Need help playing a 720p movie!

SoHaunted

Sep 22, 2011
I just spent the last 2 days getting this amazing quality version of Tron legacy and just transfered it to my mini sd card. Upon playing it in MX player It plays extremely fast and choppy, like 2 minutes a second and no sound. I tried playing it in Act1 Video player with the same results, I REALLY don't want to modify or lower the quality of the file in handbrake as it's already 3 gigs and I don't want the file to get any bigger. The file is in an MP4 container and here is the info on it:

Title : TRON: Legacy
Year : 2010
Genre : Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
Format : MPEG-4 Format
profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 2.73 GiB
Duration : 2h 5mn
Overall bit rate : 3130
Kbps Subtitles : English (Format: srt)
Video ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2682 Kbps
Width : 1280 pixels Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.121
Stream size : 2.34 GiB (86%)
Title : Video
Writing library : x264
Audio ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 445 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 578 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 398 MiB (14%)
Language : English

If anyone can shed light on this I will be in your debt, I heard that upgrading to the 3.2 update will aleviate some of the video drama but there's no way I'm doing that until a root method is achieved.

Last edited:

SoHaunted

Sep 22, 2011
I just downloaded Moboplayer, HW decoding does the same thing although when playing in soft decoding it plays just a smige slower then the normal fps and the sound is pretty messed up, it plays slower than the video and is a bit quiet.

but its so close to perfect fps and it looks sooooo goood lol, oh man I hope I can get this running smooth, any other players you can recommend?

Last edited:

SoHaunted

Sep 22, 2011
Update:

Hate to double post but I played with the settings in MX player and using software decoding along with the fast decode option plays 95% perfect, very minimal stuttering and the audio is flawless. Soooo close, can anyone recommend another video player to try?

D

dvdcatalyst

Update:

Hate to double post but I played with the settings in MX player and using software decoding along with the fast decode option plays 95% perfect, very minimal stuttering and the audio is flawless. Soooo close, can anyone recommend another video player to try?

For best playback results, I would suggest to make sure the file will play properly in hardware mode.

The "cabac=yes" part is what is causing issues with video playback. The Tegra2 doesn't like that too much.

The audio, the 6-channel part is one thing, but variable bitrate is also something that causes complications. You can try Dice player (not free), which supposedly is capable of playing video in hardware and audio in software mode.

The rest of the info from your file looks fine though, but unless you overclock and run the video file in software-playback, your best bet is to convert it again.

SoHaunted

Sep 22, 2011
For best playback results, I would suggest to make sure the file will play properly in hardware mode.

The "cabac=yes" part is what is causing issues with video playback. The Tegra2 doesn't like that too much.

The audio, the 6-channel part is one thing, but variable bitrate is also something that causes complications. You can try Dice player (not free), which supposedly is capable of playing video in hardware and audio in software mode.

The rest of the info from your file looks fine though, but unless you overclock and run the video file in software-playback, your best bet is to convert it again.

MX player now has the ability to play video in HW mode and audio in Software Mode so I'll give it a shot and update my findings. I am also overclocking @ 1.5gh rock solid on the stock 3.1 rom and have it set it to 'performance' using SetCPU while playing 720p videos with no ill effects or excessive heat, constant 32-35 degrees Celsius. Have it set on 'on demand' the rest of the time.

Thanks for clearing up the gibberish that's the videos specs lol, the more I know :).

"Update"

Just tried playing it on MX player with HW video and SW audio,a little smoother than HW all around but still doesn't play as smooth as SW decoding all around on MX. I'll download Dice Player and give it a shot. If it works it's worth the few bucks and if it doesn't, well, at least I have another video player option ;).

Just wondering but what settings in handbrake would I need to use to make the video playable in HW mode without sacrificing too much quality?

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

MX player now has the ability to play video in HW mode and audio in Software Mode so I'll give it a shot and update my findings. I am also overclocking @ 1.5gh rock solid ont he stock 3.1 rom and have it set it to 'performance' using SetCPU while playing 720p videos with no ill effects or excessive heat, constant 35 degrees Celsius.

Thanks for clearing up the gibberish thats the videos specs lol, the more I know :).

You are welcome,

I've been fiddling with some different settings myself this week, so I've seen mediainfo outputs more than enough :)

Anyway, there is a trial of Dice, and while I don't use it, a lot of people swear by it. Supposedly its the only player that actually uses both cores for software playback.

Since you mentioned you are already overclocked, try the stock speeds, or maybe (no idea how easy it is on the Iconica) flash the stock kernel back and see what happens.
I have seen many reports from people who are experiencing playback issues with hardware-supported video files because of an overclock. Its not just the processor cores that are overclocked, but also some other parts that are affected, such as the video acceleration.

SoHaunted

Sep 22, 2011
Thanks so much for your help so far, I'm just a spong soaking up this info right now so please bare with me if I sound a bit noobish lol. I downloaded the trial version of dice player and I'm not sure exactly which setting plays HW video and SW audio, but in player settings I have a choice of stock player, default player and software player, when I change MP4 to default and play the movie it plays absolutely beautifully, I mean 0 hesitation or stutter but my only vice is the sound, it is very noisy at times and causes popping and static.

Hmm, I can try to go back to the stock kernel and see if it helps. If I created a back up via CWM before I installed richardtrips 2.5 kernel will it replace it with the stock 3.1 kernel? Or will I have to find the stock kernel and reflash it? I'll also set speeds to stock and give that a shot.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks so much for your help so far, I'm just a spong soaking up this info right now so please bare with me if I sound a bit noobish lol. I downloaded the trial version of dice player and I'm not sure exactly which setting plays HW video and SW audio, but in player settings I have a choice of stock player, default player and software player, when I change MP4 to default and play the movie it plays absolutely beautifully, I mean 0 hesitation or stutter but my only vice is the sound, it is very noisy at times and causes popping and static.

Hmm, I can try to go back to the stock kernel and see if it helps. If I created a back up via CWM before I installed richardtrips 2.5 kernel will it replace it with the stock 3.1 kernel? Or will I have to find the stock kernel and reflash it? I'll also set speeds to stock and give that a shot.

You are very welcome.

The 6channel sound is the biggest issue in your file. The sound needs to be handled in software mode.

D

dvdcatalyst

Sorry,

As for the flashing and kernels and such, I can't help you. I have a Xoom myself, so that part is quite different.

SoHaunted

Sep 22, 2011
Sorry,

As for the flashing and kernels and such, I can't help you. I have a Xoom myself, so that part is quite different.

After messing with the OC settings and trying 1 ghz set on performance vs. 1.5 set on performance I've come to the conclusion that having the Tab OC to 1.5ghz on performance results in the best playback possible so it isn't the OC affecting anything in terms of playback, if anything it's helping to keep the fps steady.

I guess I'll just have to use handbrake to downgrade the audio, here's to looking forward to 14+ hours of encoding on my crappy pc lol. Thanks again for the help ;).

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Just wondering if your final goal is to watch Tron Legacy on the A500 in good audio/video or using the A500 as a source to watch on bigger screen?

Ken

After messing with the OC settings and trying 1 ghz set on performance vs. 1.5 set on performance I've come to the conclusion that having the Tab OC to 1.5ghz on performance results in the best playback possible so it isn't the OC affecting anything in terms of playback, if anything it's helping to keep the fps steady.

I guess I'll just have to use handbrake to downgrade the audio, here's to looking forward to 14+ hours of encoding on my crappy pc lol. Thanks again for the help ;).