[MOD] Rooted PDN ROM (7/24, 8/6, 8/20 versions): Market, volume hack built-in

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
(note: keeping the original title, even though there is now a 9/23 update -- too many links to this location so I cannot change it)

NOTE: This is presented "as-is" -- please USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you have any issues with this mod, you should be able to re-flash back to stock to get back to a stable baseline.

What this is:

A full firmware modification for the white Pandigital Novel (all versions, tmk). See the changelogs for details, as these mods have changed heavily with each revision. The main versions WILL wipe all user data, so be aware of that.

----------------------------------------------------

ver1 (7/24 based) altered firmware link: S10_08_01_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: f2ca61787dc97493edba999397f6ba23

ver2 (8/6 based) altered firmware link: S10_08_12_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 7e2e71ca01c7ecd9d5539b56f4504336

ver3 (8/20 based) altered firmware link: S10_08_27_K3_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: ec2d1481a1c462e909cdd748f829e510

ver4 (9/23 based) altered firmware link: SD_PDN_4_01_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: b2fffeb029e256b09a4f5c2bd4b7bd9a

ver4 supplement (run after ver4, non-destructive): SD_PDN_SUPP10_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 147f58ffb54f88cd751a656da8ccf7e8

(supplement is a 4.00 / 4.01 add-on that fixes root on 4.00 and also fixes the rotation issues with both 4.00/4.01)

-----------------------------------------

ver1 (7/24 based) changelog: Adds the volume hack and the Google Experience Alpha. Just choose which home screen to use after the reboot, and you are in.

ver2 (8/6 based) changelog: Additionally, I added the DVM update, the root hack as as well as Clockworx's "non-ugly" Market hack. I've heard that the ZIP file name syntax doesn't work. I would suggest renaming it to "S10_08_06_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip" before putting it on your SD card

ver3 (8/20 based) changelog: I added the root hack, a stripped down GE (using the 2.1 alpha as my guide), the "non-ugly" market hack, "PSMode=CAM" for Wireless, and the notification bar hack. The DVM update is being removed as some of you didn't care for it in the last mod. To get past the initial Google screen after the first reboot: tap all four black corners clockwise (starting with the upper left) and that will bypass the setup screen. It should not reappear. Also, a video I found on this, in case you have any problems: Android Quick Tip: How to Bypass Setup Wizard

ver4 (9/23 based) changelog: Has full GE with non-ugly hack and Vending.apk October 2010 update, root hack, PSMode=CAM for wireless, notification bar, gottahavit soft buttons, 270 rotation (kind of works, crashes on some homescreens), Ubuntu font used as main font, a winhelp2002 hosts file to reduce adware, and a Cruz launcher with ability to add more icons to the homescreen. After the firmware install / first reboot, choose "home" as your homescreen, and choose it as the default if you don't want to choose after each reboot. The PDN launcher is still there and should still be accessible by accessing a PDN app in the pulldown menu.

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
If you have a v1 board, which I am positive that I have even though the "new" serial # ID method "claims" that mine is the "B" v2 board, yet I still have the MAX present in dmesg, anyways...

wasted several hours flashing in various combos and 3 or 4 various new google IDs, dalvik cache purges, OEM fw flashing, re-flashing to v.4 of this release ALL of which ended up with an install in which attempting to install anything from the market resulted in an instantaneous failure to install on my WPDN...

rolling back to the ver.3 version plus the soft button hack as that HAD been working great for me

It's at times like these that I really miss having clockwork mod like we had on the GT...

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Both mine had version 1, and you know when I got the second one from Kohl's didn't have the shutter. Wasn't until I had flash ROM 9/23 on it and played the motion.mp4 video and wa-la same issue. I also had back-light bleeding around the edges just like you had reported.

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
With ver.3 back + soft button hack on my WPDN, everything is back to "normal". Market is installing again.

[EDIT]
As a precaution when I rolled back to ver.3 the final time, I installed OEM 8/20 fw first and THEN roebeet's ver.3. I had previously attempted rolling straight back from ver.4 to ver.3, however it appeared that some detritus from ver.4 may have survived the ver.3 flashing which led to further experimental flashing on my part, i.e. flash OEM 9/23 fw, then ver.4 + supplement, etc. before finally giving up to 8/20 OEM to ver.3 + softbutton hack...
[/EDIT]

Perhaps if I have time at some later date I will re-attempt ver.4 and mess around with the ugly market fix to see if I can get something going. Logs from logcat weren't helpful at all either as I couldn't see anything obviously wrong...

This is just meant as a public service set of comments, as in if things w/ver.4 aren't quite working for you, it's most likely because it's a half-baked release and still needs some work.

As to hw revision, I can't help but wonder if someone bought a 2nd WPDN from that BBB swapped a v1, maybe peeled off the serial # sticker and put it on the one returned in the box as that # matched the one on the box, and I seem to recall reading that early v1s lacked the sticker on the device. Also as I originally mentioned elsewhere it seemed that my box had been opened before as the "bottom" tape closure was open already which I didn't notice until I had gotten home.

Backlight bleed: on mine(and tipstir's apparently) I can see a triangularish area of brighter light starting to just to the right of the Pandigital logo(orientation: portrait, Pandigital at top), most evident at "lower" backlight brightness settings. Bad for dark conditions when you'd want as low as possible backlight as I found it makes the areas just to either side of the bleed affected area too dim. Looks from that like they just used a LED backlight too given the bleed pattern. (anyways stopping now as I'm going way offtrack.)

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Bad panels need to be returned to the store. I can't stand to see back-light bleed. Brightness and contrast always get messed up also.

DeathBoT

Nov 30, 2010
Does the V.4 with the full GE and non Ugly hack still have the battery drain when in standby mode problem?

...also astro does not seem to install.

Last edited:

gjbnh

Dec 10, 2010
Love your mods. My only complaint is that the marketplace add doesn't work for me. I keep getting a "server error" when I try to start it. Also I'm wondering if your gonna mod the latest OEM update.

Jaysn

Dec 22, 2010
Hi all
I bought my family two white PDNs for the holidays, and am trying to root them. I've downloaded the v4 file in this thread, placed it in the root of my SD card, and when I hold power & volume up I get to the triangle! screen and it loops there until I hit the reset button. I've tried renaming the v4 file to "S10_08_06_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip" as was suggested in V2. Am I missing something I need to do beforehand? I've been rooting android devices since the G1, but this has me stumped for some reason.

Edit: After a few more google searches I realized the update needed to be on the internal SD card, not the external one. Flashing now! :D

Last edited:

fuzzmello

Dec 22, 2010
Hi all
I bought my family two white PDNs for the holidays, and am trying to root them. I've downloaded the v4 file in this thread, placed it in the root of my SD card, and when I hold power & volume up I get to the triangle! screen and it loops there until I hit the reset button. I've tried renaming the v4 file to "S10_08_06_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip" as was suggested in V2. Am I missing something I need to do beforehand? I've been rooting android devices since the G1, but this has me stumped for some reason.

You might try removing the internal sd. Pandigital » Pandigital Novel Android Open Platform kit. (White version) This prevents it from taking command and also saves the restore info in case you want to go back to stock.

Jaysn

Dec 22, 2010
I got it installed by placing the update on the internal SD instead of the external. Now however I'm having issues with the market; I get the server error has occurred message reported in other threads. Is there a fix for that I'm missing? Thanks all!

MisterEd

Dec 26, 2010
tipstir,
Just picked up the White 7" today. Want to mod. Is the ver4 (9/23 based) altered firmware a complete s/w including your mods or just updates to the original 9/23 ver? I assume it's the first case? Pls confirm.

Also, if I have problems, will the "vanilla" 9/23 firmwasre flash restore the unit to original state?

Thx

Last edited:

docnas

Dec 1, 2010
A quick question regarding video playback i got a brand spanking new White novel today from BBB and unfortunatly i seem to have v1 ( ie with the video stutter on any firmware after 7/24) my question is simple will the newest version of ur rom also show the same stuttering for me?

termn8er

Jan 5, 2011
Hi all. I am new to Pandigital, just picked it up on sale at Kohls as I heard it was "rootable". I have V1, so I used V3 for the update. When it rebotted it says " Welcome to slatedroid-pdn Touch the android to begin" I do touch it and it lights up, but nothing happens. I can hit change lanquage and that works fine, I just can't get past the initial screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

socalchyd

Jan 4, 2011
Love your mods. My only complaint is that the marketplace add doesn't work for me. I keep getting a "server error" when I try to start it. Also I'm wondering if your gonna mod the latest OEM update.

Same problem here marketplace just gives a server error, any advise?