Just got tablet...switched to CWM...Vegan 5.1 works - CM7 hangs at birds!! Need Help.

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
I am very new to tablets so I need all the help I can get. Yesterday I bought a brand new G tab at compUSA. I followed the instructions at XDA and installed CWM followed by Vegan 5.1. Before doing that I also downgraded to 1.1.

Then I found out I could not run Netflix on Vegan so I loaded CM7 onto my Tab and flashed it. seems like it was installed but when I power up the tab it gets stuck on the Viewsonic/birds screen. I went back into CWM then flashed back to Vegan and that still works perfect.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
just before you're about to load CM7 from clockwork..... do a factory data reset.. it's one of the options that's in clockwork.... then go ahead and do a cache wipe for good measure... then go into the advanced menu .. clear the dalvik cache.. then back to the first screen of clockwork.. go to mounts and storage.. mount the system(if not mounted already).. mount the data(if not mounted already)... go back to the main clockwork screen.... flash CM7.... should be good... if it hits the birds roadblock again .. do another factory data reset and reboot again...

Somtimes data from different roms may be left behind if you don't do the wipes between flashings... if you're going from a rom of one version to another of the same version it may not bother the new install.. but Vegan is a Froyo rom and CM7 is a Gingerbread rom... they're not in anyway compatible on a system level.

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I tried doing the flash to CM7 a couple times and I did factory data reset and wiping cache and dalvik. Still no dice. Went back to Vegan 5.1 again with no problem.

Anything else I can do? CWM seems to be working just fine and when I run Vegan all is good too.

just before you're about to load CM7 from clockwork..... do a factory data reset.. it's one of the options that's in clockwork.... then go ahead and do a cache wipe for good measure... then go into the advanced menu .. clear the dalvik cache.. then back to the first screen of clockwork.. go to mounts and storage.. mount the system(if not mounted already).. mount the data(if not mounted already)... go back to the main clockwork screen.... flash CM7.... should be good... if it hits the birds roadblock again .. do another factory data reset and reboot again...

Somtimes data from different roms may be left behind if you don't do the wipes between flashings... if you're going from a rom of one version to another of the same version it may not bother the new install.. but Vegan is a Froyo rom and CM7 is a Gingerbread rom... they're not in anyway compatible on a system level.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Try this, i have a special ROM from bekit that basically formats an empty ROM image to the device if you are on the 1.1 bootloader. This will NOT run as a ROM, all it does is clear out all the garbage that might be hiding. You can download a copy here: FORMAT.zip. Try loading this just like any other update.zip file, then install your ROM.

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
Thanks very much...I will try this.

Try this, i have a special ROM from bekit that basically formats an empty ROM image to the device if you are on the 1.1 bootloader. This will NOT run as a ROM, all it does is clear out all the garbage that might be hiding. You can download a copy here: FORMAT.zip. Try loading this just like any other update.zip file, then install your ROM.

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
Ok, I just tried that FORMAT.zip and it is still hanging on the bird screen.

Also, i noticed when I did the cache wipe that there is an error.... something about "can't mount dev/block....."

error-on-tablet.jpg

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
did you also re-partition the SD Card? warning, that wipes everything on the tablet completely.

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
I repartitioned only when I first installed the CWM and Vegan 5.1 as per the instructions at XDA....should I repartition again? How do I repartition it again? What order should I do all these steps in?

There is no important data on the tablet so i don't mind losing anything.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Well...before you start down the whole road, I guess i would say in that case, read up on how to NVFlash your tablet, and start from there. Best guarantee against any fragments being left behind to cause problems.

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
Oh no, I was afraid of that...but I figured that would be the case. What are the best (easiest) instructions recommended for NVflash? Thanks

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
Ok, I just successfully NVflashed....my G Tablet is stock again!! So now what are the best instructions to install CM7.03???

Thanks!!!!

treepog

Jun 21, 2011
Ok, I am now successfully on CM7.03 yay...thanks all!!

Ok, so now how do I get my Netflix account to work?