Kyros MID-7015 and 7005 Ultimate Guide Discussion Thread

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
They're for more advanced dev-type stuff.. most people use those tools for active hacking of the device(s).

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
New here... I have rooted devices before, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, with no issues, but this Coby device has me beat. I cannot get the recovery.img to flash. The img file is on my sd card. When I type the command: "flash-image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" using the Terminal Emulator I get the following message "flash_image: Not Found". The first time I ran this command I didn't get this error but when the tablet rebooted, it started in recovery mode and not in the ClockworkMod Recovery Menu. So I decided to try it again and that is when I got the flash_image error. Then I finally decided to start over. Un-rooted my device, and reset back to factory settings. Re-installed the update.zip from cobyusa.com and started all over again with no luck. What am I missing? Thanks.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
What does the about device screen say your model or build number is? There are some issues with hacking the latest update from coby. See the thread about the update for more info.

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
Build number: MID7015A 1.6a 01/26/11
Kernal version: 2.6.29 Root android 2.1
Firmware version 2.1-update

Maybe that is my issue. Anyway to flash the update to an older one?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Not without clockworkmod and some luck. If you still have the old update.zip, you can extract it and use adb to push flash_image from system/bin in the directory where you extract it to /system/bin on the device. Then chown root.shell and chmod 0755 the file.

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
ADB? I have been reading about that. I have two issues then. How old of an update.zip file do I need, and I have Windows 7 and I have read about issues getting Win7 to see the Coby device.

panzertomcat

Feb 13, 2011
Thank you all very much for all your posts. I ran into the problem where I could not flash_image recovery.img (received "flash_image: image not found error). Turns out my device was missing flash_image in it's /system/bin.

Instructions for copying the flash_image were found here : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-7.html

(
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image (whereas the flash_image is stored on your sdcard)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery
)

And the flash_image file was found here : Flash image - CyanogenMod Wiki

I got a copy of the flash_image, ported it to the SDcard then followed the instructions in the first link. Then I was able to make flash_image work correctly.

Last edited:

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
i rooted my coby mid7015 but i cant open the mass storage when i connect the usb cable
i installled android- sdk- windows R10. and it doesnt work. the instructions are for R7 i also found R8 info from here . where can i download R7?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Use the 'android' program in the tools folder to d/l more ask revisions. The instructions are at developer.android.com

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2011
ok so ive done everything possible now, ive reset reformated everything and every time it tells me Flash_image: not found but its on my sdcard ive made sure the that there is no extra .img at the end to ive redownloaded it several times but it will never even acknowledge it being there no matter what i do from pc or terminal

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
ok so ive done everything possible now, ive reset reformated everything and every time it tells me Flash_image: not found but its on my sdcard ive made sure the that there is no extra .img at the end to ive redownloaded it several times but it will never even acknowledge it being there no matter what i do from pc or terminal

After you put the flash_image on your sd card (make sure its not in any folders), try going back and doing these steps:

10. Now you will want to open your Teminal Emulator app.

11. Once it is open, type the follwing:

SU (and then hit enter)

12. Allow the Super User access when the screen pops up.

13. Run the Terminal Emulator app again. Once again type:

SU (and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol. If the keyboard did not stay on the screen, turn your tablet vertical. Horizontal may hide the keyboard.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

16. Now type in the following code.

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery