M701-R Haipad-Can it be a phone?

S87

Oct 10, 2010
Can the M701-R be turned into an actual phone? (or is El Telco Loco just a scam to get around Google's "it must be a phone" Market requirement?)

Google Voice will do SMS, but it crashes every time I try and use it for VOIP.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
The microphone on my M701-R is terrible seeming...are you using a headset or is there a way to change the microphone sensitivity? If I do sound recorder, it has to be RIGHT by my mouth...not a deal breaker for me as I don't plan on making calls with it, but if video chat makes it way to the device it would be nice, still not a deal breaker though..fun little pad

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
unfortunately there is not mic input, i have to hold the tablet near my mouth and have gotten a few weird looks in the process

The microphone on my M701-R is terrible seeming...are you using a headset or is there a way to change the microphone sensitivity? If I do sound recorder, it has to be RIGHT by my mouth...not a deal breaker for me as I don't plan on making calls with it, but if video chat makes it way to the device it would be nice, still not a deal breaker though..fun little pad

S87

Oct 10, 2010
What I really envision is the feature Google has within Gmail in the U.S. There is a chat setting that says "call phone." A dial pad pops up and you can dial any phone in the U.S. & Canada for free. No big deal as we already have regular cell phones that do this.

webcarvallo

Jun 28, 2011
i have mine configured to make phone calls - used truphone - Make Cheap Calls from your Mobile using our VoIP App or our Travel SIM

haven't figured out how to recieve phone calls but can make calls into land and cell phones

Could you tell us how did yow get it work? I´ve installed Truphone on mine (Haipad M701 4gb HY) and works with US$0,50 testing credit. Then when I purchase a US5 credit then the app. ask me for a phone number to link with the app. (not remember If I've changed my firmware in this period, maybe yes) I wrote my cell phone # , then never can got to make a call to a land or cell. And truphone app. crashes very frecuently. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled many times, and not got working as expected. I´ve contact truephone support (very nice people) but no solution yet. It seems that app. expects a "cell connection" rather than my wifi (because my current firmware seems to has sim card suport and has a SIM card "x" icon on taskbar. Maybe the problem relates to that. Any idea?

P.D.: Microphone works not too bad, people can hear me (or recorder app. can pickup my voice) if I talk close to the tablet, but no so close as a telephone; I can use it in front my face at 30-40 cm. and microphone get my voice.

P.D.: These chinese tablets are awesome for the price, but amost every vendor lies or ocult info about device real capabilities (like "Skype", even some offers it can make videochat, webTV, webflash support, etc.). Or for example, if you see the device has a front (and not rear) camera you think it´s capable for videochating. But it seems it´s a "video CHEATING"... because I don´t know anyone that has got a working videochat app. on this chinese device. BTW, I can stream video from my Haipad to another device (Desktop or laptop) using ustream app. works pretty well video & sound. Maybe usefull for someone, but it´s no real videochat.

Last edited: