Motorola Xoom / Motorola Xoom Forum

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
Felt like we needed to get something created up here for the Motorola Xoom -- I think it's going to be a pretty big hit. What do you guys think?

Excited to see what they mean by 'upgradeable' to 4G as well.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I think you can go into verizon and get hardware installed into the machine. I think this way, people at least get to play with the machine first instead of waiting another few months before everything is ready.

Alternatively if you can wait, then just get the 4G LTE version when it comes out!

mandroid

Sep 9, 2010
I don't know if the Xoom will be an IPad killer but I think it will jump to the front of the line in Android Tablet market and be the death of the Dell Streak..

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
Nothing will be an iPad killer -- the best we can hope for is a great competitor that's open, equivalent hardware/speed and cheaper. That would put a huge dent in sales, but wouldn't kill it.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
The brilliance of apple and the ipad is simplicity and marketing. People like us who look at forums and follow CES aren't people who are jumping at the chance to buy ipad's...yes some of us do have them, but that was because there were no great tablets out there. The XOOM in my honest opinion is a great tablet. However, because of simplicity and marketing, NOTHING will ever be an ipad killer...or iphone killer. The same reason why Coke-a-cola don't need to do anything special for people to keep buying its products.

On other news, looks like XOOM is coming out in Feb

sapix_

Jan 4, 2011
This is the best android tablet EVER released so far (and I have to emphasized SO FAR) on hardware and software. My big concern with this will be the partnership with Verizon. I DO NOT want a tablet with a data plan!! I just want one with WI-FI. I can teether with my phone's data plan so I won't be paying verizon twice for my service and I won't pay the PLUS price for the 3G or 4G stuff. I am NOT interested on that and that's the reason I did not jump on the Samsung.

If they offer one Wi-Fi only @ $300-$400 price range, I am sold...........otherwise, the ICRAP will still be better OR I will wait for some CLONES to come across.....the hardware and software is already there, making a generic one with what I need it won't take more than 6 months.Thoughts? :cool:

P.

gulmiguel

Jan 6, 2011
I DO NOT want a tablet with a data plan!! I just want one with WI-FI. I can teether with my phone's data plan so I won't be paying verizon twice for my service and I won't pay the PLUS price for the 3G or 4G stuff. I am NOT interested on that and that's the reason I did not jump on the Samsung.

If they offer one Wi-Fi only @ $300-$400 price range, I am sold.

I don't think that I could have expressed this any better. It took me a while, but I learned to 'root' my DX and from time to time, I let it provide internet capability to my laptop (i.e. when I'm away from my wifi network at home). I'm so excited about the XOOM. I never even thought about being a tablet owner until I started seeing all the specs and info on the XOOM. I'm losing my mind waiting for confirmed info on when they'll be available. Hell, I might even pay a pre-order price if the options are correct (like no contract because I already have one unlimited data plan, my wife will literally kill me if I even THINK about getting another plan).

bamfsig45

Aug 24, 2010
Here is my delima, I have an iPad now, bought it on Dec 26th with some Xmas money I received. I am a premier rewards zone member at best buy where I bought it. That gives me 45 days to return it, about Feb 8th. I'm seriously considering returning it but like what's been said above I don't want a contract for the tablet.

The iPad and IMO what makes it great right now are the amount of apps that are available for it. what can we expect as far as apps for these android tablets on launch? That's another reservation of mine.

I have a Droid X, had a Droid 1 before that ( my son has it now) wife has a Droid 2 and daughter has a my touch 3G with t mobile. so we are an Android family, oh and my wife has an iPad too. I like the iPad don't get me wrong but this Xoom is looking pretty sweet.

Just having some decision problems but plan on watching this tablet closely over the next month. Hopefully we'll find out price and contract info before feb 8th haha.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
if rumors of feb 14 are true then you might be in luck, but if end of fe b you might not be. Personally I think if you have something you like and our does what you want then it should be a worry. My desire does what I want and I don't need to change to another new phone from ces

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum App

FoxForceFive

Sep 9, 2010
There's no way I'm buying it with a contract.

I'm assuming there will be a wifi only option, it'd be daft not to. If not surely LG's offering will come contract free?

Lets face it, everyone has a mobile phone, & as tethering is only about £5 a month for 1gb getting a tablet with a data plan would just be throwing money away, just tether instead!

Any news on a UK release date yet? If the US is Feb I'm hoping (perhaps optimistically) for March.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Specs say 3G...It would be a selling point by saying there is a wifi model and they didn't do that at CES so I assume there is no wifi only model.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Sounds like a very nice tablet, but it needs to be in the $300 - $400 price range. With the economy being absolutely horrible in the U.S, I can't imagine it being higher. The iPad targets people who have the money to be able to purchase one. They have a nice, wealthy niche. This should not, and cannot be Android's niche. If so, it will loose...

$350 with no contract, awesome... $400 with a contract... HORRIBLE. I don't want to spend $400 then an additional $500.00 on data. By the time your done you will have invested $900 into a tablet.

xandor

Aug 25, 2010
I'm looking forward to getting this tablet -- if just the wireless only version, but if they price the 3g/4g well, I might go for that too.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Sounds like a very nice tablet, but it needs to be in the $300 - $400 price range. With the economy being absolutely horrible in the U.S, I can't imagine it being higher. The iPad targets people who have the money to be able to purchase one. They have a nice, wealthy niche. This should not, and cannot be Android's niche. If so, it will loose...

$350 with no contract, awesome... $400 with a contract... HORRIBLE. I don't want to spend $400 then an additional $500.00 on data. By the time your done you will have invested $900 into a tablet.

I think you are way off base. They cannot sell the thing for $350...did you know that the bulk cost of the tablet is 1) the screen 2) the battery. This is a 10" version, of course the price is going to be higher.

Luckily tho, it seems there is a wifi-only version (engadget) so I reckon the might cost $500 with the 3g one costing around 600-700 maybe 500 with contract.