New here and help please with furious 7" tablet

PeteAttryde

Dec 22, 2011
Hi New here an new to android tablets,

I won a Furious 7" tablet. seems to be a generic Chinese clone using an IMAPX200 processor.

From new the volume control in the software (confirmed by disassembling and eliminating the mechanical buttons) permanently drives to full volume this leaves a media volume pop-up on screen all the time and cause the unit to beep repeatedly. Also the unit is registered on my google account as being on China telecom which makes Market pretty useless.

I don't have the option of returning the device, so would like to try re-installing the operating system.

So far I have managed to root the unit and have terminal emulator working.

This allowed me to get the HWVER (0.5.0.6) but I can't find any matching updates or software versions

From device information:-

Model Number :- m799ca V2.2
Android Version :- 2.3.3
Baseband version :- unknown
Kernel Version :- 2.6.35.7-InfoTM neville@neville-desktop #7
Build Number :- m799ca-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111201.143607 test-keys

Hwver 0.5.0.6

I would like a uk compatible operating system either 2.3 or 2.2 but can't seem to find one.

This is the device I have :- Furious 7" 1GHz CPU Android 2.3 Tablet MID ePad Flash 10.1 1080P HDMI 4GB Android Market WiFi Facebook Skype: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Pete.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hi New here an new to android tablets,

I won a Furious 7" tablet. seems to be a generic Chinese clone using an IMAPX200 processor.

From new the volume control in the software (confirmed by disassembling and eliminating the mechanical buttons) permanently drives to full volume this leaves a media volume pop-up on screen all the time and cause the unit to beep repeatedly. Also the unit is registered on my google account as being on China telecom which makes Market pretty useless.

I don't have the option of returning the device, so would like to try re-installing the operating system.

So far I have managed to root the unit and have terminal emulator working.

This allowed me to get the HWVER (0.5.0.6) but I can't find any matching updates or software versions

From device information:-

Model Number :- m799ca V2.2
Android Version :- 2.3.3
Baseband version :- unknown
Kernel Version :- 2.6.35.7-InfoTM neville@neville-desktop #7
Build Number :- m799ca-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111201.143607 test-keys

Hwver 0.5.0.6

I would like a uk compatible operating system either 2.3 or 2.2 but can't seem to find one.

This is the device I have :- Furious 7" 1GHz CPU Android 2.3 Tablet MID ePad Flash 10.1 1080P HDMI 4GB Android Market WiFi Facebook Skype: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Pete.
Welcome! You might want to view the Sylvania Tablets forum as well since most of the issues/tweaks for the 7" tablets have been posted there.

Also, Compu_Guy has being doing a little research on the location issue. In this post copied below - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...t-access-google-apps-market-3.html#post163730

Thanks lorenii. I haven't tried this Market yet, but will give it a shot.

Well, I found where the China Telecom was coming from. This is from the framework.jar file.

View attachment 5004
View attachment 5002

This is from my phone framework.jar

View attachment 5003

This makes sense why no matter what properties I set, it always returns the same thing. At this point, I think I'm almost over my head. Changing their default values to something US based and recompiling the file would be great, but beyond me. :) Anyone have any experience with this? Not sure if this would even fix it, but it could be worth a try.

I'll see what I can find for the specific Hardware Id "hwver" you posted. Also, do a quick search on the Model number "M799" on this site as some info has been posted.

Update: Here is the other post referencing Model M799 it is a work in progress as well. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-new-tablet-not-sure-exactly-what-i-have.html

Last edited:

PeteAttryde

Dec 22, 2011
cfrockit,

Thanks for the reply, I will look forward to any further information you may be able to supply.

I think I am probably at about the same point as compu_guy in as much as I think I have hit the limit of my understanding with how to edit the existing code to fix the issues.

Unfortunately searching for M799 (and similar) only seems to bring up this thread and the one you have linked to.

Pete.

update:

Got bored at work, so pulled the case off this thing again, and looked for a model number on the PCB. It appears to be an M2706 which when google'd threw up this thread :- http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=198.0 which seems to have some links for firmware in it. As I have nothing to loose I am going to try one and see what happens.

I will report back.

Pete.

Last edited:

PeteAttryde

Dec 22, 2011
Ok well, I am now somewhat frustrated. I have spent most of the day playing around with this.

I decided to use the EKEN firmware for the M009F (downloaded from here :- EKEN Support Tablet PC,Car Video Recorder,)

I followed the instructions on the site and downloaded the infoTMIC update tool and the Firmware.

I have extracted both .rar files to the desk top and then followed the instructions supplied for using an SD as I can't get usb connectivity and I can't for the life of me find the .ius file. Which has stopped me in my tracks.

I used winrar to extract the files.

Pete

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Ok well, I am now somewhat frustrated. I have spent most of the day playing around with this.

I decided to use the EKEN firmware for the M009F (downloaded from here :- EKEN Support Tablet PC,Car Video Recorder,)

I followed the instructions on the site and downloaded the infoTMIC update tool and the Firmware.

I have extracted both .rar files to the desk top and then followed the instructions supplied for using an SD as I can't get usb connectivity and I can't for the life of me find the .ius file. Which has stopped me in my tracks.

I used winrar to extract the files.

Pete
That's a simple one! They didn't provide the firmware packed into an InfoTMIC Update Wrap (.ius). They provided each of the individual images U0, Ramdisk, Kernel, Userdata, and system.

M009Fad23.rar\M009F\uboot\u-boot-nand.bin is U0

Not sure what is the difference to the two directories UsbtoEth-5P and Gmac-30P but all of the needed images are in either of the folders.

M009Fad23.rar\M009F\Image\Gmac-30P\android\
ramdisk.img
system.img
uImage "Kernel"
updater "RD_"
userdata.img

If you can't use IUW.exe in Expert mode: to select and burn each of the images, search for vio's IusEdit utility to create your own InfoTMIC Update Wrap (.ius) file to burn from sd.

Here is a link to the utility and in some of previous posts of the thread it show how it works. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...om-sylvania-rom-development-9.html#post106127

Last edited:

bionicboy12

Dec 23, 2011
Hi there,
I also have one of these Furious tabs but unlike the previous poster im a technophobe! All i would like to do is remove China telecoms so that the Uk app market is available to allow me to get skype and kindle. Any help would be great

PeteAttryde

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks again cfrokit,

I have managed to create a .ius and to get the device to boot from the SD card however, the EKEN firmware doesn't appear to be compatible with this unit as I am getting the following message:-

This is not a wrap for current product!!
Press Power key 7 sec to reboot !

re-booting the device, shows it still has the original firmware.
so I am close but not quite there yet.

update:

Worked out that I need to set the hwver to the one for this unit in the .IUS file

Now I get :-

Update package is demaged
Press Power key 7 sec to reboot !

So I guess I have not quite complied the .IUS correctly.

More later.

Pete

OK i'm stuck again :(.

I am definitely struggling with the coding as I don't really know what I am looking at.

Pete

Last edited:

PeteAttryde

Dec 22, 2011
bionicboy12,

From my research I am not totally convinced that there is a simple fix yet.

the thread cfrokit linked to further up implies that the region for market is coded into the operating system and will need to be edited to solve the issue.

If I can get mine to work with out the volume issues I have at the moment I am hoping to explore the coding and see if I can make market work correctly. I will also need to learn more about writing code.

zannyuk

Dec 23, 2011
Hi Pete,

Your doing brilliantly, once there unwrapped tommorow ill be able to join this party :)

I actually have 2, one is same as yours a m799 v2.2 but the other is m799 v2.0 The screen does seem more responsive on the v2.2.

What program did you use to root it?

maxwebb

Dec 27, 2011
Hello all I have a M009G Google Android 2.2 and im having the same problem its running off China Telecom Infotmic M799ca. so i cant add netflix or ireader its in chinesse can anyone help me soft mod this tablet to work from a american processer? here the link to the site i got it from http://www.***************/product63687.html

Apr 5, 2012
I think I used gingerbreak, but I can't be sure as I have looked at a lot of different apps and bits of software in the last few days and it is all blurring a bit at the moment.

Pete.

Any joy with this, I have exactly the same problem!