Lost The Ability To Make Phone Calls

Tina0503

Aug 19, 2017
Hello,
I have a real strange problem and I can find nothing about it nowhere...hopefully I have some luck here...

I have a Galaxy Tab A using Android 5.0.2 and it lost it's phone app and the ability to make calls. Not just the icon, there is no phone app at all to be found.
I tried to download an app from the google store and I could send texts with it but couldn't make no calls. When I try to call the tablet from my phone, it goes straight to voicemail. I did a factory reset but still no "native" phone app and no calls :-(
I am not that tech savy so I ran out of things to try....
Please does anybody have any idea? Did I do something wrong or am I missing something???

Thanks a lot!!

Tina

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you have a firmware update come from Samsung recently? Because the only way the dialer would have been removed is if Samsung removed it via a firmware update.

Tina0503

Aug 19, 2017
Thank you
I don't know if I had an update..I did a factory reset yesterday and didn't have the phone icon right after that..I didn't pay attention though if it did an update right after the new install. Should I try to do a reset again?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No, because you very likely received an update that pulled the phone app. And being Touchwiz you can't just use any ol' phone app, but have to use their dialer. You can try searching for the Touchwiz dialer and, if successful, sideload it. However, if the dialer framework was also removed, even sideloading the dialer won't help.