My thoughts on the WPDN 7"

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
Some random thoughts on the device.

Out of the box, the thing was just ok :) The UI was nice and all, but I can't stand a snail of a device. It's much more responsive after adding a custom firmware. (It's still not lightning fast - but it is definitely much better)

The aspect ratio of the device does limit it's ability to play many games (don't get me wrong, there are plenty of games that work great still, but some - including one I've developed myself, do not run on the device). Of course, sticking to a 16:9 aspect ratio is something xaueious has harped on in plenty of other places in this forum as well, so this is nothing new coming from me.

I'm still not a huge fan of a resistive screen - and I was tempted to "go cheap" on one of the other $150-200 resistive tablets until the capacitive ones had everything I was looking for and came down in price. But... I'm really glad the Kohl's deal showed up instead because at $200 I would have just saved my money for a capacitive model. I'm getting much better at it on the WPDN, but it's hard to compete with typing on a capacitive screen.

This thing is great for web, youtube, music, and much more. It feels solid in your hands and seems to be of good build quality. But if you are looking for something that is primarily a gaming device, it may not be not for you. Regardless, if you can get in on the Kohl's deal, you can't go wrong at 59.99. I'd buy another if I stumbled across one at that price.

Seems to work great as an e-reader too... I'll probably start using it for night-time stories for the kids, though it's still hard to beat an e-ink display like the kindle.... :)

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
the thing is that this machine was made to be a reader, with limited functionality.
the screen ratio is pretty standard for book readers.
i have not installed any games on it, as the hardware was not made for games, measly ram, screen size, the touchscreen all ruin the joy of playing games.
that said, its a nice book reader for 64$

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
You say measly ram, except for that quite a lot of Tablets including the iPad also run 256MB of RAM. This is enough RAM to play quite a lot of games. I have downloaded over 30 games to my PDN, and just about every single one runs quite well. For a resisitive screen, it's one of the better ones on the market.

If someone is looking for a true gaming tablet, obviously this isn't what they are looking for. They are looking for a $400+ tablet, not $199.99 retail or $59.99 and Kohl's.

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
Did you run across any decent tower defense games that work?

Sent from my wpdn using Android Tablet Forum App

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
i still think 256MB ram is low for this android TABLET. it may then be the software isnt using the hardware to its best.
the Ipad definitely works much smoother then this, but then who told me root it and make it a TABLET. the original PDN reader firmware works pretty nice as a reader with additional things to see photos and listen to music. people change the firmware, then complain about lack of hardware.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
indiandevil: Hmm... I think the original stock firmware is clunky and very slow. It loads up a ton of apps at start up, and bogs the whole device down. Basic browser, basic email, basic reading, basic music.. is about all the stock can do. When you flash to a better firmware you are able to install Advanced Task Killer and immediately kill those apps that would of had slowed the tablet down. From my experience once I do this, it's a very quick tablet with 256MB of RAM. This tablet isn't made for 512MB, and I don't think it would really make it that much quicker. It utilizes the 256MB RAM just nicely. This isn't a higher-end tablet. It won't be playing HD movies, or streaming in HD content. It's a decent Android 2.0 tablet with 256MB RAM.

Quite a lot of people agree, including xaueious, that 256MB RAM is just fine with these Android 2.0 devices. Your also limited by the software. We all know the higher the version is, the faster the software is.

Anyways, just opinions ;)

Last edited: