NC News: Nook Color software update 1.0.1

dhoff21

Dec 22, 2010
rico2001,

Good news that it can be re-rooted. I had mine on wifi and looked over and saw the install icon going and was not too thrilled. Would it be possible for you to put a bit more detail as to how to accomplish the steps you listed above, or links to that info, if possible. I know just enough to be dangerous with this whole rooting thing.

Thank you.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Re-rooting your NC from auto update of 1.0.1.

If your rooted NC automatically updated itself to software version 1.0.1., you lost root. Here is what you need to do to re-root your NC.

-Hopefully by now you have backed up your apps with ASTRO. If not, ASTRO has probably stopped working and you are too late
-You will now need to reset your NC back to factory.
-Use the tutorial here to help: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs
-Turn your NC on and hold power button to turn it back off before it boots. Repeat this 8 times, then you will boot into factory reset flash back to software version 1.0.0.
-Then Erase and de-register your NC (not sure if this is nesseccary but I e&d'ed my NC just to be thorough)
-Once complete you will have a NC, exactly how it came out of the box and it will ask you to register your NC (I registered mine at this point).

Now that you are un-rooted, you need to update to 1.0.1
-Plug you NC up your your pc.
-Unlock screen, so NC goes into usb mode
-Download update 1.0.1 http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nookcolor/v1.0.1/Sideload_update.zip
-Copy update zip to root directory (see pic)

Untitled11.png

-Turn off the NC (power off)
-Turn it on
-Press the power button for a moment to cause the NC to go to sleep.
-Wait. The system will install the new update.
-Now you have an un-rooted NC running software 1.0.1

Now to re-root
-Prepare your spare sd card for rooting
-Right click on winimage.exe and run as administrator (if not, your SD card will not be recognized).
Untitled1.png

-Go to Disk and select your sd card (Use removable disk)
Untitled2.png

-Then select "Restore virtual hard disk..."
Untitled3.png

-Again select your sd card
Untitled4.png

-A window will pop up asking for the location of nooter02 image (manual method), use auto nooter image if you are using the auto method.
-Use pull down to see all files.
Untitled5.png

-Select image file
Untitled7.png

-Winimage will ask you if you want to create this image, press yes.
Untitled8.png

Untitled9.png

-Turn off NC.
-Insert your newly created sd card (image)
-Plug the usb cable up to your NC and PC
-Screen will remain black
-Light on the usb cable will flicker for a minute or so.
-Flash should be complete.
-Unplug your usb cable.
-Remove the sd card.
-Hold the power button for 15 seconds.
-Press power button again for ~3 seconds to re-power the NC.
-Re-insert your normal sd card, one you were using for storage.

Finished, you now have a rooted NC running software version 1.0.1.

reference: http://www.nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

-Next post: how to restore your backed up apps.

Last edited:

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
I saw somewhere there is a utility to set the boot count so you don't have to actually restart it 8 times - only once. I'll post the link when I find it.

Edit. Here is the link - but looks like it requires root, doh! So, not useful if you got auto-updated, but maybe good for something:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=879922

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Restoring apps from backup

Here is how you restore your apps after update and re-rooting using ASTRO.

-Use adb to install ASTRO apk.
-Insert your sd card with your backed up apks.
-Unplug usb cable and unlock home screen.
-Go to "Extras" and you should see ASTRO installed to your NC.
4c3ffa02.png

-Open ASTRO.
-Press setting button to pull up ASTRO menu.
-Press Tools button.
57ae4938.png

-Press Application Manager and Backup.
8b0b49cf.png

-You will see only ASTRO is installed.
912e6eda.png

-Press "Backed Up Apps"
-Check all apps you would like to retore (re-install)
-Press install
13da9a2e.png

-After all apps install, reboot
-Then go back into "Extras" to see your restored apps.
-Enjoy.
e9162085.png

dhoff21

Dec 22, 2010
rico, thank you very much for the detailed instructions. got my NC re-rooted and back on track. great heads up about backing up the apps. i did not do that prior to update, but did once i finished re-installing.

any thoughts on possibly preventing future automatic OTA updates. personally, i do not see how what they did is legal. all other OS/devices i own: my pcs, my macbook pro, my EVO, all ask you prior to updating. i guess for some stupid reason bn doesn't want these seen as tablets, only ereaders, but they should not be able to alter my device without my permission. i did purchase the damn thing, it's not a lease.

thanks again for all your help. very valuable info and the screenshots are great.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
any thoughts on possibly preventing future automatic OTA updates. personally, i do not see how what they did is legal. all other OS/devices i own: my pcs, my macbook pro, my EVO, all ask you prior to updating. i guess for some stupid reason bn doesn't want these seen as tablets, only ereaders, but they should not be able to alter my device without my permission. i did purchase the damn thing, it's not a lease
A user at xda has written several batch scripts for Windows users, including disabling OTA updates. I opened autonook.bat, and it looks like he does it by renaming the OTA certificate file:

Code:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /etc/security/otacerts.zip /etc/security/otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES
echo Success
ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 >NUL
Here is the link to the thread if you're interesting in reading up on it:

[SCRIPT] NookColor Auto Config (Windows) 1.0.0 & 1.0.1 - xda-developers

-Matt

dhoff21

Dec 22, 2010
Matt, thanks for the info. Got it updated, guess we just have to wait till the next OTA to see if it really disables it. Gracias.

seankalub

Dec 31, 2010
I need to update my firmware for my NC and am not sure if I should use the same SD card used for rooting to back up my apks with Astro. I'm guessing when I burn the Auto Nooter for the 1.0.1 file the apks will get erased. Can you help?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I need to update my firmware for my NC and am not sure if I should use the same SD card used for rooting to back up my apks with Astro. I'm guessing when I burn the Auto Nooter for the 1.0.1 file the apks will get erased. Can you help?
NOT ONLY will the sdcard be reformatted when you write the autonooter image to it (you should really use win32diskimager), something EVIL will happen! :mad: Your beautiful, huge sdcard will be repartitioned, and only show 39MB on it!!!!! You can reformat in your PC, to no avail. 39MB forever...

Ah, seriously, no worries. There's a simple trick: once you've rooted and you're ready to reformat that sdcard, just put it in the NC (after booting!) and format it that way. All back to normal.

So what I'd do (in fact, I JUST did it!) is make a complete copy of everything on your sdcard before starting the process. Then, after you've reformatted the card in your NC, just connect to your PC and drag everything back over to the sdcard.

Got it? Let me know if anything needs clarification!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Yes you can use the same sd card you used for rooting. You just need to reformat the sd card back to it's original size, see here: NookColor Format and partition your SD card back to a usable state - nookDevs

Backup your ASTRO backup folder off your SD card.

Then when your sd card is back to normal, mount your NC to your pc (with usb cable), copy over your backed up apps, should look like (sd card driver:/backup/apps).

Unmount your NC, boot, open ASTRO, restore apps, see post #20 of this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olor-software-update-1-0-1-a-2.html#post24143

seankalub

Dec 31, 2010
One more question. The Auto Nooter files is different for 1.0.0 vs 1.0.1 (NookColor Rooting - nookDevs). I originally burned the auto nooter for 1.0.0 on my micro sd. I'm assuming that I need to write the other Auto Nooter file before partitioning and backing up on Astro. Question is 1) is that accurate and 2) do I just delete the old file off the sd card and rewrite? Sorry not so much a techy

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
One more question. The Auto Nooter files is different for 1.0.0 vs 1.0.1 (NookColor Rooting - nookDevs). I originally burned the auto nooter for 1.0.0 on my micro sd. I'm assuming that I need to write the other Auto Nooter file before partitioning and backing up on Astro. Question is 1) is that accurate and 2) do I just delete the old file off the sd card and rewrite? Sorry not so much a techy
I might be a bit confused...is the older autonooter on your sdcard right now? If so, then:

(1) put that card in the NC, format it, and then have Astro back up to your sdcard
(2) then (using your PC) write the image for the newer autonooter to your sdcard (which will format it first)
(3) then after you're done with the whole rooting process, reformat the sdcard again in the NC, and
(4) finally copy your backup files back to the sdcard, and have Astro restore!

Remember NOT to write the autonooter file to your sdcard UNTIL you're at a point where it's ok to erase it! See this link for more info about using win32diskimager:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Win32DiskImager

And don't worry about asking questions. That's what the forum is for!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Yes you need to redo (winimage, reformat, the whole nine yards) your sd card with the autonooter image for the 1.0.1 update.

for 1.0.1 Download GabrialDestruir's auto nooter 2.12.25 file 25 Dec 2010