Moving icons

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
On the main screen, righ out of the box, there's icons like Multimedia, Social, egames, Reading...
When I download items, their icons join the cluttered main page
I wish to move the new utilities, apps and games icons into their respective cubby holes, so that the
main screen retains its original appearance, and so that my games are all in the games section

How is this achieved?

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Press and hold the icon you want to move. Drag it to garbage pail which will appear. Drop it there. It with be on your drawer. Or drag to screen you want.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
I did not see a garbage pail, and when I try to drop it into a different section, it does not go...

I'm baffled.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
How about a trash can (top right) that says REMOVE next to it?

You need to long press on an icon for about 1-2 seconds and it becomes movable too.

If you want to keep icons from cluttering up your home screens, open the Market. Tap the menu button (4 lines on it) and go to Settings. There is an option to automatically add shortcuts to the home screens. Untick this box.

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
ok, I finally see the trashcan.
The sticker was covering it
(Decorative thing boasting what the tablet has---wife didnt want it removed)
I see a Market Icon, but not the four lines

I did find Apps, went to settings, checked evrywhere, did not see anything about
an option to automatically add shortcuts to the home screens.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
ok, I finally see the trashcan.
The sticker was covering it
(Decorative thing boasting what the tablet has---wife didnt want it removed)
I see a Market Icon, but not the four lines

I did find Apps, went to settings, checked evrywhere, did not see anything about
an option to automatically add shortcuts to the home screens.

Open the market app. Once you have the market open, tap the menu button. I think it will be in the top right hand corner. Depending on how your version of android is skinned it may be slightly different.

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
I tap the market app and immediately am connected to the internet
If that's what u mean, I will try it.
I'm using Acer Iconia A500, honeycomb 3
Not sure what else would help
New to tablets, and hoping this doesn't sound lame

J

jimbo7630

trahcwolf, we all sound lame until we know our way around - I'm still feeling my way!

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
Well I was feelin my way around in the dark, bumped into a few walls, stumbled over the cat, knocked over a lamp, which crashed
onto the sleeping dog's head, who bit me and chased me out the front door. The lock mechanism automatically engaged, so when the alarm woke the wife, she looked out the window and asked why I was sleeping on the front sidewalk naked.

J

jimbo7630

Well I was feelin my way around in the dark, bumped into a few walls, stumbled over the cat, knocked over a lamp, which crashed
onto the sleeping dog's head, who bit me and chased me out the front door. The lock mechanism automatically engaged, so when the alarm woke the wife, she looked out the window and asked why I was sleeping on the front sidewalk naked.

Oh my lord, best laugh I've had since the dog urinated on live wires!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Open the app called "Market" on your Tablet.

(This was done on my Honeycomb 3.2.1 tablet, yours may look different depending on what version of Android you are running)

Tap the menu icon in the top right hand corner and you should see this:
Jxl79.jpg

Tap on the Setting button and get into the settings:
u7trn.jpg

Untick the box next to the Auto-Add Widgets to home screen.

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
Found the market and settings, see nothing about adding shortcuts anywhere
Checked several times
(glad to make ya laugh)

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
Presently updating the version, and as soon as it happens, I will attempt following your excellent walkthrough.
Hopefully I get past all the traps and reach the golden ring at the end with a high score.

trahcwolf

Jan 11, 2012
Version 3.2 (.1?) loaded.
Opened Market
Tapped Menu, and saw
Accounts, Clear Search History, Purchase History, App Content Filter, Help, Contact Us
No Settings showed