[INTRO] So you bought a NOOKcolor, now what? (aka - A Complete Idiots Guide)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
complete "idiots" guide is offensive. should be "beginners". my 2c
otherwise great job faceman, thanks for your effort and time!
IMHO - if you are here for this level of help, "idiot" is hardly offensive - he could have used "for dummies", but that's taken.
Faceman - great job! Consider adding "ASOP" to the glossary. It still makes me hiccup when I see it.
I think the thread is titled just fine. I have several "Complete Idiot's.........." books, as well as a few "Dummies" books and they start with the bare bones essentials, just like this thread. There is nothing offensive about his thread title.

It's already been covered, but to speak for myself.... hush! Have you not noticed the MILLIONS of sold copies of "Idiot's Guide.." books and the "Dummies.." books as well? Plus, if you actually read the article, I have a fair amount of toungue-in-cheek humor - plus I cut about 90% of my humor OUT of the article because I am trying to be more level in delivery.

Thanks for the back slaps though, and the cc. It is all welcome.

OK, assume someone didn't see this step before they rooted their NC.. Is there any way to download a factory stock image? I'd like to take mine back to bone stock and do it all again to clear out all the mistakes I made before I knew better..
Check the thread in my sig...everything you need to revert to stock

Uh yea, what he said. You can also just wait a little bit for my Part 3: Uh oh, Now you screwed it up... Read This Next article. :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you Facemam,I knowalittlemorenow,I have the.feeling I should change my name! I am a complete idiot when it comes to most of technical stuff so I don’t really get offended if somebody call me with my name. But if you see other people get offended,you could borrow the" cavemen " word from Rico.

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
It's already been covered, but to speak for myself.... hush! Have you not noticed the MILLIONS of sold copies of "Idiot's Guide.." books and the "Dummies.." books as well? Plus, if you actually read the article, I have a fair amount of toungue-in-cheek humor - plus I cut about 90% of my humor OUT of the article because I am trying to be more level in delivery.

Thanks for the back slaps though, and the cc. It is all welcome.

HAHA you're a funny man, must be fending off the chicks with sticks, HAH. some tongue in cheek humour back at u.

but yeh sorry for distracting from the topic, the guide itself is great. never mind the title. good job

frankbo168

Mar 1, 2011
NOW THAT WE HAVE A BACKUP, LETS PREPARE TO ROOT THE NC
The rooting process requires a mSD card, and this card will be completely erased in order to do the rooting, so a different card than the one we used to make our backups with is recommended. You could use the same card and just recreate it later when you need it, but for the cost of the backup card as explained above is just not worth the hassle. The rooting process does not need a large or fast card either, but since you only need it for the actual rooting process and are done with it, most folks create the rooting mSD, root, then format the card to use it for expanded storage in the rooted NC. So, if you are going to buy a decent card for storage you can use it to root and then use it as your storage card. There has been much discussion about what the NC can take advantage of as far as card class and such, it's common consensus at this point that a Class 6 is the fastest speed the NC can take advantage of, but many report that Class 4's are equally good. Class 2 are slower and most folks notice this difference when it's used for video and movie clips and such. The NC can read up to a 32gb card. As of the time of this writing (03/2011) an 8gb Class 6 mSD can be found online for around $20. That's a great value and is what I am currently using.

You will also need to have already registered your NC with your B&N account. In order to gain access to the Android Market (and that is the primary reason anyone roots) you will need to have a gMail account and link that account to a YouTube account. All of this can be done for free, however B&N wants to have a credit card on file in order to process book purchases. Even free books are processed through the purchase system as $0.00 items and require a CC. I used a temp MasterCard from my Paypal account to establish my account. Having all of the accounts created, linked, and ready will make the rooting process go smooth so make sure you have them all done before you start to root.

1. Create a B&N Account
  2. Register NC with B&N (complete the OOBE)
  3. Create a Google GMAIL Account (http://mail.google.com/mail/signup)
  4. Link your GMAIL Account to a YouTube Account (sign into youtube.com with GMAIL Account, opt to link accounts)

ROOTING THE NOOK COLOR

There are a few different methods for rooting the NC, and I have tried most of them. I believe that the autonooter from nookdevs.com is the easiest and most commonly used. It is their method that I will outline here:

1. root using the autonooter instructions (NookColor Rooting - nookDevs)
  2. complete first boot process (follow-up stuff @ NookColor Rooting - nookDevs)
  3. Once you have completed the autonooter procedure it recommends some things, but isn't as hands-on as I like for new folks, so here are my suggestions:
    • -Open 'Market' and download a launcher - I recommend Zeam to start off with if you aren't sure or have a favorite yet.
    • -While in the 'Market' I recommend downloading these apps that I feel are core and everyone should have (ROM Manager, Titanium Backup Free)
    • -While in the 'Market' select the 'Downloads' from the menu and open Zeam (or whatever launcher you installed)
    • -Open the AppDrawer to see your apps and select 'Softkeys' since it's not quite ready/easy to use yet.
    • -touch the settings button (a hammer/wrench icon)
      • Options in screen order:
      1. SoftKeys Service
        • -Run Service: Unchecked (this will remove the persistent 'popper' button that opens softkeys, but we don't need it the way I configure the "n" button)
        • -rest of these options are personal preference
      2. Virtual Home Button
        • -Normal Press: set to your favorite launcher
        • -Long Press: SoftKeys
        • -Return After Back: Unchecked
      3. Physical Home Button
        • -Home Button: Single Tap = Softkeys, Doubletap = (favorite launcher)
        • -Double Press Time: personal preference
        • Rest
        • -personal preference / leave alone for now
      • -This softkeys configuration will allow your NC to operate like this:
        1. Pressing the "n" key once will pull up the softkeys and give you access to these buttons: Back, Home, Menu, Search, Vol-, Vol+, Config, Close (which can also be configured from within softkeys, but these are default)
        2. Pressing the "n" key again will take you back to your favorite launchers home page
        3. -How you use softkeys (or another soft button app like buttonsavior) is completely personal preference, but this set up gives a decent starting point that you can experiment from.
  4. Format the autonooter SD card to return it to a storage card using nookdev instructions (NookColor Rooting - nookDevs)
  5. Follow Rico's instructions to create a nand backup that is stored on the storage card (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html)
  6. Archive the post-root nand backup to PC and bootable CWR card
You now have a backup of your rooted NC with basic setup but nothing more. This is a good "clean" backup just in case your first few days of using the NC get you in trouble. Having the backup on your storage card will allow you to restore it without much trouble as long as you can boot normally. I recommend that you copy this backup folder to your archive on the PC where you saved the pre-rooted backup to, and also to your CWR bootable card just in case that trouble you got in to prevents you from booting normally.

PLAY WITH YOUR ROOTED NOOK COLOR

You now have a rooted NC, a backup of the freshly rooted system on the storage card, a backup of the freshly rooted and prerooted systems on the other bootable recovery card. You can feel pretty safe to play at this point. I strongly recommend that you perform a new nand backup before doing any major changes to your NC. Some things that I consider as major:

• flashing ANYTHING via CWR - kernels, roms, key mods, etc.
  • prior to any major software updates - cwr, rom manager
  • planned trips - or anything where you might physically damage your nook, this way you can restore to a new NC when you warranty the broken device. :)

As well as full system backups (nand backups done via CWR), you should also consider a software backup tool such as Titanium Backup. The free app will allow you to do batch backups of all your installed apps and their data which is a great way to manage your apps. The paid version will allow you to batch restore them without having to "allow" each one while reinstalling. This is good for when you flash a different rom and have to start over again with apps.

Just purchased a nook 2.0 will root tonight before the night is over.

Joe McPlumber

Apr 4, 2011
19. Scroll down to "restore"
20. Press "n" to go to next sub-menu
21. Scroll to the backup image (by date) you wish to flash (install/restore)
I don't mean to be critical but seeing as this is an "Idiot's" guide i should point out that at the end of this backup process there were four .img files in my clockworkmod\backup\(date) directory. If/when i go to restore, will i be choosing one of these files or will i be choosing the dated directory that they're inside of?

Hi, Hello, Thanks,
- joe

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I don't mean to be critical but seeing as this is an "Idiot's" guide i should point out that at the end of this backup process there were four .img files in my clockworkmod\backup\(date) directory. If/when i go to restore, will i be choosing one of these files or will i be choosing the dated directory that they're inside of?

Hi, Hello, Thanks,
- joe

Welcome to the forum.
Those 4 files are the image files which make up 1 backup, hence why they are together in their own folder which is dated when you made the backup. When you go to restore from a backup, Clockworkmod recovery will uses all 4 files to restore your back to the condition when backed up.

"Hey Joe" -Love that song by Hendrix. :)

Last edited:

Joe McPlumber

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks Rico, i know it probably sounded like a dumb question but i still think the guide is ambiguous on this point and should be changed even if it might be obvious at the time of restore. Because there are varying degrees of n00b-ness and since i flashed an .img file to start this process i'd be looking for one to go back again and i'd probably try to drill down into the directory and find the .img dated from the day i rooted. If i couldn't find it because CWR doesn't show it to me then i'd probably be in here asking where is it. Knowatimean?

I mean now i'm happier because i know what to expect.

On an entirely different scale of n00b-ness, i can't find a button or link to thank your post. I find this infuriating and it makes me want to shoot my old lady.

- joe

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
On an entirely different scale of n00b-ness, i can't find a button or link to thank your post. I find this infuriating and it makes me want to shoot my old lady.

"Thanks" is supopose to be there << under the avatar. As far as wanting to shoot the old lady I say go for, what are they good for if not target practice (*hides the screen from wife's view*)?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
The reason the multiple files are not mentioned is because when you are in CWR and select to do a restore, it only shows you the folders to pick from, it won't show you the files inside so the recovery app forces you to pick a folder.

angmhaha

May 25, 2011
How to create a bootable CWR/Recovery mSD card
  1. If using a PC, download/install an image burning program such as Win32DiskImage (https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download)
  2. If using a Mac/Linux - find detailed instructions here (NookColor Rooting - nookDevs)
    1. Download a bootable CWR image file (New CWR v3.0.1.0 Bootable SD images)
      - This file needs to be unpacked (winzip, winrar, 7zip, etc) until you have an appropriately sized *.img file.
      -Make sure you know where this file is stored, you will have to point the image burning program to it.
    2. Using the image burning program, burn the *.img file to the mSD you have for backup use.
    3. Once the image is burned, look at your card from My Computer
      -The drive will appear to have the capacity of the *.img file you downloaded
      -You should have a drive labeled "boot" with 4 files (mlo, u-boot, uImage, uRamdisk)
    4. Open the drive and add a folder "clockworkmod"
    5. Open clockworkmod folder and add a folder "backup"
    6. Safely remove the mSD from you PC

I'm still stuck at this point of attempting to root my NC. I may be the biggest idiot to attempt this process, so I need things broken down even more. I have downloaded & installed Win32DiskImage (but wasn't sure whether to choose "binary" or "source") I went with binary. I downloaded a bootable CWR image file using your link. I think I did anyways ;) I chose 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.rar for the size of my mSD. I then opened this file using Winrar & went through he extraction process. I saved file "1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img" to my desktop so I could find it easily. I inserted my SD card witht he mSD into my pc & sent the "1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img" file to it. I then went to My Computer & to the SD card. I do see the *.img file, but no file with the label "boot". Also when I try to open the .img file it says Windows cannot read it. Ugghhh! I'm getting so frustrated. Just typing this question has taken me 10 freakin minutes so I could make sure I had all the wording correct so you guys would understand my dilemma, lol! And I'm still not even sure I've made myself clear. Any "elementary" help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Angie

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I then opened this file using Winrar & went through he extraction process. I saved file "1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img" to my desktop so I could find it easily. I inserted my SD card witht he mSD into my pc & sent the "1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img" file to it. I then went to My Computer & to the SD card. I do see the *.img file, but no file with the label "boot". Also when I try to open the .img file it says Windows cannot read it.

Hi Angie, hang in there and don't panic it sounds like you almost have it. When you say you "sent" the .img file to the SD card do you mean you copied it to the SD card or burned it to the SD card using Win32DiskImage? If you just copied it that is a problem.

To burn the .img file to the SD:
1. Open Win32DiskImage (depending of the version of Windows you are running you may need to right click the program and choose "Run as Administrator").
2. Once in the program you have a field to choose a file. Navigate to the 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file which in this case you said you placed on your desktop.
3. There is a second field for choosing where to write your file. Make sure this is pointed at your SD card (which it usually is by default).
4. Choose to "write" the the .img file to your SD card.

After the .img file is burned to the SD card Windows will not recognize the card (for instance if you take it out and put it back in) and tell you it needs to be formatted (but don't format it). This is what is supposed to happen and this is ok. Although Windows won't recognize the formatting you should still be able to see the card and paste files on to it. Place any zip files (for flashing) you intend to use on the card now.

Eject the card from the PC an place it in your powered down nook. Power on and you should boot to ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR). From CWR you can create backups or flash the zip files placed on your bootable SD card.

Welcome to the club :)

JP

Last edited:

angmhaha

May 25, 2011
Hi Angie, hang in there and don't panic it sounds like you almost have it. When you say you "sent" the .img file to the SD card do you mean you copied it to the SD card or burned it to the SD card using Win32DiskImage? If you just copied it that is a problem.

To burn the .img file to the SD:
1. Open Win32DiskImage (depending of the version of Windows you are running you may need to right click the program and choose "Run as Administrator").
2. Once in the program you have a field to choose a file. Navigate to the 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file which in this case you said you placed on your desktop.
3. There is a second field for choosing where to write your file. Make sure this is pointed at your SD card (which it usually is by default).
4. Choose to "write" the the .img file to your SD card.

After the .img file is burned to the SD card Windows will not recognize the card (for instance if you take it out and put it back in) and tell you it needs to be formatted (but don't format it). This is what is supposed to happen and this is ok. Although Windows won't recognize the formatting you should still be able to see the card and paste files on to it. Place any zip files (for flashing) you intend to use on the card now.

Eject the card from the PC an place it in your powered down nook. Power on and you should boot to ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR). From CWR you can create backups or flash the zip files placed on your bootable SD card.

Welcome to the club :)

JP

You're exactly correct, that's what I did. I can do all of those steps, and have...
1. Open Win32DiskImage, right click, Run as Administrator
2. Navigate to the 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file
3. I have it pointed to F: SD card, click "Write"

I get a warning that says, "Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device. Are you sure you want to continue?" I click Yes
Then I get Write Error, Not enough space on disk. I have checked, and checked again & used 2 different mSD cards, both 4GB & both empty

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You're exactly correct, that's what I did. I can do all of those steps, and have...
1. Open Win32DiskImage, right click, Run as Administrator
2. Navigate to the 1gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.img file
3. I have it pointed to F: SD card, click "Write"

I get a warning that says, "Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device. Are you sure you want to continue?" I click Yes
Then I get Write Error, Not enough space on disk. I have checked, and checked again & used 2 different mSD cards, both 4GB & both empty

Part of the process of burning the image rewrites the size of the disk. So once you have burned the .img once the disk will appear to be very small. It sounds like you coorectly burned it at least once. To start from scratch you need to reformat your disk.

I like to use the following method.

Instert disk into a Nook that is already on. The nook will detect the disk and chime. Go into Settings>Device Info>SD Card>Unmount.
Once unounted you will have the optionto format the card. Once formatted unmount the disk and remove. The put back in you pc and repeat the image burn process.