MicroSD on the ZiiO

Kenif

Jan 20, 2011
Anyone else had any experience with MicroSd and the ZiiO?

I used a 16gb microSD with no problems at all.

just got a 32gb microSD.
Formatted it and put 20gb+ of movies onto it and the ZiiO doesn't read the thing.
Nothing I do will make the ZiiO read it.

It keeps asking me to format it, but Android can't format 32gb cards!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You need to format with a PC first. I'm not sure if your device can read 32GB microSD cards. Make sure it is FAT32.

Kenif

Jan 20, 2011
I have formatted it fat32 on my pc first
(full format and also quick format)

It just says blank sd or unsupported file system when it gets put in the ZiiO.

The ZiiO takes my 16gb one fine, but I was hoping for bigger.

cartdude

Jul 28, 2011
I have a ziio7 and after some reading I thought the transcend microsdhc-card would work on it, went and bought it. It worked with the usb mass storage connected (ziio connected to pc) but today when I tried to use just the ziio, I cannot find the card from explorer. Super annoying.

I started playing with it and all I get is the "preparing sd card" and right after that "safe to remove SD card" When I connect the Ziio to pc via usb, turn on and off the usb storage a few times and remove and insert the microsd-card, at some point it gets the hang of it and I can see the card on my pc in addition to the usual Ziio mass storage. After this ziio finds it as well, even without usb (shows up in ziio explorer) as a blue icon, as long as I don't turn it off completely. Sleep mode is ok, but turning the damn thing off resets something.

I'll try to report this to creative and see if they just say "the card is not compatible" or something else useless. I'd hate to have to buy ANOTHER card just because this does not work, even if they say that Transcend 32G cards should..

Kenif

Jan 20, 2011
I got this from creative when enquiring about 32gb cards

Thank you for contacting Creative Labs,

We sincerely apologize for the
delayed response.

For testing, we have tried SanDisk 32GB Micro SDHC and
Transcend 32GB Micro SDHC and both cards are detected by the ZiiO 7 tablet.

I have a SanDisk and it worked fine with the ZiiO

MikeTodd

Mar 26, 2011
Easeus Data Recovery Wizard professional has worked for me. I've recovered data from SATA HDs, USB drives, Firewire and SD cards. This is from some drives which give the same information you describe. In fact, drives which can be read have additional information from previous formats. This data can be recovered as well.

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
I don't want to be an apologist for Creative, and their implementation of mount commands on startup might be a contributing factor, but all should realize the SDHC cards are notoriously finicky. The spec and implementation of this hardware has been a little tricky. The power required, the timing required, and even the code string of brand/speed, etc can mean some SDHC cards will work some of the time and not all the time or not at all in any particular device.
I also had an experience with a card which wouldn't work and simply repartitioned and reformatted and it started working and has been working reliably as well. By the way, I recommend you use a utility like gparted iso boot if you're working with windows.

ray0787

Jul 20, 2012
I have a ziio7 and after some reading I thought the transcend microsdhc-card would work on it, went and bought it. It worked with the usb mass storage connected (ziio connected to pc) but today when I tried to use just the ziio, I cannot find the card from explorer. Super annoying.

I started playing with it and all I get is the "preparing sd card" and right after that "safe to remove SD card" When I connect the Ziio to pc via usb, turn on and off the usb storage a few times and remove and insert the microsd-card, at some point it gets the hang of it and I can see the card on my pc in addition to the usual Ziio mass storage. After this ziio finds it as well, even without usb (shows up in ziio explorer) as a blue icon, as long as I don't turn it off completely. Sleep mode is ok, but turning the damn thing off resets something.

I'll try to report this to creative and see if they just say "the card is not compatible" or something else useless. I'd hate to have to buy ANOTHER card just because this does not work, even if they say that Transcend 32G cards should..

i have the same problem in fact i was thinking it was the tablet that sucks!! but in fact was that it has a problem reading the 32gb microsd cards i tested with a 8gb with no problem at all now i will test it with a 16gb and hope it works