Looking for a tablet with good hand-writing to text features!

krc19

Jan 7, 2012
I am looking for a tablet that will replace my paper notebooks. I would like to hand-write on the tablet with a stylus and have it translate automatically to a text document. I know that the HTC Flyer could do this, but it is discontinued and seems impossible to find (and where I can find it, it is overpriced). Can any other tablets do this well? Evernote allows typing by hand, but I would really like something that allows me to smoothly hand-write on the tablet and will turn it to text.

Thank you for any info you have!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I am looking for a tablet that will replace my paper notebooks. I would like to hand-write on the tablet with a stylus and have it translate automatically to a text document. I know that the HTC Flyer could do this, but it is discontinued and seems impossible to find (and where I can find it, it is overpriced). Can any other tablets do this well? Evernote allows typing by hand, but I would really like something that allows me to smoothly hand-write on the tablet and will turn it to text.

Thank you for any info you have!

I don't think even the HTC Flyer offers handwriting recognition, the closest I have come is Grafitti, a holdover from the Palm days. Probably need a windows tablet for now.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

krc19

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks -- Does Graffiti translate to text, or does it just save hand-writing? What app on Windows 7 can serve this function? It looks like the Windows message from harryl might be spam, but I could be wrong?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks -- Does Graffiti translate to text, or does it just save hand-writing? What app on Windows 7 can serve this function? It looks like the Windows message from harryl might be spam, but I could be wrong?

No, grafitti is more a gesture based keyboard, that recognizes character by character. It really isn't handwriting recognition in the sense of OCR. Windows has true handwriting recognition built into the OS. I used to use OneNote on a windows based tablet and it was pretty accurate.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Zogman

Jun 12, 2012
Why the heck can't android do this? My old Ipaq PDA did a fantastic job of this. This is an "old" technology!! Right now, every tablet is nothing more than a social media, multimedia player. Not useful for any real business or productivity. This is damn disappointing.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Zogman said:
Why the heck can't android do this? My old Ipaq PDA did a fantastic job of this. This is an "old" technology!! Right now, every tablet is nothing more than a social media, multimedia player. Not useful for any real business or productivity. This is damn disappointing.

7notes Mazec does a pretty good job of both printed and cursive recognition, there is a bit of a learning curve and the input is still done in an input panel rather than kind of a freestyle recognition such as OneNote or even the old Messagepad.