MAC adress spoofing on Android 1.6 tablet?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Silly but needed question? Are you wanting to create a spoofed address or identify a spoofed address coming from an Android device?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Simple Googling turned up these instructions. This is to spoof not identify spoofed addys

First, you need to download a free app called Android Terminal Emulator. It is free and works on the Incredible. You do not need root for this to work. To change back to your normal MAC Address, just follow these steps to change it back or restart your phone.

It makes this easier if you already know your real MAC Address which can be found at:
All Programs > Settings > Wireless & Networks > WiFi Settings > Menu button > Advanced

Keep this in mind

Then, open the Terminal Emulator previously installed. You need to run a few linux commands to get the change. You need to find the name of your card. To do this type this without the quotes (''):
'ip link show'

This will provide a list of a bunch of different interfaces. Find the one that has the same MAC address as the one found above. On the Incredible, it is the last one called eth0. I will use eth0 in the examples, but if it is different, then change eth0 to your own one in the following commands.

To change the MAC Address, type this without the quotes (''):
'ip link set eth0 address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'
'ip link set eth0 broadcast XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'

XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is the new MAC Address you want where each X is a letter A-F or number.

Finally, to check if the MAC Address has changed, type this without the quotes (''):
'ip link show eth0'

TESTED, works BUT, I know how to identify this addy as spoofed. But that is a different story.
tested on my Rooted- A81-E and X5A

Palm_Pre

Oct 11, 2010
"you need to download a free app called Android Terminal Emulator"

That's the problem. There is no Android Market on tablet. Is there any way to download and install it?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
google is your friend Just google (Android Terminal Emulator apk) and use any of the rapidshare or similar sources

Palm_Pre

Oct 11, 2010
It looks like for MAC spoofing with ip command you should be a root.

Anyway, long story.

ip link show
gives some output

1: lo: <there_is_some_information>
<in_two_lines_btw>
2: ra0 <some_information_here>
link/ether ab:cd:ef:gh:ij:kl [there is actual aPad MAC address] brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Now
ip set ether address 00:17:3F:3A:F0:7E

and output is
ip: socket: Operation not permitted

Jaapie1976

Jan 4, 2012
Hi there,

I have a archos 70b e reader. I have rooted it with froyo 2.2.
When i bought it i could not get wifi to workm this was before i rooted it.

After rooting the device i still could not do so. It basically says that there is no wifi mac address available.

Is there a way to add this? I have got android terminal emulator and did ip link show. it comes back stating: IP:not found.

Can someone help me with this. It is driving me insane! Google is my friend but i seem to be the only person in the world to have this problem.
I just need to know, even if the WIFI is physically broken at least i know i need to send it back to the shop.

BTW i am not an expert on MAC addresses so please let me know if i am asking a silly question.

Thanks in advance.