Moving Apps to SD Card

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Yea never heard of a tablet that did not work like how the coby does... whats the complaining about?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
All tablets that have an internal microSD behave the same way... Check Vizio, for instance. I don't think it's a "bug" or something like this. If you add an external card, then you have extra space to add content. It doesn't mean it will expand the internal capacity. Complaining about this to the manufacturer makes no sense IMHO...

Nicely put, it's a shame the manufacturers don't explain it like that to the new folks looking for their first tablet. When they say the memory is "expandable" to 32G or whatever, they imply it's like expanding your C: drive and not merely adding an additional drive.

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011
All tablets that have an internal microSD behave the same way... Check Vizio, for instance. I don't think it's a "bug" or something like this. If you add an external card, then you have extra space to add content. It doesn't mean it will expand the internal capacity. Complaining about this to the manufacturer makes no sense IMHO...

Well, I don't think it's the same thing. I'm not expecting the expand the internal memory capacity. I was expecting to be able to put "apps" on my sd card and run them from it. I mean, these are android devices and apps are what makes them functional. Limiting the number of apps (and thus the functionality) was not something I was aware of going in. I don't believe it's the same as adding an external hard drive to a computer. It's the same as adding an external hard drive to a computer that you can't put software on.

Maybe I am/was just an ignorant noob, but I would have gotten a different tablet, or none at all, had I known.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Complain to Google, it's actually a problem with Android OS. Cell phones have the system in NAND, so when you use a microSD card it's always added memory (external). Before Froyo IIRIC, you couldn't even move any apps, you have only the internal memory for them. With Froyo it added the feature called app2sd when the app must add support to be moved itself to the SD card. As I said, it's possible to use an external card to store app and other stuff, but it needs some hacking...

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Well, I don't think it's the same thing. I'm not expecting the expand the internal memory capacity. I was expecting to be able to put "apps" on my sd card and run them from it. I mean, these are android devices and apps are what makes them functional. Limiting the number of apps (and thus the functionality) was not something I was aware of going in. I don't believe it's the same as adding an external hard drive to a computer. It's the same as adding an external hard drive to a computer that you can't put software on.

Maybe I am/was just an ignorant noob, but I would have gotten a different tablet, or none at all, had I known.

Please tell me how would ever fill up 32 gigs of just apps let alone 4 gigs?

Any app over around 50mb already (such as every single game) does not store all its information within an apk file. It downloads files in a separate folder altogether.

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011
Please tell me how would ever fill up 32 gigs of just apps let alone 4 gigs?

Any app over around 50mb already (such as every single game) does not store all its information within an apk file. It downloads files in a separate folder altogether.

Well for one, you only get 2 gigs, not 4, and on mine it's like 1.8. Flash is big, I've got a couple big games and a word processor that's big. Two browsers. I'm done.

hack_1018

Jan 27, 2012
Hi to all after reading this forum i search for the APPs for moving our application to the EXTSD. I found this free program from GETJAR... i know its kind the late to reply into this thread... but i also hope that i can hep to some newbie out there.

DroidSail Super App2SD (ROOT)

Just click Thanks if this apps help you... god bless to all.

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
Hi to all after reading this forum i search for the APPs for moving our application to the EXTSD. I found this free program from GETJAR... i know its kind the late to reply into this thread... but i also hope that i can hep to some newbie out there.

DroidSail Super App2SD (ROOT)

Just click Thanks if this apps help you... god bless to all.

It looks like it still uses what the device determines is /sdcard, like app2sd. Is there some setting that specifically says /extsd?

hack_1018

Jan 27, 2012
Hi it doesnt exactly says extsd but when i test and monitor the spaces between sd and my extsd. The space i transfer to card was remove from my internal sd. How can i post a screenshot using this droid??

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
You don;t need to do a screen shot, I am going to get it, I am sick of telling people how to get link2sd to work, LOL.

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
I just installed it. All it does is move the files to the /sdcard, which is on the nand. There is no setting to go to /extsd. To test I moved GTA III, removed my SD card and ran it. It ran just fine even. So it is moving from the system to the user space on the nand, not to the external miscrosd. for it' selection you have auto, internal (system on nand), and sdcard (users space on nand). Nice simple app to use though.

hack_1018

Jan 27, 2012
Ah oks thanks for the info. so your using the link2sd hehehe... i will try that... hope that will work to put all the files to extsd..

anyway do you know how to get a screen shot to our tab? i just want to post may themes to one of the forum in this site.. tnx in advanced. oopps OT