New here, need (lots of) help - Craig Slimbook CLP291

Mike Novack

Jan 30, 2016
Hi, my wife decided she wanted to try a small, portable device, so before getting something serious grabbed a cheap thing. So I am trying to get this Craig Slimbook CLP291 working for her. Without an adequate manual (I am a retired senior systems analyst; do poorly when it is just guessing).

Initial questions are in order of seriousness:

a) Totally new to this forum, don;t know the protocol. If this is not the right part of the forum to ask questions, please redirect me.

b) HOW do you enter the password? (how do you unlock it) The manual shows that locked page as the normal thing but says nothing about how you enter the password to unlock.
YES -- I have already restored the machine once (the manual did not bother saying "do not start this machine the first time at a location without wifi" -- could not from home DO the initial set up). Now I have done that and installed a few apps from the store, even used an editor to create a test document and able to find it again. But before doing more, shut down and restarted.

Locked (manual says normal) but no obvious place to enter the password set during initial set up.

c Getting apps from the store --- is there any way, if you know the name of an app, to get to it? I managed to find a few she might want just going through. But there MUST be a better way to find what you want (if you know the name) << I can do that from the app store site using one of our real computers ---- and since I also put on firefox, assuming I can get this netbook unlocked, can try seeing if I can install that way >>

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

On the password issue there are 2 different passwords. The initial username and password would be your Google account information. Any other tablet password would be one you would set, (if you needed it) in settings - security.

As for apps, are you using the Google Store app? If so you can search from within that app even by category and/or name. But you could also use a browser on your desktop to log into the Google account and tell it to install apps to the tablet from there.

I'm not sure if that helped or not.

Mike Novack

Jan 30, 2016
Thanks Leeshor, some of that will be of GREAT help.

But first an aside to folks who might be helping me. I will not be able to see and respond quickly. This is from my first connection to this forum from the house, and sorry, site not practical over a dial-up connection (this is a rural location, no cell service, no cable, phone lines won't even support DSL -- but a couple miles away is the library where I can connect by fiber 24x7). But don;t do that every day.

Password issue --- OK, I see I did the initial set up wrong. Nothing implied that there was a SECOND password to be specified. Possibly the "no place to enter a password" related to that (though the picture of the "normal" page in the manual doesn't show an obvious place).

Google store question ---- as the site appears when using the app store button I don;t see a place to enter a search target. But assuming I have reset the machine (doing the "settings" part this time) and gone to get apps, I can get Firefox which might give a more normal view of the site.

Not exactly a "desktop" at home, but a docked portable device (undock, take to place bandwidth is available). But the part about going to the site via one machine and telling it to install on a different machine, that puzzles me. My analyst mind can't see how that other machine (the install target) could be identified to the site. However simply going to the site via a normal browser and not that "shortcut" might do the trick << after I have the machine so that I can turn it off and reopen it and THEN I'll get apps for it >>

HOWEVER -- that leads to another question ---I did see reference to apps "that do not require wifi". Does that mean most/many do not work unless the netbook is at a location that has a wifi connection? In which case THOSE apps of limited utility. Penny hoped to be able to use the device as something she could take with her, write ideas down as they came, etc. (she's a poet). So would have to pick, for example, a word processor that did NOT require wifi active.

Sort of makes sense. A "free" app might be supported by advertising, but ads couldn't be sent to an unconnected device.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So sorry for your terrible Internet. When you initially set the tablet up you should have created a Google account if you didn't have one. That user and password is what you would use to log into the Google Store. The Store should have your device registered and if you pick an app that's compatible you can pick what device to install it on. You can use any browser, even the one on the tablet to log into the Store.

You're right about those free apps. Some will not work if they can't display the ads and they need a connection to do that. There are many free apps that don't have ads.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Mike, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new tablet. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.

BTW I'm moving your thread to the Craig Tablets forum for you, where more people familiar with those tablets are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Welcome - ATF (2)~01.jpg