Microphone and Google Talk

sfpx

Jul 29, 2011
Tried the voice recorder and the mic volume is very low. I had to get close of the tablet or to speak very loudly. If I'm speaking normally the meter is around 3% or less. On the other hand voice recognition seems to work fine so I'm a bit lost.

I tried Google talk (chatting to myself on a computer ;) ) and the mic volume seemed much better but then there were a lot of clicking noises.

So far the mic quality is the only thing bothering me.

Last edited:

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Na, you don't want to turn off echo cancellation if you can avoid it. Try making the call with your Smartphone earbuds and see if that helps. If you were already using earbuds, try a different set. I found a big difference in microphone volume between my Nexus One earbuds (very soft) and a set of iPhone earbuds (nice and loud).

But just using the built in mic should work as well.

The problem might be that "They" have their media volume too low. Or perhaps you have your hand over the mic?
(The mic is located in that gap where the screen meets the case adjacent to the MicroSD slot cover).

Can I plug in an external microphone? I don't understand if you mean that the earbuds replace only the A500 speakers or both mic and speakers.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Any earbuds than come with a cell phone have a built in mic.

I thought this was common knowledge.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Any earbuds than come with a cell phone have a built in mic.

I thought this was common knowledge.

What I'm asking is if the A500 supports those microphones. Or do you mean that the ear buds are are used in place of the internal speakers, while still using the internal microphone? Do the ear buds plug into the headset port?

I've been so disappointed with the sound quality of home videos, I'm a little desperate for a better microphone. A USB mic doesn't seem to work. My Bluetooth headset pairs, but doesn't "connect". If I can plug a mic into the headset port, I'd try it. But I can't find any info about what mics may work.

Microphone use is likely common knowledge, but these tablets are rather new to me. Post a link, and I promise to stop asking. :)

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes it supports the mics built into cell phone earbuds. Thats exactly why i recommend them.
Everyone i know has at least one set of these laying around the house.
I make calls all the time with these from my tablet using CsipSimple and Google Talk.