Many issues with ICS update... Not sure it's worth it...

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Installed aLogcat and observed the data for awhile. That deserved another "Thanks" from me. Very interesting. Don't know why I never used this program before. Guess I had it in my head that root is needed. Anyway, watching the tablet's "thoughts" go by is more fun than watching a stupid reality show. :) I have a couple of Errorno=22 related to 161 which I think is GTalk, but that's the only problem I can determine, but might not be important. Thanks again!

You may want to keep in mind that logs are handy tools, but can report a lot of noise that may worry users without justification. In general, a prudent strategy for using logs is:

1.) Watch your logs for a while when you are not having any problems -- to establish a baseline of what your system looks like on a sunny day. Expect to see warnings and errors. These do not mean that your system has any real problem, and are often just the consequence of the way some developer decided to report a given condition. It could have been reported as information, or as warnings/errors.

2.) Forget about the logs until you encounter a problem with the system or an application. When you have a real problem, look for correlating information/warnings/errors in the logs.

The point is to just use the logs when you have a real problem and enjoy your computer.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Great advice Mrhelper. That's exactly how I will use the log app then. I'm sure it will come in handy. BTW...I echo your feelings about rooting. I did obtain root on my first tablet a few years ago, a zt180 (the 1st version out), and I felt it was necessary for that tablet because it just wouldn't clean itself of the junk, and I also wanted to remap the keyboard I was using with it, but I haven't felt any need to root the A500 and probably never will. Thanks again.

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
I have finally done a factory reset. It seems to have solved some issues, but others are outstanding. Seems to be solved: - Unstable applications (flashing and crashing, including Gmail). - Unstable folders (flashing, crashing and all icons on the desktop disappearing). Unsolved: - The GPS does not work (this is a new issue I had not noticed before). - System update does not work (indicates that network coverage is insufficient despite the signal being strong and staying beside the wireless router). - Wifi is unstable (it does not seem to disconnect anymore, but the strength varies a lot, despite I am not moving and other devices show a constant and strong signal). - One time, the device refused to change the orientation, despite I tried several time (had to reboot). Any suggestion on solving these issues? Since I have uninstalled everything and done a factory reset, I doubt this is related to the apps. And even if it were due to the apps, any company that would release a system update not considering how it is compatible with the apps would be totally irresponsible. Also, not everybody has the same apps. So, how come people have the same issues??? I did not have any issue with HoneyComb, which demonstrates that the older version had been well designed. The ICS update was definitely not ready to be released. Customers should not have to find on their end the origin of the issues. It is Acer's job to ensure their product is ready to be released, not customers work to try to fix it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ebookof, unfortunately you are the exception in this case. Acer can't predict the way every single install will go. Just bad luck really. Sometimes you do have to fix things yourself and that is what others here are trying to help you do if you just read and try their suggestions.

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
Look at all the forums on the Internet. I am not an exception... This update was definitely not ready for release. Acer has already admitted that there are lots of issues and mentioned that they would provide an update. However, it is unclear when this will happen. For now... they do not offer any solution, but just ask to wait. We are not talking about an obscure manufacturer. A company like Acer should not release an update that creates so many issues among lots of their clients.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Look at all the forums on the Internet. I am not an exception... This update was definitely not ready for release. Acer has already admitted that there are lots of issues and mentioned that they would provide an update. However, it is unclear when this will happen. For now... they do not offer any solution, but just ask to wait. We are not talking about an obscure manufacturer. A company like Acer should not release an update that creates so many issues among lots of their clients.

Exactly, you are not talking about an obscure manufacture which makes it more certain that the majority of the things you are experiencing are unusual. I am sure that they would not have released a ridiculously bad update (although that does sometimes happen even at big companies). There is more than one post about how everything went perfect and the tablet is better than ever. How do you explain those if the update was bad? Extremely good luck that they actually got a bad install of a bad update that made their tablet good?

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
Exactly, you are not talking about an obscure manufacture which makes it more certain that the majority of the things you are experiencing are unusual. I am sure that they would not have released a ridiculously bad update (although that does sometimes happen even at big companies). There is more than one post about how everything went perfect and the tablet is better than ever. How do you explain those if the update was bad? Extremely good luck that they actually got a bad install of a bad update that made their tablet good?
Updates cause often some issues. However, I have never seen such a level of complaints regarding an update. Acer screwed up big time. As to positive comments... we all know companies like Acer have staff whose job is only to post positive comments on forums and blogs...

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
THe update itself isn't a major issue, there is other aspects.

1. HArdware issues. SOme unit can be damaged, faulty, and not workign properly.

2. Incomplete ICS optimization. Peopel ahve skipped this steeped or shut the unit off before it had a chance to restructure files after the update.

3. Installing leaks and XDA versions, which altered the boot loader and recovery. If you have done this, you WILL have issues. Will peopel over at the XDA forum want to deny any of their roms have caused this, it is an issue. A risk people took. I have one unit I did that with and as a result it is the unit not working correctly.

4. Corrupted OTA download due to congestion. It happens, on many devices.

When you have a vast more peopel with no issues, that is a sign. IF you go over to the XDA forum to see isues, well clearly they have used unauthorized roms. In soem cases modified roms off offcial buidls have benifits, there are issues when you alter aspects of the offcial system and update.

dragoro

Aug 21, 2011
Ive had no problems with the update. I guess that means I work for acer, so I wonder why I havent been receiving the pay checks ...

ackmenow

Dec 21, 2011
After the update, I had problem with Wifi which constantly reset the system. When I turned the Wifi off, it worked fine. I finally did factory reset and reinstall the apps again one at a time. The system is running faster now and has been working flawlessly since then. I'm very happy with this ICS update.

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
Okay...official word from the Acer Iconia help desk (Australia)... The early ICS update had "technical issues" and the update has been rolled back to May 17th for us Australians (I suppose it applies to other parts of the world still waiting as well). If you are getting the "move to another area with better network coverage" message the problem is NOT yours or your equipment...it is at Acer's end and that, according to the rep I spoke to, is official. Those getting that weird message on trying to update will notice that from time to time they will also get the message telling them (erroneously) that their tab is up to date. Just wait folks...better to wait and be happy than get a botched download.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Okay...official word from the Acer Iconia help desk (Australia)... The early ICS update had "technical issues" and the update has been rolled back to May 17th for us Australians (I suppose it applies to other parts of the world still waiting as well). If you are getting the "move to another area with better network coverage" message the problem is NOT yours or your equipment...it is at Acer's end and that, according to the rep I spoke to, is official. Those getting that weird message on trying to update will notice that from time to time they will also get the message telling them (erroneously) that their tab is up to date. Just wait folks...better to wait and be happy than get a botched download.

odd official reports say otherwise.

link to official page?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I would be careful applying the word "official" to anything a help desk/customer service says. They are often known to give conflicting information and by no means is this directed at just Acer.

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
odd official reports say otherwise.

link to official page?

I rang the helpline TWICE yesterday (local time). Got a different rep each time. Each rep (obviously from the accent in Manila) told me the update was flawed...that there were problems and that the official word from head office was that the update (local Australian) was being pushed back to May16th. Now, why on earth would I lie about this?