Neice is looking for tablets for her duaughters

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I know what I suggested, and I know what she wants to get them.
I would like to pick the brains of the members here for this.
Looking for a tablet in the 250 or less price range. 8 inch screen or smaller.
Now when I say tablet I am not refering to Android based eReader so the Nook and the Kendal Fire are off the list.
My recomendation is for the Vizio Vtab 1008, it is well withing her price range.

Tablet needst to be Android, wifi only, at least 1 camera and mic, GPS not needed but would be nice. LePan will not due because of the proprietery connections, trust me when I say these people need something that is going to work out of box, having to hunt up cables that might work will not do.
Table also needs microSD slot for expanded memory and all the other normal things, the cheap chinese tablets are also off the list because they always need some kind of rigging to make them usable and 99.9% of them do not come with the Android Market and putting the Amazon Android App store is hit and miss on many of them.
I am looking for a real low cost Android Tablet, She understands that the system specs may be low just like on the Vizio but it will do everything she wants it to do for the kids, so.................... any suggestions?

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi AndroidFF,

I would go with the Vizio.

There are many tablets out there that meets their requirements but the Vizio has a big advantage: You have one :rolleyes:

It is always easier to recommend something you already have tested so you know it in and out and can help them through the learning process.

tw1554

Feb 25, 2012
I did hours of research within thepast month and here's what i uncovered...
in the midrange price (below $300) you'll find the following:
vizio vtab
velocity micro cruz T408
archos 80 G9
pantech element (strings attached..look closely)
acer iconia
the vizio is a great looking screen display and three audio speakers-it self selects the 2 best based on screen orientation. It runs a 2.__ version of android,plus it has a cool built-in remote control package that configures nearly your entire home tv system
vel micro cruz has a great screen display, aspect ratio and HDquality, but only one speaker and the button placement is akward
pantech has 3g/4g built-in, but also has ATT data plan 'strings attached'...plus it's new to the market so not really user tested yet
i've never had good luck with Acer despite its name, so i didn't look too close...which leaves the
Archos...in the8" there are two models, only noticeable being 8 gig vs 16 gig of internal storage. it comes with Android 3.__ honeycomb with super easy firmware updates, has a dual core processor, 512 or more RAM, on board Android Marketplace plus numerous other apps (Amazon buyer page has a terrific specs chart)
I went with the Archos for processor speed, ram, storage, Marketplace, display, superb touh screen sensitivity, ease of use...well you get the point. video is excellent - sound is average quality, camera/video is acceptable but not impressive- but I'm very satisfied with my choice.
each name i mentioned has pros and cons and all met the needs you identified initially.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the replies one and all.
She apparently jumped and bought already, she did no research of her own and bought two Kindle Fires. Once she found out everything these eReaders were lacking she was very disappointed in her purchase.
The KF is a capable eReader but they are not real Android tablets as she was apparently led to believe.
I just hope the kids are happy with them.