Mysterious fast battery drain

danielg5

May 3, 2011
Hi all,

I have had my a500 since late April. I generally have been able to get around 8 hours of use out of it, but if left on standby mode, the battery can last for 2-3 days without needing a recharge. This morning, though, The battery was completely dead after having used it for less than 30 minutes yesterday morning. At that point the battery had better than 90% left on it. I hadn't touched it since then until this morning.

It is rooted, and I use a program called Bloat Freezer to freeze unwanted system programs that seem to drain the battery. Bloat Freezer appears to indicate that a number of programs are running even though the "Running Services" in Settings/Applications doesn't show that they are running.

The Battery usage showed that the main user of the battery was Android OS, then "Tablet Idle", then Display. It doesn't show any applications.

Has anybody experienced this? Any thought on running applications that don't show in the settings menu or that are running in the background?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
What unwanted system programs could be running to drain the battery? I would think the only things actually running as a background task are those you want to run....like music or GPS or something like that. System apps that do nothing might sit in memory, but that would be so you can get to quicker.

The notion of freezing background apps on HC to save battery akes us right back to iPad land....

danielg5

May 3, 2011
The debate is still ongoing, I am sure, but the primary app that appears to use some battery is the "Mobile Network Signal", which is system app com.android.phone and shows up as "Cell Standby" in the battery use section of the settings menu. When frozen, the battery use for mobile data or mobile network, goes away. So, I don't know how much battery this app actually used, but the battery use meter indicated that it was a pretty significant percentage of the total battery usage when it wasn't frozen. So, I froze it. Hard to tell how much it changed the real battery drain. There have been many long discussions and threads on this forum, though, about freezing system apps in order to save battery life.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I no longer see the "cell standby" in the battery use section of the setting menu in HC3.1. So, perhaps there is good news coming for you.