New ASUS Transformer user. Got some questions.

Jun 26, 2011
Hello everybody, I'm new to these forums but I feel I'll become a somewhat active member/user.

I just bought my girlfriend an ASUS Transformer. It came in the mail yesterday and we were playing with it all night. Anyway, we got some apps like Angry Birds, Opera, Dolphin, etc.

We had some issues playing .avi's but searched here to find users recommending "xyplayer"....so we got that, and it worked.

Few questions though:

1. The version of Honeycomb on it is 3.0.1. I've read that it should update once at 50% or higher battery life and connected to the internet, but if it doesn't it should within the next few days. Is this true or do I need to contact ASUS?

2. Is XYPlayer the best free app for playing videos like AVI's?

3. We tried to install the Facebook app but got an error saying the device isn't supported or something. Is there another way to load this or is it really not supported?

4. My girlfriend needs excel capabilities for her job. We've checked out Polaris and like what it has to offer but is there something better that you'd recommend?

5. Along with the stock browser and media player, is there one/s you'd recommend that you feel are superior?

6. Lastly, are there other apps you users feel are absolutely essential?

Thanks a lot,

chickeneaterguy

antacidaaron

Jun 30, 2011
You can get the update from the asus site.
A must get app is slashtop remote hd , tunein radio pro, and kindle and nook apps

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

colemanalan99

Jun 7, 2011
Hi there my wife goes onto facebook through the browser and it works fine
But like antacidaaron splashtop HD is a must.My wife uses it all the time and as
long as you on line it means anyrthing you can do on your home computer
you can do on the Transformer

Jun 26, 2011
You can get the update from the asus site.
A must get app is slashtop remote hd , tunein radio pro, and kindle and nook apps

Going to probably do the update stuff today.

The Splashtop app may not be particularly useful for her, but I'm sure I'll use it when I get mine. She uses Pandora which works very well, but I'll recommend her Tunein radio pro as well. Thanks!

And the android tablet forum app ;)

I'll definitely use this but she isn't the type of person to go on forums all of the time, so surely she wont. Thanks!

hi there, i got try on the arcMedia apps to play, it work to some of the video file type.

I'm going to be experimenting with rockplayer and moboplayer later and I'll try out yours as well. Thanks!

Hi there my wife goes onto facebook through the browser and it works fine
But like antacidaaron splashtop HD is a must.My wife uses it all the time and as
long as you on line it means anyrthing you can do on your home computer
you can do on the Transformer

I take it your home computer must be on? Thanks to you as well.

Jul 1, 2011
Hi,

You're right about the facebook issue. I found the same when I got mine just a couple of days ago. forget about the application from the market and you can use your internet instead. you need to make sure that your internet browser setting is changed to desktop otherwise it wont display correctly.

1, open internet browser
2, go to settings
3, choose advanced
4, choose user agent strings and choose desktop.
that will stop facebook thinking your accessing it through a mobile and stop it from crashing.

any problems let me know!

Jun 26, 2011
Hi,

You're right about the facebook issue. I found the same when I got mine just a couple of days ago. forget about the application from the market and you can use your internet instead. you need to make sure that your internet browser setting is changed to desktop otherwise it wont display correctly.

1, open internet browser
2, go to settings
3, choose advanced
4, choose user agent strings and choose desktop.
that will stop facebook thinking your accessing it through a mobile and stop it from crashing.

any problems let me know!

Like I said earlier, it's my girlfriend's. We don't live together, but yeah....I'll try it out when I can. Thanks.