Need Help, how to clear a proxy setting? Market does not work

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It is just sad that no one knows how to reset the proxy settings in Android.

Well its easy to get to it with Any Cut, but since you couldn't get to the market there was no point in telling you that.

AnyCut allows you to put a shortcut on the desktop to any setting (They call it an Activity). Proxy Settings is one of the things it knows how to get to.
Normally proxys are associate with wifi routers.

BUT>>>>>
Since PDANet creates their own connector (essentially their own network interface, you can't be sure that they are handling the Proxy the same way. Its sort of a huge unknown, and I almost hesitate to recommend you dick with it, because he who recommends something acquires all blame!.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
You can use AnyCut to reset the proxy settings, but PDANet has to be installed to do so. If you cannot get to the market a quick Google query for "AnyCut apk" will get you the file to side load on your device.

Myssi

Jan 4, 2012
I am having the same problem with my tablet, can you tell me what you ended up doing to fix yours
Thanks!!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I am having the same problem with my tablet, can you tell me what you ended up doing to fix yours
Thanks!!

Read the post immediately above yours. You have to do this with pdanet, which is how you got your proxy screwed up in the first place.

jerrybrake

Dec 28, 2011
Thanks!!

I was able to google anycut.apk, then download it to my computer, connect computer to the Acer A500, and copy the file to the Acer, and install it.

Then, after a reboot and two tries, it let me clear the proxy and port settings. That cured the issue.

After reinstalling PDANet tablet, I was ablr to connect the bluetooth to my Droid X, but was never to get any file transfer or internet service.
Be sure to clear the proxy and port, before deleting PdaNet.

Dec 12, 2011
Okay, so we have the same issue with No Connection, Google Talk doesn't work, and no connection to Gmail.

BUT, we haven't done anything with PDAnet (have no idea what that is) and the long click on the WiFi connection
shows Proxy as None. We've done the Forget network thing to no avail.

Anything else to try? What would happen if we hit the reset? Would he lose all the data he's put on the tab?

Thanks,
Ginny

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Can you surf the net Ginny?

If you can use the browser on the tablet, then it seems unlikely that the problem is a proxy.

If none of the Google login apps work one immediately jumps to the conclusion that there is a problem with the account. Triple check your password. Make sure the google account is not set up for two factor authentication?

Dec 12, 2011
so, i signed in and out of the google account to verify the password. i was able to get gmail to go retreive emails. still no market. this is strange. he did try and tether to an external hard drive....

Also, when on Google.com we get an error message about A Problem with the Security Certificate.
Does this relate?

Last edited: