Longer power cord source.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
To dispel some misinformation....
It's NEVER OK to underpower a complex electronic device either by current or voltage.

An AC to DC adapter must be able to supply UP TO the rated capacity that the powered device might draw. In our case the factory AC adapter for the A500 is certified to supply up to 1500mA of current at 12v DC. Using an AC adapter that cannot supply the correct voltage at the maximum power (current) draw could damage your equipment and your power supply.
It's always OK to use an AC to DC adapter that can supply more current than your powered device can DRAW. Notice the word DRAW- yes, the powered device draws power from the adapter and will only take as much as it needs, so if you have a 2000ma power supply, it's not a problem as the A500 will only draw up to 1500mA max- it won't draw 2000ma. The adapter won't "push" more current to the device than it needs- EVER. Voltage is a different matter- that has to match the powered devices needs. Both over and under volting devices is dangerous. Higher than rated voltage can exceed component maximum tolerance and burn out individual components (I.C.'s, diodes, transistors, etc..) on the main circuit board. Undervolting could cause the device to try to draw more current than the circuit is designed to carry and could overheat and burn out components too.

The basics for sourcing the correct power supply:
1) Type of current must match, i.e.- DC for DC devices AC for AC devices
2) Polarity must match- no exceptions- tip + or tip -
2) Voltage should match
3) Current must be equal to or higher than device can draw- but NOT lower than specified by device manufacturer.

Some links to backup above info:
RadioShack Guide to Understanding Power Conversion: AC Adapters
Digidave.co.uk Support Helpdesk - Powered By Kayako eSupport v2.3.5
How to Match Up AC Power Adapters | eHow.com

Last edited:

FarmerTed

May 14, 2011
To dispel some misinformation....
It's NEVER OK to underpower a complex electronic device either by current or voltage.

An AC to DC adapter must be able to supply UP TO the rated capacity that the powered device might draw. In our case the factory AC adapter for the A500 is certified to supply up to 1500mA of current at 12v DC. Using an AC adapter that cannot supply the correct voltage at the maximum power (current) draw could damage your equipment and your power supply.
It's always OK to use an AC to DC adapter that can supply more current than your powered device can DRAW. Notice the word DRAW- yes, the powered device draws power from the adapter and will only take as much as it needs, so if you have a 2000ma power supply, it's not a problem as the A500 will only draw up to 1500mA max- it won't draw 2000ma. The adapter won't "push" more current to the device than it needs- EVER. Voltage is a different matter- that has to match the powered devices needs. Both over and under volting devices is dangerous. Higher than rated voltage can exceed component maximum tolerance and burn out individual components (I.C.'s, diodes, transistors, etc..) on the main circuit board. Undervolting could cause the device to try to draw more current than the circuit is designed to carry and could overheat and burn out components too.

The basics for sourcing the correct power supply:
1) Type of current must match, i.e.- DC for DC devices AC for AC devices
2) Polarity must match- no exceptions- tip + or tip -
2) Voltage should match
3) Current must be equal to or higher than device can draw- but NOT lower than specified by device manufacturer.

Some links to backup above info:
RadioShack Guide to Understanding Power Conversion: AC Adapters
Digidave.co.uk Support Helpdesk - Powered By Kayako eSupport v2.3.5
How to Match Up AC Power Adapters | eHow.com

If the A500 does indeed control the current to the battery you are correct, an adapter that can supply more current at the same voltage is fine, but to say an adapter with lower current cannot be used on a battery-powered device is false. We are NOT talking about a device that is fully powered by the adapter itself, such as something like a network switch or other device that has an AC/DC adapter as its sole power source. The A500 is powered by the battery, period. The adapter charges the battery and that is all, the only reason there is a dedicated charge port on the A500 is because the battery is 12v, as a result the 5v USB port and power supplies cannot be used.

Speaking of USB and charging, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. USB 2.0 ports supply a maximum of 500mA, however a USB charger can supply up to 1.5A (1500mA) at 5v, the difference in charging time is very obvious; The USB charger @ 1.5A will charge a device up to 3x faster than charging via a PC's USB port.

Since the battery in the A500 has a capacity of 3260mAh you should be able to safely charge the battery with a charger that can supply 3260mAh of current, but that doesn't take into account the connector or associated wiring. It likely cannot handle 3.26A of current safely and, in reality, if the charger in the A500 doesn't control current you could actually risk fire or damage by using an adapter with a mAh rating that exceeds the factory adapter.

Using an adapter with a lower mAh on battery-powered devices will not harm the device since the adapter's sole purpose is to charge, the lower mAh will simply result in a slower charge rate.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
If the manufacturer specs a 1500mA supply- they have a good reason- they designed the device, they tested it. They set the minimum spec for charging not the users.

Under worst case scenario the manufacturer found the A500 could (possibly) draw 1500mA at 12v- now you plug in a 1300mA charger that's certified to give 12v at 1300mA. What kind of voltage do think that $15 charger is going to put out when you try to pull 15% over it's rated max current? Certainly not 12v, maybe 10v, maybe 9v before it's thermal protection kicks in and shuts it down completely. It does have thermal protection against overload current right, or does it just melt?

If you give it a > 1500mA power supply you should never have any worries because those devices are rated to give you full 12v at 1500mA or above.

A 1300mA charger isn't the correct charger for the A500... be patient folks.

adammhaile

May 17, 2011
If the A500 does indeed control the current to the battery you are correct, an adapter that can supply more current at the same voltage is fine, but to say an adapter with lower current cannot be used on a battery-powered device is false. We are NOT talking about a device that is fully powered by the adapter itself, such as something like a network switch or other device that has an AC/DC adapter as its sole power source. The A500 is powered by the battery, period. The adapter charges the battery and that is all, the only reason there is a dedicated charge port on the A500 is because the battery is 12v, as a result the 5v USB port and power supplies cannot be used.

Speaking of USB and charging, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. USB 2.0 ports supply a maximum of 500mA, however a USB charger can supply up to 1.5A (1500mA) at 5v, the difference in charging time is very obvious; The USB charger @ 1.5A will charge a device up to 3x faster than charging via a PC's USB port.

Since the battery in the A500 has a capacity of 3260mAh you should be able to safely charge the battery with a charger that can supply 3260mAh of current, but that doesn't take into account the connector or associated wiring. It likely cannot handle 3.26A of current safely and, in reality, if the charger in the A500 doesn't control current you could actually risk fire or damage by using an adapter with a mAh rating that exceeds the factory adapter.

Using an adapter with a lower mAh on battery-powered devices will not harm the device since the adapter's sole purpose is to charge, the lower mAh will simply result in a slower charge rate.

No electronics these days have unregulated circuits, especially in charging circuits. The charger is not just wired directly into the battery leads. All modern rechargeable batteries, Lithium-Polymer in this case, require very precise charging and conditioning circuit that ensure that the battery gets a very specific maximum input voltage and current. If they do not, the battery will overheat and explode. Lithium is a VERY volatile element and it's for this reason that they don't let you onto a plane with more than a certain number of Li-Ion or Li-Pol batteries... since a single laptop battery has the same potential energy of a hand grenade!

Point being, it's guaranteed that the A500 controls the current to the battery. And again, voltage is supplied, current is drawn... it will only ever take what the charging circuit allows it. If you did not control the current to the battery, you would be creating a short which would effectively try to consume infinite current (within the tolerances of the overall resistance of the circuit).

kes601

May 23, 2011
I got my charger today (the one from eBay), it does indeed work and has a long cord. I'm not overly impressed w/the build quality, but it does the job.

Kidd.Karnage

May 27, 2011
OK guys here is the down and dirty reality that I have come to realize.....the quick fix for the power cord. THERE AINT ONE.....the items available at walmart just don't work...I tried the car charger idea looped through a wall aptoer ( 100 - 220 V AC in to 12 V out) and I watched as the battery continued to drain out slowly but steadily...now I'm not saying that a for those of you who it did work for are full of it, I'm just saying it didn't work out for me....thankfully I was able to retrieve my OEM charger from my work place today and lo - and - behold we are charging....just ztick with the OEM charger and get an extention cord until Acer or whomever puts out a second option....

DUECES!!!!!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

andyng

Jun 3, 2011
Since I am at my PC most of the time I was thinking of tapping 12v from my PC Switching Power Supply. Do you think it would work ?

it2steve

Feb 16, 2011
Here you go, guys: AC Adapter for Acer Iconia - 6 Foot [AC_ICONIA] - $15.00 : electronicCrap, Accessories for Android Tablets and Phones This is from Steve in this forum and others. I have bought product from him and can vouch for him wholeheartedly. If he says this PS will work, then he's done his homework and knows for sure.

I appreciate that... thanks. I did just get the adapters and screen protectors in AND I have a case on the way similar to the PRIME for the transformer but it has white stitching like the 'm' series for the gTab. Should be this week :)

...sent from my android tablet

genoa

Jun 24, 2011
Anyone actually confirm the plug physical dimensions?
Using a steel ruler it looks like it may be 0.70mm ID x 2.35mm OD, but it's really hard to tell without a micrometer.
If it is 0.70 ID x 2.35mm OD then these extension cables would work: 0.7mm x 2.35mm Power Adapter Extension Cord

Hi,
Did you get an answer to this?
I am in the UK and can't find the car connector referred to, so was going to make one up, but would like to get the right size plug.
Thanks,

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
I've emailed Acer to provide a third party replacement charger with longer wire (...yeah, right, that'll be the day!) But still, if you are sitting at an airport waiting for your connecting flight, you can't even plugin the damn thing to charge because it's not reaching that far. Unless of course you want to put it on the ground for someone to leave a footprint on the glass.

LOL, find a socket up on a bench so it does not sit on the floor.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
If your standard of determining if a charger "works fine" is to plug it in, I suggest you are headed for tears some day.
You need to learn to READ charger specifications, and polarity specifications and charging connector designations.
As for polarity with those chargers, you have both + and -
It depends on which way you plug in the tip.
How do I set the polarity on my AC adapter or car cord adapter?
Maybe you learned something.

AlmaL

Aug 11, 2011
I appreciate that... thanks. I did just get the adapters and screen protectors in AND I have a case on the way similar to the PRIME for the transformer but it has white stitching like the 'm' series for the gTab. Should be this week :)

...sent from my android tablet

So how is the charger you bought? is it working fine? do you recommend to others? Please let us know as I am looking for a longer power cord too.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I have Ben looking for an adapter with a longer cord,but haven't found a God one (the electoniccrap.com one is only 4'). Now I'm traveling and left my adapter at home. So, I got serious and went to Radio Shack. They have one that seems to be perfect. The Enercell #253-358 has a 6' cord and uses replaceable tips ('G' works for the a500). It costs $30, but my battery won't last 3days.
- Conrad

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum