navigation app

tentcamper1

Jan 26, 2012
I want to be able to use the tablet as a GPS device. I hit the navigation app and the following message comes up.
"the application maps has stopped unexpectedly. please try again"
I have the ACER Iconia A500.
am I in the right app to do this?

thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Navigation and Places and Maps are just different interfaces to Google Maps.

Crashes on Maps happen fairly frequently these days. Its bugs in the app itself, something to do with its cache management. It also often crashes if you have no wifi coverage.

If you go into settings / applications/ all / scroll down to maps and tap it, then clear data, and clear cache, it will usually fix itself. Go to the market and make sure you have the current version of Maps installed. https://market.android.com/details?...wOSwiY29tLmdvb2dsZS5hbmRyb2lkLmFwcHMubWFwcyJd

If ALL you want is GPS coordinates, (longitude / latitude) you can use something like "Just GPS" or "GPS Status", both free in the market.

If you want to use the Tablet as a Navigation device (turn by turn spoken directions, etc) you have to start your navigation session (starting from Maps or the Navigation app) BEFORE you leave WIFI coverage, because the tablet has to download maps for the entire route before you leave WIFI.

As such, you really can't use this device to START navigation once you are on route. It does not have 3G, so it can't download data on the fly unless you have wifi coverage.

If you want to use it in remote places, independent of wifi coverage, there are mapping and navigation apps in the market that use pre-installed maps. These aren't free. Sygic is one of the best. https://market.android.com/details?...lt#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zeWdpYy5hdXJhIl0. USA maps for Sygic cost about 20 bucks. Sygic | Sygic GPS Navigation for Android

If you just want to see your current location on the map, or explore far away places, then Google Maps is the app you want.

tentcamper1

Jan 26, 2012
what I would like to be able to do is access the maps during travel. I have a GPS that will provide me with the turn by turn, etc.. I would like to be able to see the maps. looking at MS Streets and Trips with plug in GPS for the laptop this does not require internet so I can look at the maps on the laptop and the GPS knows where I am, would prefer to have the tablet in the truck with the same type of application. told my wife what i wanted and she thought the tablet had a feature like that. I like to be able to plan the route before we leave - most places we go wifi is unavailable - air cards usually don't work in these areas.

Streets & Trips

Last edited: