Moving apps to SD

publisher49

Jan 21, 2012
I'm running ICS on Xoom and trying to move apps to external SD. What is an easy way to do that? The Xoom settings have that function grayed out. An app such h as movetoSD takes me to the native app settings where this function is unavailable. Maybe someone else can help. Thanks.
Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Unless something has changed between Honeycomb and ICS it isn't possible to move or install apps to the external SD.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
So using a app like Android Assistant or App2SD will not move Apps from the device to the SD card on the Xoom?
Strange that Motrola would put such a restriction on the device, not being able to move Apps or portions of Apps off the SSD to a MicroSD could cause the SSD to fill up quickly if the user installs a lot of Apps.
If this is the case with the Xoom. I will not be buying or recommending one.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Actually this is a limitation of Android Honeycomb and apparently ICS as well. Same thing is true on my Transformer or any device running these versions.

Sent from a Gibson using Tapatalk - heavy metal edition

publisher49

Jan 21, 2012
Well thanks for the info. So all you can do with the external SD is maybe keep some music or videos or other personal data on it. Can it be mapped so that the existing apps use that data? If so then how? If not then it is pretty much useless. If it is useless then why is it a feature? Why even have it? Motor used it as a selling point. Do you think it's use would be expanded in a future OS update?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think its more likely that internal storage will keep increasing to the point it makes app storage on external media somewhat pointless. This is the thinking by manufacturers of the tablets currently as well, with devices like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 not having any expansion on the tablet. Probably just following the iPad model. For me, I do use the microSD on my Transformer for both media and sometimes data transfer for very large files. With some games having in excess of a gig of data files I'm definately not real comfortable with the 16gig internal storage of my current Transformer.

ohio66

Jan 10, 2012
I have all my movies,audio and MP3 book files as well as videos on /mnt/external1 and can play all using current apps like music,gallery etc.

Whilst this is not ideal it does mean that you can put some of the big memory users on the SD card, not tying up the main memory.

Please note I do not play massive games as this is not what I bought the Xoom wifi for.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Actually this is a limitation of Android Honeycomb and apparently ICS as well. Same thing is true on my Transformer or any device running these versions.

Well that just plain sucks, I wonder if they are working to correct this, particularly with ICS. It is being installed on many small tablets with limited SSD space, being able to move as much data off the tablet to the MSD will be important to everyone and or these new tablets are going to be very limited in how many apps a person can install on them.

publisher49

Jan 21, 2012
I have all my movies,audio and MP3 book files as well as videos on /mnt/external1 and can play all using current apps like music,gallery etc.

Whilst this is not ideal it does mean that you can put some of the big memory users on the SD card, not tying up the main memory.

Please note I do not play massive games as this is not what I bought the Xoom wifi for.

That seems to be the extent for which you can use the external SD. Also, to store your photos and videos and assorted documents that you want to carry with you. Not a huge advantage since you can use free could storage with a number of suppliers, if you don't mind connecting to the cloud when you need them.