M701-R and google maps 5.0.0

tiger_duck08

Nov 24, 2010
I own the M701-R with the fixed SD-slot:

Yesterday I tried to install google maps version 5.0.0 from the market but during the installation process I get the error message "Package file was not signed correctly".

Anybody with the same problem? Any suggestion how I get the update to run properly?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I assume you have used ADB to remove the pre-installed version? If you haven't manually removed it you can't install the update (or I should say install the latest release). Though for me the error was simply that it couldn't install the update, I've not seen your specific error before.

On a related note, the fancy features (3D tilting and rotating) of version 5.0.0 don't appear to work on this tablet even though it's probably capable. I'm guessing they are for only for Froyo so maybe once there is a decent firmware update?

zittergie

Oct 10, 2010
From xda forum:
Google maps update failure fix (11-08-2010)
Connect using ADB and issue the following commands
adb remount busybox
rm /system/app/Maps.apk
cd /system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
sync

Now you can install the new Google Maps version from the Market (If not, just reboot the device & try again.

I have done it this way and it works fine.
The new Google Maps is slower than the previous version

zittergie

Oct 10, 2010
No, streetview crashes very easy. If you move to fast, or move the person icon, it crashes: (

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I don't get a "person icon" on my map for Street View. I have to go to the details for a location and click on Street View from there, which then opens it full screen. It works fine for me, though - no crashing.

I wish there was a way to get the 3D view and rotation to work under Android 2.1. My tablet has accelerated 3D graphics, it should be technically capable. I've tried pushing the "multitouch.distinct" xml fix, but nothing changed. According to what I've read, the app doesn't "blacklist" any specific devices, so it's probably the presence of a 2.1 os that is blocking the features. Perhaps once Haipad drops a decent "Froyo" rom I'll get fancy maps.