NC right for my needs?

seateebee

Mar 12, 2011
Wasn't looking for a tablet but then saw that the little Craig tablet was going for $80 at my local CVS. Did a little research and it looks like the next step up is the NC. Went to B&N and it looks like a cool little device, esp. with the root options. But.... my main uses will be only two things really; primarily watching video's while using exercise equipment and secondarily general intermet access. As far as video goes I've read a few places where video playback might not be so good on the NC due to no hardware acceleration? So basically my questions are -

1) Once the NC is rooted are the video capabilities good (smooth playback w/ many formats supported)?

2) If rooted any chance of streaming video from network shared devices (smb drives)?

Thanks in advance for any insights....

seateebee

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks you for taking the time to reply. Even a short direct reply will work! Good to hear. Did a lot of searching around and never saw a definite y/n answer to either question. Thanks again!

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
You're welcome and welcome to forums :)

But IMHO, if I were you, I'd have bought 1st gen iPad [as prices have slashed greatly] if my requirements were watching videos. NC has 7", personally I don't like seeing videos on such small screen. Just my personal honest opinion.

seateebee

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks, and thanks again for the info. I'll look into the iPad, had assumed they would be too expensive but maybe not with the new version out. Basically though I was hoping to go cheap. Most of my computing needs are pretty covered with a decent laptop and a netbook. That's what drew me to the super cheap Craig, I could take it to the gym and basically if anything happened to it no big deal, for $80 just buy another one. But I have to admit the NC just looks damn cool so worth the upgrade if it does what I need..... thx again, chris

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I personally love the size of the nook for watching videos,it'exactly the same size of any portable video player. The nook is so light and portable,I think it would be perfect for your needs. Besides,you might end, like most of us, using it for something different than what you planned. You might decide to read a magazine at the gym! Enjoy whatever you will end buying.
Gloria
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

seateebee

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks for the reply Gloria... sounds like you use the Nook for vids, do you have much experience watching non-MP4 videos? Any playback issues? Thanks again for any info....

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
The NC is perfect for watching videos. Personally, if that was my main plan for it, I'd stick with an Autonooter and not install a ROM. The reason for this is that the ROMs all kill the hardware acceleration and playback isn't as nice. I had much better video support when I was just autonootered. Movies were better, and so was Youtube.