Let's Settle the Google Play Compatible Issue

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
NetworkLocation.apk is part of the Google apps. If you're not installing the entire package that would explain why you had to add that .apk. The Gen 3 units have sufficient space for the full package, and the full package is what I installed. Gen 1 and 2 units such as your 8127 may be space limited.

Please keep in mind that all discussion of adding files and changing files assumes Generation 3 tablets since this thread is in Generation 3 Development. Other tablets are not supported. My modified framework-res.apk is only supported on the 9742 and no other tablet.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
NetworkLocation.apk is part of the Google apps. If you're not installing the entire package that would explain why you had to add that .apk. The Gen 3 units have sufficient space for the full package, and the full package is what I installed. Gen 1 and 2 units such as your 8127 may be space limited.

All my ics roms include full google apps, gapps or what ever one wants to call them, gen3 has the room for ics and gapps, but not for jellybean and gapps, jb full gapps are 85MB, cm10 is around 245MB our space is 252MB.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I wasn't thinking Jellybean.

However, you do bring up a good point in that custom ROMs already have the Google apps package installed as well as having the framework modded to enable network location. Since I only modded the stock ROM my posts tend to reflect that.

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012

Please keep in mind that all discussion of adding files and changing files assumes Generation 3 tablets since this thread is in Generation 3 Development. Other tablets are not supported. My modified framework-res.apk is only supported on the 9742 and no other tablet.
Yeah, I know that. This is why I've build my own framework-res.apk. I just want to give feedback regarding what is written on second post.
I've first tried with coby gapp package and it not contains all the framework, only the Play Store. So I just want to complete the thread.

I know we are in a Gen3 forum but I think it's a good thing to be as specific as possible for those who encounter the same problem. Nowhere in the thread is written that the whole google framework is needed, so...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's not written because there isn't really any need to. Gen 3 tablets don't have a Coby-specific apps package but use the packages from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps . Those packages include all the files.

That said, it's good to know which apk does the "heavy lifting". :)

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
All my ics roms include full google apps, gapps or what ever one wants to call them, gen3 has the room for ics and gapps, but not for jellybean and gapps, jb full gapps are 85MB, cm10 is around 245MB our space is 252MB.

The cm9 Google Play is the most compatable I've had on my 7042.

I downloaded tuneinradio and iheartradio, both firsts for me.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I'll have to try the build.prop out.

since you have the dell, you have a good measure of google play listings. If you have any other non coby listed apps, (like the tuneinradio app) you might post them here for testing.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Tune In Radio is the ONLY app I use that I can't access in the Play store. I have to look more at my build.prop. Something isn't right if I'm setting off compatability warnings for that one app.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Tune In Radio is the ONLY app I use that I can't access in the Play store. I have to look more at my build.prop. Something isn't right if I'm setting off compatability warnings for that one app.

Part of it could be the machine type. The cm9 rom identifies my 7042 as a novo7.

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
Hi there, total noob here. How do I apply these changes to my 7042? I have no idea where to find what to edit (I can't even find the system\etc\permissions directory to put it on). Would really appreciate your help.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's not /system/etc/permissions, but /etc/permissions. You need a file manager with root capability to be able to move files. You may want to look into installing one of the custom ROMs we have for your tablet (see the Development Index and Root Utility sticky), as the custom ROMs incorporate all these changes within them already. The only thing you'd have to do is install the ROM. Since you have successfully rooted your tablet this should not be a major problem.

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
It's not /system/etc/permissions, but /etc/permissions. You need a file manager with root capability to be able to move files. You may want to look into installing one of the custom ROMs we have for your tablet (see the Development Index and Root Utility sticky), as the custom ROMs incorporate all these changes within them already. The only thing you'd have to do is install the ROM. Since you have successfully rooted your tablet this should not be a major problem.

I think I really got myself in trouble this time. Here's the history of what I did:

>I followed instructions on your "Read First: development Index and Root Utility". (I think I was able to root the tab coz I got superuser installed)
>Thought I was able to install CWM (Later on I realized I don't think I had it installed - I checked ClockworkMod Recovery - XDA-Developers and realized i don't have the same recovery options)
> installed the 20120429 Google Apps package at Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps (not sure if it worked though coz nothing changed in the system)
> then tried dju35's directions (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-kyros-7042-rooted-deodexed-google-play.html)

After that, I lost the wifi on/off switch, and couldn't get "root explorer" active on ES File Explorer anymore. I couldn't revert to the original settings and even if i could get "root explorer" access back, apparently, ES didn't save the entire system folder I tried backing up. Only thing I have now is the first dump, which I couldn't use.

Sorry for the trouble right after the new year.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Your first thing is to get CWM installed. Your second thing is to install a custom ROM like the Mobiz ROM and stop trying to make the changes yourself, before you truly do brick your tablet.

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
Your first thing is to get CWM installed. Your second thing is to install a custom ROM like the Mobiz ROM and stop trying to make the changes yourself, before you truly do brick your tablet.

Tried installing CWM using your guide but if I'm not mistaken it requires that I put the image file in the "data" sub directory on the root, right? Thing is, I don't have permission to access make changes to that folder. Any advice?

Didn't think I could screw things up this much.