Love my new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 but have a few questions.

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
Howdy all,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section (I'm new to the forums).

I recently bought myself a new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet for Xmas and am loving it so far. This is my very 1st tablet, but i have always owned Samsung products from T.V, Fridge, Cell Phone, Camera ect....Love Samsung.

I have been exploring all the features of my new tablet and am slowly picking up on stuff, but there are a few things i read about on the forums here which got me to thinking (forgive my noobness on some of these questions).

1) What exactly is/does Dual Mode Wifi mean & why is it an important feature?
2) What is "Wacom Digitizer layer" mean/do?
3) I have seen some talk about "BT 4" What exactly is that?
4) My tablet is Wifi only - Will i get the new Jeely Bean update coming out or do i have to download it from the internet or take it to Best Buy for them to install it????

Any tips and/or tricks you can inform me about are very welcomed!!!

Thanks for taken the time to read this post, and again sorry about the noob questions!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your tablet. Everybody is a noob at some point so don't worry about it.

1. Dual mode refers to frequency the wifi router is broadcasting on. The traditional frequency is 2.4GHz which is used by everything from your microwave to your cordless land line. Since this is a crowded frequency interference from other devices can sometimes be experienced. To help with this newer routers also broadcast on the 5GHz frequency. Having a dual band router and dual band device means that the router can broad cast on both frequencies and the device can receive on both frequencies. If a device is older it will only pick up the 2.4GHz band of the router.

2. A digitizer layer is a special layer just for stylus input. Just like a capacitive screen has sensors to detect your fingers, a digitizer layer receives the input of the digitizer stylus to get accurate results. A capacitive stylus is essentially like writing with your finger while writing with a digitizer is like writing with a pen on paper.

3. BT 4 is Bluetooth 4, which is the latest bluetooth standard. Consult Wikipedia for more info.

4. Samsung will send out Android updates over wifi and you should receive a notification that an update is available. Simply click ok to install it. You can also check under Settings>About device and see if there are updates available or check Samsung's website fr the latest OS version.

There are many tips and tricks but that is what this forum is for so go read around ;)

JP

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

i figured thats what dual band meant (i do have a dual band router so thats cool).

If you dont mind i have a few other questions:

Is there any way to add more apps to the pop up tray (when you hit the ^ symbol)? Or is that feature coming with the update?

Why does my screen (while on my tabllet) act like a type writer when i am posting/responding on this forum? With each keystroke my screen moves up, eventualy scrolling up far enough to where i cant see what i'm typing? Eventualy i have to scroll the screen back down so i can see what i'm typing.

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
still looking for answers to my above questions, but had another question.

is there anyway i can organize my pictures into folders on my tablet? so when i hit picture gallary all my pictures are organized into folders....like a family folder, a friends folders, mis folder ect....? vs the current "camera" / "screen shot" and downloaded" folders that show up? could you do something like that with astro file manager or a simuler program.

thanks again

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
Is there any way to add more apps to the pop up tray (when you hit the ^ symbol)? Or is that feature coming with the update?

Why does my screen (while on my tabllet) act like a type writer when i am posting/responding on this forum? With each keystroke my screen moves up, eventualy scrolling up far enough to where i cant see what i'm typing? Eventualy i have to scroll the screen ...

is there anyway i can organize my pictures into folders on my tablet? so when i hit picture gallary all my pictures are organized into folders....like a family folder, a friends folders, mis folder ect....? vs the current "camera" / "screen shot" and downloaded" folders that show up? could you do something like that with astro file manager or a simuler program.

thanks again

1) Articles and videos show more apps available on this bar. But I don't know how customizable it will be.

2) I don't have a real solution for this. I have the same problem with a number of forum when using them on the tablet browser. Fortunately some forums use the tapatalk app and this it what I use for this forum. You can find the tapatalk app in the Google play store. Right now the HD BETA one for tablets is free to tryout. Ì'm using it and I like it.

3) Note 10.1 comes with a file management app called My Files. You can use this to create folders and organize your photos. Once the photos are in their own folders you will see the folders in the Gallery app. There are other file management apps in the Google Play store if you don't care for the one that comes with the tablet. But I think it does the job pretty well.

Auntie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk HD

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I used astro file manager to create folders to organize my picutres.

Yea i noticed the 1st time i visted this site via my tablet it suggested that i install tapatalk but wasn't really sure what it was for so i ignored the suggestion, but guess i should give it a try.

So the ability to add more apps to that bar is only possible once i get the update??

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
As I understand it the number of apps, kind of mini apps I guess, is increased with the Jelly Bean update. Also Samsung is making it easier for developers to make their apps compatible with Notes multitasking capabilities.
Also their is a customised version of Tapatalk for this forum that is free from the market, ad supported of course.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
Ok maybe i will look into Tapatalk.

Another question i have (sorry for all the questions), is there anyway when i take a video with my tablet to have the video save to the video folder i created on the SD card vs the video being saved to the default camera folder? Currently when i take a video i use astro file manager and move the video over to the correct folder.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Tapatalk HD is on sale for $0.99 today. It will be going up in price (rumored to be $2.99 tomorrow and $4.99 on Wednesday)

I have heard there are some camera apps that can change the save to folder for that specific app, but most are just for jpgs and do not shoot video.

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
Tapatalk HD is on sale for $0.99 today. It will be going up in price (rumored to be $2.99 tomorrow and $4.99 on Wednesday)

I grabbed it this morning for $0.99 :D I've been using the original version for a long time and was glad to see the HD one come out it beta. I use it for several forum. I just wish it worked with all the forums I participate in.

Auntie

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I just picked it up as well. I've been using Tapatalk starting with my Huawei S7. Just a great app, now even better!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
i downloaded the tapatalk hd app from google play for free just now? Is this the same app/version yall are talking about?

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
After receiving the 4.1.2 update I now have 21 apps in the Multi Tray ("^" bar). I'm happy to see that Gmail, Facebook and Gallery have been added. These are all apps that can be used for multi tasking. You can choose to use them in cascade or dual screen mode. You can resize the app window or maximize it to full screen in csacade mode. You can rearrange the order and remove the ones you don't use from the tray. I think as developers add multi tasking capability to their apps that more will be added. I'm so excited about this!

Auntie

gilhb

Jul 18, 2013
I agree. The 4.1.2 update took this already great tablet to new heights. I have had mine for 11 months and no problems. I use it everyday and also to remotely connect to my laptop. I have on a few occasions checked my task list and been surprised to find 20 apps running plus about 10 tabs open in the browser all while listening to an MP3, with no signs of processor strain at all. Quite amazing.