Stuck at 3 birds advice

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I agree with your statement that it seems very difficult to brick this device.
So is there a step by step guide for using NVFlash on the G Tab? And since you've tried all the different ROM's which one can you recommend?

Sorry for highjacking this thread. I'll start a new one after this question.

Thanks
No need for a new thread...I think we're still on topic! ;)

Guide for nvflash: [RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com

If you decide to give it a try, you can post here if you run into anything unexpected.

I wouldn't say I've tried "all" the ROMs...just TNTLite (very good), VEGAn (fast, but not my style), and Bottle of Smoke (Honeycomb!). After running BoS it's REALLY HARD to go back to a Froyo/Gingerbread style ROM. I'm on BoS 4.0 and it's behaved very well. :)

-Matt

Phoenix84

Jun 14, 2011
I agree with your statement that it seems very difficult to brick this device.
So is there a step by step guide for using NVFlash on the G Tab? And since you've tried all the different ROM's which one can you recommend?

Sorry for highjacking this thread. I'll start a new one after this question.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I'll reply anyway (better late than never).
The best ROM depends on your needs.
If you like the the stock ROM, but just want it more optimized, I'd recommend TnT-Lite (1.1 bootloader) or Mt Laurel (1.2 bootloader), but I haven't tried the latter personally.
G-Harmony is similar to TnT-Lite, but crazy fast. However I ran into stability issues with it.
IIRC, Caulkin's GTab is similar to G-Harmony, but even faster.

If you don't care for stock look:
VEGAn-Tab 5 is fast and runs great with tablet interface, but is based on an older Android (2.2, IIRC). So you don't get newer features (like built-in SIP).
VEGAn-Tab GE is similar to above, but has gingerbread. Downside is it doesn't have video acceleration (no HD/HQ video).
CM6/7 work great, if you don't mind stock Android look (for CM6 only, CM7 has tablet tweaks like VEGAn-Tab)

If you want Honeycomb, try Bottle of Smoke (BoS) (there are others now, but I haven't tried them yet). At the moment, HC also has the same acceleration issue as GB. So Hi-def/HQ videos won't play.

If you must have video acceleration:
Stick with Froyo ROMs: TnT-based, VEGAn-Tab 5.x, CM6.

Supposedly Notion Ink is coming out with a Honeycomb release on the 27th of June. When that happens there's a good chance we'll get hardware acceleration for video in Honeycomb ROMs.

I was using CM7 w/tablet tweaks for a while, until BoS came out. I figured since I was already giving up video acceleration, I'll just jump to HC (and glad I did, I use that regularly now).

Some of the others I didn't use long enough, and recently enough to remember details on them (sorry, devs).

I hope that gives you the information you're looking for!