Keyboard Dock charging issue

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
I've had my tf300t and keyboard dock for about 5 months now and it has performed fine until yesterday. I was looking up something on the net when the tablet just rebooted for no reason. It did this 3 more times. I did a factory reset and things seemed ok. Today, I power it on and noticed that it's not charging on the keyboard dock. The dock works fine but the tablet just won't charge on it. I read on another forum that there may be an issue with the SD card that I have in it so I took it out and restarted and it began to charge. I put the card back in and it still charged. I then restarted and the charging stopped. Now it won't charge the tablet at all.Any ideas? Do you think I should do another factory reset?

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
OK. I just did a factory reset and it still doesn't charge. If I have it docked, and charge the docking station, both charge.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not completely clear on the problem, especially if both are now charging. Are you aware that, (at least prior to 4.2) that the dock would not charge the tablet until the tablet was below 70%

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
Sorry for not being clear. Also, I wan't aware of the percentage issue. Mine came with 4.1 and it charged all the time except at 100%. The issue was this: I can plug in the tablet to the charger and it charges fine. I can plug in the keyboard dock by itself and that charges fine. I can dock the tablet to the keyboard dock and plug power to the keyboard and it charges both. If I unplug the power form the keyboard while the tablet is in it, it doesn't charge the tablet. So basically, the keyboard dock stopped charging the tablet. I went on the Asus website and after a short time they setup a RMA. I tried a few more things and got it working. I took the tablet itself and used a paper clip to reset it (NOT FACTORY RESET). Didn't help, I don't think. Then I unmounted the SD Cards (the one in the tablet and the one in the keyboard dock). I docked the tablet and powered it on and Boom! Charging. I then installed the SD cards one at a time and things seem fine. I restarted a few times (tablet by itself, tablet docked and still charging) I hope this helps people.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
What is the battery level of your tablet?

On the TF300 (and TF201 and TF700) the dock will ONLY charge the battery if the tablet is below 70%. And, it will only charge it up to 90% and not to 100%.

This is done to help cycle both batteries more evenly rather than beating the tablet battery up all the time.

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
OK. Now it's making sense. I checked again and it stopped charging. The tablet battery is at 90%. What's strange is that I don't remember it charging beginning at 70%. I'm going to let it discharge until below 70% to be sure. I realy hope I'm wrong. I'd really hate having to be without it for over a week as I now use it for everything.

srentz

Aug 31, 2013
Hi I am having the same problem. My tablet doesn't seem to be charging from the keyboard dock like it used to. I've only had this tablet for 2 months and I have had so many problems with it. It charges through the dock when I plug in the cord, but not when it is in the dock alone. the battery is at 40% and should be charging from the keyboard by this time. Does anybody know how I can fix this without sending it in for service? I just got it back from the service centre less than a week ago. I've already had to reset it..I don't want to have to do it again, I just got all my apps back on it.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hi I am having the same problem. My tablet doesn't seem to be charging from the keyboard dock like it used to. I've only had this tablet for 2 months and I have had so many problems with it. It charges through the dock when I plug in the cord, but not when it is in the dock alone. the battery is at 40% and should be charging from the keyboard by this time. Does anybody know how I can fix this without sending it in for service? I just got it back from the service centre less than a week ago. I've already had to reset it..I don't want to have to do it again, I just got all my apps back on it.

Welcome to the forum

I have a thread on a sister site covering hard resets. I suggest you first check for any firmware updates while docked and if none appear use the information in this link to do the hard reset while docked.
Various quick fixes links and help.