Meiying M11 tablet short hands-on review (Rockchip RK2918)

rustem

May 3, 2011
Meiyizu
Meiying M11: Wholesale 8 Inch Capacitive Touching Screen Tablet PC MID with Android 2.3/CPU 1.2GHz/HDD 8GB/WiFi/HDMI/USB/Externa
8inch, 800X600 capacitive, 2-point touch, Rockchip RK2918, Android 2.3.1, 512 MB RAM / 8 GB ROM.

It's quite new tablet on the market, I couldn't find any user reviews online before I bought it. I decided to give it a try. It's mys first Android tablet so I don't have anything to compare it with (except for Apple iPad, maybe).

I bought it through **************. Delivery was OK, fast enough. The box came little creased on one side, but nothing to worry about.

The tablet came with a custom "leather" case with Meiying logo on it. It is nice, I can stand my tablet to watch videos or use it as a photo frame. The only problem is that tablet can easily slide out if you carry it, because it's supported only on two sides. There where also cheap headphones (interestingly, they carry Meiying logo on them), wall charger and USB cable,

The build quality is overall pretty good. There is a metal plate on the back, other then that it's plastic. Plastic doesn't feel cheap. The only problem with build quality is that there are some gaps between screen and body - dirt will get in there over time. Also, in mine the gap is a little bigger in lower left corner.

They already put protective film on the screen, which is nice, but again, it doesn't stick in lower left corner in mine.

There is slider/switch that turns screen on and off and also switches to "lock", which really does nothing, except for fixing the slider in that position. The switch itself dangles a bit.

First load was about 2 minutes. System seems to be stable so far, everything works. I might write more as I use it, so far I didn't even connect it to Internet - I have no WiFi at work. The speed it good, menus work without any delays or such. I ran couple apps and games, played couple videos - everything worked fast with no glitches.

There were some .apk files in internal memory, some are in Chinese. It's nice that they let user choose which ones to install.

I like that it has Bluetooth, and it works, I connected to my phone with no problems.

The screen is pretty good. I regret that I didn't buy 1024X768 version (M11+), but mine is not bat too. Angles are ok, except for when you tilt tablet away in album mode. Orientation changes only in 3 directions (only one album mode). Touch response is good, but not as good as iPad's, of course.

What else? It has 2 cameras, I tried them, they both takes pics and videos, quality is very basic. I will see how cameras work with Skype when I connect to Internet at home.

This tablet does not have Android Market, it has some "iAndroid Market". Again, I'll see what it is once I have Internet. I'm afraid this device will not register with Google either, but we'll see.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the device. I like it's size and weight, and price is not bad either, pretty good value.

Well, that's it for now. I may write some more about the device as I use it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2011
Meiyizu
Meiying M11: Wholesale 8 Inch Capacitive Touching Screen Tablet PC MID with Android 2.3/CPU 1.2GHz/HDD 8GB/WiFi/HDMI/USB/Externa
8inch, 800X600 capacitive, 2-point touch, Rockchip RK2918, Android 2.3.1, 512 MB RAM / 8 GB ROM.

It's quite new tablet on the market, I couldn't find any user reviews online before I bought it. I decided to give it a try. It's mys first Android tablet so I don't have anything to compare it with (except for Apple iPad, maybe).

I bought it through **************. Delivery was OK, fast enough. The box came little creased on one side, but nothing to worry about.

The tablet came with a custom "leather" case with Meiying logo on it. It is nice, I can stand my tablet to watch videos or use it as a photo frame. The only problem is that tablet can easily slide out if you carry it, because it's supported only on two sides. There where also cheap headphones (interestingly, they carry Meiying logo on them), wall charger and USB cable,

The build quality is overall pretty good. There is a metal plate on the back, other then that it's plastic. Plastic doesn't feel cheap. The only problem with build quality is that there are some gaps between screen and body - dirt will get in there over time. Also, in mine the gap is a little bigger in lower left corner.

They already put protective film on the screen, which is nice, but again, it doesn't stick in lower left corner in mine.

There is slider/switch that turns screen on and off and also switches to "lock", which really does nothing, except for fixing the slider in that position. The switch itself dangles a bit.

First load was about 2 minutes. System seems to be stable so far, everything works. I might write more as I use it, so far I didn't even connect it to Internet - I have no WiFi at work. The speed it good, menus work without any delays or such. I ran couple apps and games, played couple videos - everything worked fast with no glitches.

There were some .apk files in internal memory, some are in Chinese. It's nice that they let user choose which ones to install.

I like that it has Bluetooth, and it works, I connected to my phone with no problems.

The screen is pretty good. I regret that I didn't buy 1024X768 version (M11+), but mine is not bat too. Angles are ok, except for when you tilt tablet away in album mode. Orientation changes only in 3 directions (only one album mode). Touch response is good, but not as good as iPad's, of course.

What else? It has 2 cameras, I tried them, they both takes pics and videos, quality is very basic. I will see how cameras work with Skype when I connect to Internet at home.

This tablet does not have Android Market, it has some "iAndroid Market". Again, I'll see what it is once I have Internet. I'm afraid this device will not register with Google either, but we'll see.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the device. I like it's size and weight, and price is not bad either, pretty good value.

Well, that's it for now. I may write some more about the device as I use it.

I have one of these as well and I'm pretty impressed. Got mine through MeriMobiles and it does indeed have the full Android Market.

I've been giving my impressions over at SlateDroid: Meiying Phantom M11+...Quick First Impressions - SlateDroid.com.

All in all, this is my favorite tablet I've owned...if only I could get Netflix working...ARGH.

rustem

May 3, 2011
You right, it does have Android Market, I just didn't see it right away. I uninstalled iAndroid market, it's all in Chinese.

rustem

May 3, 2011
Used it for 2 weeks now. What I don't like so far:

- The screen is inset, so it's not as convinient as if it were flash with the surface. Not too big of a deal, though.
- Screen angles are poor, especially when skewing away from you in portrait mode. Screen is also poor in sunlight.
- Speakers could be louder.
- Limited video formats/codecs that can be played with good performance (using core decoder). I installed ArcMedia player, it plays more files then stock player, but performance is poor on higher resolutions – sometimes simply unusable.

Other then that everything is fine. I sure wish Skype would have video calls, but it's absent in many other devices. Because of no video calls, front camera is basically useless.

Battery life is pretty good, it worked almost 6 hours straight with WiFi on. On everyday basis, if you use it only from time to time, it is able to work the whole day or more.

Supplied cover is good only as a stand. It's inconvenient for carrying the device, because tablet can easily slip out of it. It would be better if they made it with rubber bands on four corners instead of plastic holders on two sides.

koolxs

Sep 21, 2011
Hi guys. I have not bought yet this tablet but I'm really interested in buying it. I think that each one has to write about which exactly model is talking about, because we have the *600 and the *768 version and maybe this wont be the only difference among them.
I went to a store that had this in stock and I was pretty excited beforehand about the device because the chip it wears of 1.2GHz can play 1080p and 3d games.
I had the chance to play a little bit with it, so I must say that I had to back off somehow. There's one disadvantage of the device and this is its screen. i was expecting a bright shinny display and instead i found a quite dark one with colours that remind me of very cheap and rather old electronic photo displays. The screen is definately not a"16M colours" or whatever. The responsivness of the screen was just OK, but its luminance and angles are really poor, compared with any of the tablets that I have seen so far (and I already refused to buy).
HOWEVER I still think of buying a MeiYing because of its features. When you buy a chinese tablet (or maybe ANY tablet) the compromises are a fact. You just have to choose according to the compromises you can live with.

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
YAY, just bought mine last night. It's due to arrive by January 5th. Got mine from merimobiles.com they offer 1-year warranty on their devices.

I certainly bought this tablet because of its features. I was going to settle for a Toshiba Thrive 7" but honestly I was being picky about getting something with landscape speakers and a standard USB port - the Meiying has both! It also has the 1G RAM and 1024x768 resolution I wanted and microSD port.

I'm reading that the picture angle isn't great and that it may be hard to see it outside in daylight but I'm really not worried about those things. I can only surmise that most of the time I use it I will be indoors someplace anyway and as for viewing angles, I'll just have to set it up so I can see it that's all.

I'm very excited to be getting this tablet. I will be using it mostly for watching movies and television shows via the microSD or USB chips. I will also browse internet and maybe have some games. I wanted a device that I could take everywhere so I think this one is a good size, though I wanted a 7", it's not a big deal.

I can't wait to get my tablet so I can talk more about it - what I like and dislike. But I'm very excited.

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
I got my tablet today. I am a little disappointed in the screen quality compared to my friend's Kindle Fire.
I don't understand how a 1024x768 res screen can seem poor next to 1024x600.
When playing the fruit game on both, the resolution is "choppy" on the Meiying compared to the crystal clarity of the circles on the Kindle Fire.
This is a little upsetting to me.

Also, my tablet came with English already chosen (thank goodness) but there are still many, many defaults that are Chinese. Will the firmware update fix this?

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
Hey guys, how do you open an SD card once you put it in the tablet???
I tried going into Settings > Storage but it tells me everything is Unavailable.
I have no idea how to get into my microSD!
HALP! :eek:

DragonHeart

Jun 10, 2012
Hi everyone,
I am doing some research and try to find "the best value" tablet.
From the dinodirect site, this meiying m10 comes with office. Not sure it's pre-installed or need to download some apps
For those who has bought one, please let me know if it works like the normal office in windows?
I don't really need full feacture, but as long as it opens office file and does some simple changes.
Thx

JohnMunford

Sep 14, 2012
Just bought a Meiying M10 8inch tablet for just £70 from a Chinese website. All OK - except no technical support! And now my tablet has locked me out by going into exclusively numerical mode - which since my password contains letters as well as numbers means that I can't get passed the initial password request. Any suggestions?