Is there even one Android Tablet that is not plagued with problems?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
This sounds interesting. How large can the on board memory be found. She wants 64gig on board..

Ok, does not come in 64gig SSD, Went down to BestBuy to look at one. It is not much thicker than a Transformer TF101 and about the same weight.
It is nice that it has the full size SD, USB, HDMI slots, along with the other standard ports. My sister seemed content with everything so now I need to check user reviews and if theyt all check out we may have found her a tablet for work.

Also the paperwork at BB says the tablet is 1.6 pounds which may seem like a lot to some but compared to even a small laptop it is very light weight.
Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
No problems with either my Transformer or NC. My TF is unmolested and my NC has been rooted. I also started out with a import tablet I got off of e-bay. It really wasn't too bad of a tablet. It didn't help that I got rid of it before really understanding its capabilities.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Must be nice to have money.....:-( here I am plugging away with a forty Quid wm8650..ohh I used to dream of having a 9.7" chinese ipad rip off...excuse typo's this is the bottom end of the market I'm using.....:). Still, I can do most stuff, even if it does take all day..

Sent from my WM8650 using Android Tablet Forum

How much you paid x your tablet,if I may ask.....with that money couldn't you have bought a Tablet closer to your dream-Tablet, used may be or refurb.? Just curious:)

Samsung Galaxy Note

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Must be nice to have money.....:-( here I am plugging away with a forty Quid wm8650..ohh I used to dream of having a 9.7" chinese ipad rip off...excuse typo's this is the bottom end of the market I'm using.....:). Still, I can do most stuff, even if it does take all day..

Sent from my WM8650 using Android Tablet Forum

Just want to add here, she works hard for the money she makes, and is paying for this out of her own pocket, the company is not flipping the bill on this. I am the most computer literate person in my family and that ain't saying much. She needs a device that will work properly out of the box, that needs no fudging to make it ready for work. Just install the app and go.
None of us have the kind of money we would like to have, but if we want something bad enough we find a way. If we want or need a device that works properly we save no matter how long that takes to get what we need so we only have to buy once.
It is what she is doing and she is doing it right the first time, she gets huge props from me for that. She knows what she wants/needs for work and since she is paying for it out of pocket she can play with it at the end of the day to her hearts content.
It may not be the best but it won't be a do nothing device that in the end is not capable of doing what she needs forcing her to put more money out when she could have done it right the first time and spent once.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The Thrive is a good tablet as far as I can tell, with one weak point which is the screen. Have her look closely at it, maybe compare to the Transformer or Galaxy Tab, both have top notch screens, and if she is comfortable with it I think you probably have a winner. Battery life is not great, probably 6 hours, but with the user replaceable battery you can just buy a spare and that should never be an issue. In fact it is a feature I wish more tablets had.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum

markings

Feb 5, 2012
I think Android is its own worst enemy with the frequent issue of new versions. Now they talk of Android 5 "Jelly Bean" when manufacturers have not even implemented ICS yet. It is crazy and leaves everybody with the sense that they are always buying old equipment and things just cannot stabilize. There is no joy in that.
I would go for a Windows (Win7) tablet anytime if battery life would not be such an issue.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
She does not want windows because of how unsecured the windows OS is. As an OS, windows is like swiss cheese and it uses enough resources on its own, then you must run antivirus, antispy, antimalware out the schnoz. She has to use windows on her work computers and they are always breaking down, she is looking for something that is a bit more stable.

Last edited:

Scraps

Feb 20, 2012
Have you considered an Asus Slider? It is what I chose for a work/fun tablet because it has the physical keyboard for work notes, reports, etc. and the touch screen for everything else. I have had it about 3 months with zero problems. It doesn't have 64g but it does have a microSD card slot. I love mine!

Lisa

silverSGT

Feb 17, 2012
Just alittle heavy n big, rugged though. The 10 in thrive I meant, it didn't show. :)

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Have you considered an Asus Slider? It is what I chose for a work/fun tablet because it has the physical keyboard for work notes, reports, etc. and the touch screen for everything else. I have had it about 3 months with zero problems. It doesn't have 64g but it does have a microSD card slot. I love mine!

Lisa

That was the first Asus tablet I spotted for her, on the same page as the Slider was a link to the Transformer Prime, after seeing it she forgot all about the slider.

Long story short, it seems like every tablet has issues, none are problem free, and it is probably as one of the members said, most (though not all) of the problems reported are brought on by people messing with their tablets. I see so many complaints on the Vizio Vtab 1008 that if I didn't own one myself I would think it was a camel turd hiding behind a 8 inch screen.
I do believe that some people are having issues like the occasional not waking up problem and the charging plug problem and a few others, since Vizio has apparently admitted that the CP is a issue and I have had the not waking up problem my self.
I just handle the CP very carefully and make sure the tablet does not go to far below half a battery, for me letting the battery get down to the last bar is when it won't wake back up. And plugging the charger in has always brought the tablet back on.
Since no device is perfect I figured there was no sense looking for one. I think she is going to go with the Toshiba but she may pick the TF101. Since the Toshiba has the full size SD and USB ports it would be more compatible with other devices at her work.
Any which way, the ball is in her court now. We will see what she gets when she gets it.

BobjGear

Feb 8, 2012
Yes, with constant use you can expect 6 hours, but intermittent use will push that to 9 or 12 hours, more typical of a business person's day, I would think. On standby it will go 2 to 3 days. And the separate power circuit allows it's high current charger (not through the USB port as with many other tablets) to recharge it in 1.5 or 2 hours.

The screen auto adjusts for brightness, so if it is not bright enough in the store, turn off Auto in settings and adjust the brightness yourself. Most thrive owners do this. Keep in mind, although she wants 64 gb, the thrive goes up to 32, but she can put up to 128gb SDXC card into the thrive for data storage. Thrive can also connect by ethernet wire to the full sized USB, if her business has her staying somewhere with no wifi, like a hotel room (or she can bring a pocket router.)

I guess you can tell what I favor .... ;)

BobjGear

Feb 8, 2012
Any which way, the ball is in her court now. We will see what she gets when she gets it.

We all want to know ... If she goes with the Toshiba, make sure she joins thriveforums.org. It will double her enjoyment of using the tablet. Best experts, bar none, on the Thrive.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Ha. I know her. She will spend her time at the rescue working with the dogs and cats and I will get to do all the tablet leg work. Why her husband doesn't it?
He's busy working on the farm, I guess he gets a pass as he works long days at work and then comes home and puts in another six or so hours farming and all day Saturday and Sunday.

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
I have the slider and love it. I had an LG phone with android on it and love it also which made me decide on the Asus Slider. Plus the keyboard I love. Don't like using screen keyboards.