Is 800x600 enough for an 8" eReader?

flobadober

Mar 18, 2012
Hi. Looking to buy an android tablet to use primarily as an eReader (novels mostly). I can't use eInk because I read in the dark... well, not exactly but you know what I mean :) I think 8" would be a good size and there are plenty of 800x600 resolutions out there to choose from. Is it worth getting a 1024x768 model for reading novels or is there no obvious difference?

About noise - don't like it. Are these tablets generally fanless (like a mobile) or do they get noisy when they heat up? I suppose they only get noisy when playing 3D games?

thanks.

P.S. Any other experiences from other eBook reader people out there welcome.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That is on the lower end of resolution but for just reading it should be ok. Higher resolution is always better and since it is a tablet you never know what else you'll end up using it for (gaming, movies, youtube). All tablets have no moving parts and make no noise regardless of how much strain they are under (other than sound from the speakers)

NateTheGreat

Jun 29, 2011
I'd be more interested in getting a current version of Android and a powerful enough CPU.

I have a bunch of older Android tablets and while they have all sorts of screen resolutions, the real reason I don't use them now is the CPU and OS. The tablets are old and underpowered.

flobadober

Mar 18, 2012
I'd be more interested in getting a current version of Android and a powerful enough CPU.

I have a bunch of older Android tablets and while they have all sorts of screen resolutions, the real reason I don't use them now is the CPU and OS. The tablets are old and underpowered.

Hi Nate. Iwouldn't have thought that the OS version or CPU would make any difference at all for reading eBooks but I am actually now hunting around for a 1024x768 android 4 tablet after doing more research. They seem to be just about on the market. Not much choice yet.

NateTheGreat

Jun 29, 2011
The OS version matters because the min requirements (to run the apps you want) tend to creep up over time.

CPU matters more for non-reading, true, but I started out just reading on tablets and now I use one for Twitter, email, RSS feeds, and Netflix. You might follow the same path, and I wanted to make sure you had the hardware to do so.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The OS version matters because the min requirements (to run the apps you want) tend to creep up over time.

CPU matters more for non-reading, true, but I started out just reading on tablets and now I use one for Twitter, email, RSS feeds, and Netflix. You might follow the same path, and I wanted to make sure you had the hardware to do so.

Yep, this is what I was saying. You start out reading but if you get something decent before you know it, you start using it in all sorts of ways :)

flobadober

Mar 18, 2012
Yes, I see your point(s). I think you are both right, I would probably start using the tablet for many things so I'm raising my required spec. Looking at getting something like the Ramos W13HD (1024x768 android 4.0 fast cpu + 3d). About £200 uk pounds. Hard to find though. Thanks for putting me on the right path.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Hi there, any res will do for reader, I currently have 800x480 on a wm8650 and its fine on aldiko,kindle etc. Starting on a cheap basic tab & using this forum a lot I learned quite a bit about rooting and upgrading, best apps, basically using android for the first time. I'm now upgrading. To a bigger, more powerful tab but without the experience of this wonderful, if temperamental little device,I doubt I would've bothered & just got an e reader like kindle for double the price. For what this tab can do, 40gbp. Is an absolute steal. To get to the point,I agree with the guy about you ending up doing far more than just read so go forbest specs you can afford (I recommend you look at teclast p85hd as an excellent 8" tab for the money- check spemall.com or sites like mcbub,pandawill etc) I think you'll be glad you did in the end. Good luck.

Sent from my WM8650 using Android Tablet

flobadober

Mar 18, 2012
I've ended up ordering this tablet, which is twice as expensive than what I intended to buy but is certainly future proof! I went to a local PC superstore to get a feel for the sizes and thought that 8" would be a minimum, so I went for a slightly larger screen size in the end. Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

Last edited:

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Don't want you to feel ripped off but I've basically just got the same tab for 140gbp I hope you didn't pay that list price

flobadober

Mar 18, 2012
Don't want you to feel ripped off but I've basically just got the same tab for 140gbp I hope you didn't pay that list price

Hi userbe, please post a link to the tablet you bought.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Dunno about posting link but look for sanei n90 ips on mcbub.com or other sites such as pandawill, chinagrabber, spemall etc.there are loads of sites. the window n90 is also known as yuandao n90. The only difference I can find between them and sanei is camera position.

raju201239

Mar 23, 2012
I will say one thing. In case you mostly need reading novels, you should choose tablet which is perfect in display. All other factors will not affect much in reading novels.