Looking for the best processor speed. PLEASE HELP!

OCDetails

Sep 8, 2010
I've been an Android user since the G1 first came out for t-mobile. Being an early adopter has its drawbacks sometimes, but I'm glad I wasn't stupid and just hit ebay up for the cheapest one I could find. I'm glad I found this forum and hopefully you guys can give me some advice.

I've read about how the zenithink doesn't have the processor in it that it is advertised having. I'm looking for something with a true 1GHz processor in it, so I'm not sure what to look at anymore. Let me just make a short laundry list of what I'd like it to do and then maybe you guys could throw me some recomendations.

Would like it to have:

10.2" screen
1GHz processor
256MB+ RAM (if they make any larger than that in the 10.2" size then that would be great)
<$250 USD

I'm not being too picky, really. I realize I'm not in the market for the top of the line product here, but this is really more of just a toy to entertain me on business trips. I spend a lot of time in an airplane and wanted something to play with when the laptop dies. I've been using Tablet PCs for years and years (since 2001) and do most of my work on one of those, but having a smaller ipad type device is just what the doctor ordered.

I am still going to be doing a lot of research, but any advice you guys can give that would point me in the right direction would be really helpful. I'm having a difficult time figuring out which product is which and which one has which processor in it. I don't want to get screwed and I know shopping on the low end of the scale opens me up for that, so I'm looking for guidance. :) Thanks in advance!

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
Cruz tablet, Archos 101, or archos 43 or archos 70, there are lots coming around soon if you have the patience to wait. My brain hurts right now and im sleepy, sorry I can't be more helpful and specific.

wintermute

Sep 4, 2010
the only 10" android tablet on the market right now seems to be the zenithink and its variants. it's not a cortex a8, but most people seem to think it does run at 1 ghz.

a lot of people are pinning their hopes on the the archos 101, which seems to tick all the boxes. capacitive 10" screen, 1ghz a8 cortex, accelerometer, front facing camera, hdmi, bluetooth. it's not out yet though, and is expected to launch at $299.

then there's the tegra-based tablets, which will probably be pricier. it's probably worthwhile to wait and see how the market shakes out. currently there's a lot more choices at the 7" form factor.

OCDetails

Sep 8, 2010
Hmmm.... I hate options sometimes. I'm also not great at waiting. The bottom line is that in 9 months everything will be twice as fast and cost the same anyway, so you might as well get the least expensive model which has the options you need and then upgrade if you outgrow it. Rarely does 'state of the art' remain so for very long. ;) Darn Moore's law...

Would I be able to upgrade to Android 2.2 on the zenithink tablet? If you need the Cortex a8 in order to run flash and 2.2 is supposed to run it right out of the box, will it even upgrade? Like I said before, I'm on a G1 still and shopping for my next Android phone as well (think I'll wait till Christmas after Gingerbread comes out hopefully and all the new phones are coming with 2.2 already installed) so my experience with the Android OS ended at version 1.6. Once I get a new phone I'll use the G1 to experiment with and see what I can do, but I don't want to brick it just yet.

skycop51

Sep 9, 2010
cannot update the 2.1 period unless you are a geek, etc. no offense intended.

Last edited: