where it starts scrolling the "Nook Color" letters. The word "Nook" scrolled completely, but it hung up at the first "O" in "Color", and repeatedly went through the same motions, never completely booting.

I want to reinstall but I'm not sure how, can someone point me in the right direction?

First try powering the nook off by holding the power button until the screen goes black. Then try plugging it ito the PC with the USB cable. If it doesn't start booting automatically turn it on. Sometimes having it pulgged into the PC via usb is enough to bump start the boot all the way. If not we can move to other methods.

JP

Lessa

Sep 7, 2011
Hello,
I own a NC since yesterday and am very happy about it. I'm now thinking of rooting it, so I can add apps... because I'm living in Germany and can't use the B&N store and the apps..
The article about rooting says, I will have to add my credit card information to my B&N account even when I'm going to root it. Do I really have to do that? I'm using my Nook right now without the credit card information because I'm not having an american billing adress...
I'm a little confused right now. o_O