Java?

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
Hi: Just got the Acer A500 today...Already questions!
I noticed that I am not seeing Java webpages...I hope thee is a setting or something that will allow me to do so...Most of the pages I view use Java...
When I initially log on to a page it appears full screen; then it reverts to a smaller size to the left of the screen...What's up with that?
OK...Those are the first 2 of many questions! Thanks for the help...

Steve in Kansas

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
I am not seeing any of my usual webcams...Any solution to this?

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
I have been trying to figure this out...Apparently there are two types of Java...One is a script which runs many apps...That seems to work...The second type of Java must run videos and live streaming stuff...Is that included in Android or should I just give up on seeing my webcams on the Acer A500?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I can't say for sure, but it seems that Javascript is not working on the Iconia (or better, Honeycomb 3.0.1). I have a program that has this code that doesn't work:

<a href='JavaScript: parent.menu.jpdf(2,"ieee","aps","ap","2009057",57,"01jan",1,"0009quij")'><font size=+1>PDF</font></a>
I had to add the space between : and p to get this to display here.

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
I think javascript should work...Be sure it is turned on in the "Settings" menu...It's the other Java program that doesn't seem to be working...

Steve

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I think javascript should work...Be sure it is turned on in the "Settings" menu...It's the other Java program that doesn't seem to be working...

Steve

It may be....I have other lines like that that seem to work...but the one above which is supposed to bring up a PDF file inside a PDF viewer doesn't work. But all the similar statements which bring up htm files and stuff seem to work. Java is enabled in the setting menu, though.

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
Having just got my tablet yesterday, I am still bumbling around with it...Maybe you can help me...How do i totally delete an app? I want to get rid of some of the bloatware that came with the tablet...Thanks...

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Having just got my tablet yesterday, I am still bumbling around with it...Maybe you can help me...How do i totally delete an app? I want to get rid of some of the bloatware that came with the tablet...Thanks...

The normal way to delete an app is to open the "Setting" app and then select "Applications" in the list. Then select "Manage Applications". You scroll through the list of apps to the one you want to delete and click on it. You'll see an option to Uninstall after you do that. Click that option.

The problem is, some pre-installed apps won't delete. You can root to get extra control and then you can delete them. But you need to educate yourself about rooting and the potential drawbacks (many think there are few if any).

HTH.

ps...I don't find there to be a lot of bloatware there myself. The machine has 1 GB of RAM...way more than your standard phone of a year or so ago when android was new.

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, most of the items I would remove won't let me delete them...But, as you say, not a big deal...Thanks for the assistance...

Steve