M70003 just stopped working

mogsy52

Aug 11, 2010
Had a M70003 7" tablet today at about 1pm and used it for just over an hour then all of a sudden the screen went a bit fuzzy and it shut down and now will not switch back on at all.
It seems to be charging ok as there is heat at the back off the tablet where the charger is plugged in (when the charger is on)
As far as I know it's a VIA8505 chip the only info I had from the system itself before it died is: model number: generic
firmware version: 1.6
kernel version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
build number: 1.7.2
Does anyone know if this is a fault that is easily fixed or is it just a case of return to sender?
Thanks

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I would ask the seller now and then that way if it doesnt turn back on there will already be conversation and the return process can happen quicker

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Some of these devices the reset is located under SD storage under settings to do a fully factory reset. If you can get into that settings once the unit has cooled down.

Last edited:

mogsy52

Aug 11, 2010
Well it has been off for over 3 hours now and still won't come back on. I have had it on charge all this time though so it is still warm. Will unplug it now and try later again.
I have spoken to the seller and told him of the problem and that I will keep trying it tonight but if it is still like this in the morning then he is having it back. He seems ok at the moment (even though his first comment to me was YOU NEED TO CHARGE IT!! lol)
I can't find any reset button on it anywhere but there is a small hole at the top of the unit near the volume and power buttons and another near the dc input port. One of these is probably the mic but don't know if the other is possibly a reset inside? Will give it a little poke now

mogsy52

Aug 11, 2010
Ok the small hole near the power input must be the reset button, I can feel it click when I push a paperclip in. Tried that but no luck.Will leave it cool for a couple of hours then try again.
Thanks guys

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Press reset in (hold) Then turn on the power again. Still no dice? (Very hot on the back) then let it cool off.

mogsy52

Aug 11, 2010
well I tried the reset a good few times and then I just left it alone and all of a sudden it has just made a noise and turned itself back on.
I have got a new rom image to flash to it but it's all new to me and as I have just had this problem I don't know if it will make it better or worse?

spb37

Aug 1, 2010
Before you flash a rom see if the seller is willing to take it back. A new unit should not get warn and crash. Maybe it is hardware, maybe it is software but in any event you would be totally justified not to be satisfied. Seller probably won't take it back but it is worth a try. If seller is nice we could help you research getting a better rockchip unit probably at the same price you paid.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
well I tried the reset a good few times and then I just left it alone and all of a sudden it has just made a noise and turned itself back on.
I have got a new rom image to flash to it but it's all new to me and as I have just had this problem I don't know if it will make it better or worse?

So it's back on then and you can see your desktop and get on the internet. I would hold off with flashing the unit. If this issue happens again you need to contact the seller for exchange.