Looking for functional auto sync Contacts application

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks Roger for the heads up. What I am trying to get is a simple name, phone number list along with email addresses populating the email app. When I imported the contact info I know all the data is there. Was able to see it in Folder Manager app I use for folder creation on the launcher (Use Zeam). But could not find a way to view the info and do a look up of a contact. I am downloading a few the contact apps you listed. Bob

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
I have an Archos 5IT, and my wife has the Nook. On the Archos, I bring up contacts and it gives me address, phone#, email and more. when I click on address it opens google maps and shows me the location. when I click on the email address it opens up the email application. Will Looklink do these things?

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
I haven't played around on with it because it's on my wife's NC, but I downloaded Blitzer Google App from the Market and it syncs with Google mail. My wife's contact list isn't robust so I don't know how functional it is. However, it looks like it should work.

Thanks for the suggestion, works great !
Only problem I have I can't see home address in the contact list.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Do i want bitzer mobile or google?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

davepriley1

Feb 18, 2011
I installed bitzer on my nook and now when i start typing in the to column of compose email, it pops up my contacts!! woot woot!

How do you setup Blitzer once on the Nook Color?

I have Bitzer installed and synced with my Gmail account contacts, but when I attempt to compose an email on my Nook it does auto populate with the suggested contact name.

dsolar

Feb 21, 2011
@Rogand:

I am not getting the email addresses to show up in the To: field, even though you can see the full successful import in the Bitzer app?
I am not running a google-apps-for-business account as your email source for Bitzer
I am using my regular gmail account, which is also what I associated your nook with?

It appears davepriley1 is having a similar issue to you and I.

I welcome any help / direction.

thanks
...don

JimDantin

Feb 3, 2011
I've been working on my Contacts like the rest of you. I successfully imported 1898 contacts today :D. I have found a bit of a different approach that you might want to try.

1. Importing the contacts -- I figured out how to fix the import problems -- if you open the VCF file that you generated from Gmail, you will see the multi-line problems are more than just a Notes issue. Any long line will be wrapped. The importer chokes on these wrapped lines.

To fix the problem I did a find and replace using Word -- you want to eliminate any Return followed by a space. Find: "^p " (that's ^p followed by a space, without the quotes). Replace: (leave it blank). Replace all. You can use any text editor that handles special characters like returns.

I posted an update about this on nookDevs.

All 1898 contacts then imported without any errors!

2. Indexing/Search -- Next, you want to install Contact Lookup by Softwyer. There are 3 versions - a free one and two more powerful ones that you have to pay for. This app indexes the contacts and provides a powerful search engine for email or whatever. You also need to load their Contact Viewer app. It's much nicer than Bitzer and will display all the details that get imported (see below). It also comes in a free and pay version.

One problem with Contact Lookup Fast version -- it currently has a problem with our SDCARD location for some reason. I'm working with the developer to try to fix it. Other than the SDCARD issue, everything else works perfectly. I bought it.

We need to find some way to import ALL of the Contact fields from the VCF file (or some other transfer/sync method) into the NC's database. If they get in, then Contact Viewer will search and display them! The native NC Contact app does NOT store its data in the normal Android way.

I've been searching for a better importer but can't find anything good. I would really appreciate leads on anything you might find. Another approach would be to root uninstall Contacts and maybe the Content Provider and replace with more standardized Android versions. Then the Gmail sync would get all the contact fields without the crazy import process.

I am getting in touch with SPB Software concerning their SPB Migration Tool. I did some reviews of their Windows Mobile products and they are usually excellent. The migration tool might be what we are looking for. Stay tuned.

bdipert

Mar 13, 2011
Hi Jim, I was wondering if yet you had any success with Softwyer regarding Contact Lookup Fast, which I purchased for my NOOKcolor prior to reading your post in sufficient detail:

Barnes & Noble's NOOKColor: A 7" Widescreen Android Tablet For $250 Or Under - Brian's Brain | Blog on EDN

Also FYI everyone, there are currently a couple of bugs in Import Contacts, related to contact entries with organization names but no specific associated individual's name, and to new formatting in the 3.0 vCard specs which the utility is not correctly handling. I'm in communication with Tim, the developer, and he hopes to have an updated version posted within a few weeks that resolves both issues.

Last edited:

JimDantin

Feb 3, 2011
Softwyer fixed the SDcard problem -- it now works perfectly on my NookColor. You should be able to get the update through the market.

I posted a quick review of SPB Migration tool after testing it. It did migrate far more fields than anything else I've found. I noticed that some phone numbers weren't labelled properly (Mobile instead of Business in some cases) and Categories were not migrated to Android's Groups. Other than that it works great. A full evaluation and review should appear on mymobileville.com soon.

Last edited: