Major Storage Issue!

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Well, guess what just happened to me?
Yup, the "low on space" glitch occured again. I factory resetted and tried to restore my data that my backup app had made, only to discover that it must not work right on Android 3!!!
Now I am using Titanium Backup and even tested it, so it works. Hopefully next time I wont have to redo EVERYTHING!
Actually, hopefully they will fix this annoyance in the 3.1 update!!!!!!
(yes, I am very irritated right now)

Torrez

Jan 9, 2012
I'm also having this same issue with my Xoom I've posted this message in the Motorola Xoom forum but have not received an answer to what may be causing this issue.

Low Storage issues - Xoom

Discussion Content:
Has anyone found a solution to the issue of LOW STORAGE conditions that appear mysteriously over a short time of using your Xoom. I searched the Internet in regards to this issue and it seems that most owners are simply Hard resetting their device to resolve the problem which in my opinion should not be the case due to the fact the issue will simply occur again. As for me Ive tried numerous techniques to reclaim storage space from using ES Explorer to delete temp files to clearing out the cache files but I'm no where near the 2 gig of free space I had days back my current space is 5mb!!!..
Im also hearing that Motorola is aware of the problem and should have a fix to the issue but that statment was made 4 months ago from someone in another forum.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I'm also having this same issue with my Xoom I've posted this message in the Motorola Xoom forum but have not received an answer to what may be causing this issue.

Low Storage issues - Xoom

Discussion Content:
Has anyone found a solution to the issue of LOW STORAGE conditions that appear mysteriously over a short time of using your Xoom. I searched the Internet in regards to this issue and it seems that most owners are simply Hard resetting their device to resolve the problem which in my opinion should not be the case due to the fact the issue will simply occur again. As for me Ive tried numerous techniques to reclaim storage space from using ES Explorer to delete temp files to clearing out the cache files but I'm no where near the 2 gig of free space I had days back my current space is 5mb!!!..
Im also hearing that Motorola is aware of the problem and should have a fix to the issue but that statment was made 4 months ago from someone in another forum.

A yes, this issue again. Someone recently started a new thread after having the same issue on their HC3.0.1 Iconia A500. I posted all info and solutions there... but now can't find the thread, so here it is again:

I am assuming (and hope) you are on HC3.0.x?
This is a bug that occurred occassionally on the first versions of Honeycomb. I don't think the exact triggers that would make it happen were ever really figured out though. All I know for certain is that at the time (this is an old thread BTW), it only occurred on HC3.0.x, to only SOME people, and to both Iconia A500 and Xoom users (since they were the only HC tablets out at the time... I think).

You need to do TWO things:
First, you need to do a factory reset. You will lose everything and forget about installing an app backup program because the glitch will not let you download any apps off the Market since it thinks you have no room to save them. Yes, this glitch is a PAIN!
This will get your tablet working again, but it is NOT a permanent fix. You may have the issue happen again at any time... happened to me 3x in a very short period... once while showing someone how "cool" my tablet was too (that was embarrassing!).

Second, to permanently fix the glitch, you need to get a newer firmware version. The errors stopped being reported once HC3.1 rolled out and I personally have not had the issue since getting 3.1 and any newer Honeycomb version (currently on 3.2.1).
So, just check your tablet for updates and install them.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know or whatever ;)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Spexwood, I haven't had a problem with memory filling up. I've got 3.2.1 and still no problems. I have 25.01GB free. In fact the last time I checked, before, the most recent update, there was 24.63GB free.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Spexwood, I haven't had a problem with memory filling up. I've got 3.2.1 and still no problems. I have 25.01GB free. In fact the last time I checked, before, the most recent update, there was 24.63GB free.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude or mean or anything, but what was the purpose of your post? It just confused me because you posted mentioning that you are on 3.2.1 and having no issues.
Are you only confirming that you are on 3.2.1, and have not seen any memory problems? If so, then thanks for chiming in :)

Just to reiterate though (just in case):
The memory issue only seems to happen on versions of Honeycomb older than 3.1 (ie, 3.0.1 and earlier). Even then, only some people have the issue and it is completely random in its appearance. It was also seen on BOTH the Xoom and Iconia A500 (meaning that it was a Honeycomb glitch and not the fault of Motorola or Acer).

Once 3.1 rolled out, they seemed to have fixed the issue and it should have been kept fixed all the way through 3.2.1. No one running anything 3.1 and above have reported the issue to the best of my knowledge.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I'm honestly not trying to be rude or mean or anything, but what was the purpose of your post? It just confused me because you posted mentioning that you are on 3.2.1 and having no issues.
Are you only confirming that you are on 3.2.1, and have not seen any memory problems? If so, then thanks for chiming in :)

Just to reiterate though (just in case):
The memory issue only seems to happen on versions of Honeycomb older than 3.1 (ie, 3.0.1 and earlier). Even then, only some people have the issue and it is completely random in its appearance. It was also seen on BOTH the Xoom and Iconia A500 (meaning that it was a Honeycomb glitch and not the fault of Motorola or Acer).

Once 3.1 rolled out, they seemed to have fixed the issue and it should have been kept fixed all the way through 3.2.1. No one running anything 3.1 and above have reported the issue to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry Spexwood. I should have explained. I originally had 3.0.1 and did not have the problem - maybe one of the lucky ones.
But for your info, now that I think of it, I have somewhat to do with FIERY print server boxes and they too run a distribution of LINUX that also has had that problem where the memory fills up. I wonder if it is related? I not trying to confuse you:rolleyes:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Sorry Spexwood. I should have explained. I originally had 3.0.1 and did not have the problem - maybe one of the lucky ones.
But for your info, now that I think of it, I have somewhat to do with FIERY print server boxes and they too run a distribution of LINUX that also has had that problem where the memory fills up. I wonder if it is related? I not trying to confuse you:rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm... it COULD have been a Linux issue I suppose, since Android is Limux-based. I don't know if the Linux version changed between 3.0.1 and 3.1 though, so I can't even begin to blame this though LOL.

You got lucky with not having the issue though ;-)
It was annoying when we (I was a victim) started reporting the issue because so many people didn't believe us! Then, more and more people spoke up and then Acer or Android/Google supposedy heard our plees and fixed it.
I am soooooo glad it was fixed though... I was literally using my tablet while constantly fearing the bug rearing its ugly head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum